Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The reason Roland parts have all but dried up on the web...

brenner13

This culture of disposability is unsustainable and has to change.

we are getting into that slippery slope here. the disposable commodity approach

to products is firmly rooted for a few decades. Simply, its cheaper.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure Korg is considering a similar policy strictly out of concern for safety to users and products - but of course :rolleyes: .

Kong ran out of parts for the CX3 like motherboards a long time ago. Apparently they did not or never-do a run of a lot of spare parts it seems to me. One can argue, "well the CX3 (BX3) is a pretty old keyboard", however, they have been out of parts for years and not long after the keyboard was discontinued, imo. As a person who repairs, for myself, electronic things by getting parts, these keyboard manufacturers are an object for concern. Imo, it is a more difficult situation when you cannot get a part and have to look for used than being concerned about paying a middleman for a part instead of a direct buy.

I have a Korg CX3 now that needs a new motherboard I got super cheap as "non-working" but MIDI works. (looked on and off for two years for a used one) (it could be converted to an HX3 but not as cleanly as the XB2). One day I may luck on a motherboard with a reasonable price or convert it. MIDI works. I could try reflowing the defective chips. (Reinstalling OS did not work.) Still glad I got it, like I said, I can convert it. Paid like 300.00 (I kinda still like the native sound on the CX3 as a collectors item)

WH

However, the idea that Roland has consciously decided to not make their parts available is ridiculous.

And obviously changes the advantage of buying Roland.

Not liking the idea of having to pay a tech $100 to replace a simple $15 switch.

Bad, bad corporate decision, in my opinion.

Not that anyone cares :/

I care. And I fully agree. Roland gained a lot of brownie points with me recently by issuing an unexpected firmware update to my vr09. This policy effectively cancels them all out. Clearly there are no musicians making decisions high up in that company... :(

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Odd that this happens at a time when so many stores have closed and it is so hard to find a service center. I was having to go 180 miles one way to find a repair shop. Now the music store is closed. Now it is a 4 hour drive to Nashville to find a certified Roland service center. :P

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Odd that this happens at a time when so many stores have closed and it is so hard to find a service center. I was having to go 180 miles one way to find a repair shop. Now the music store is closed. Now it is a 4 hour drive to Nashville to find a certified Roland service center. :P

It sucks but its not odd in harsh business sense. Sales/profit is not happening. Retail stores are closing ( in many industries} . Thats 'compression ' or shrinkage. Thus any support businesses will also shrink and disappear.

[70's Songwriter]

The disposable commodity approach to products is only cheaper in the short run for consumers. Non-biodegradable materials have only been around for about 80years and the Earth is being smothered by them. Think about this the next time you throw away 20 pounds of plastic because you couldnt get a $50 replacement part.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

I've done dozens of repairs on various brands of synths, and have NEVER ONCE gone back to the OEM for parts.

Are you sure this Roland part can't be found from some eBay seller selling all kinds of Roland synth parts? They must be out there. I always got my replacement parts from 3rd party online sellers.

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

I know the 3rd party places are out there but in my experience with Roland  which includes an XP50 I used in the 1990s, a PCR-M80 and now an A800 Pro I've gotten parts directly from them with no issue. Not anymore I guess.

The thread title struck me as funny. I have a Roland HD-1 drum kit, aka V-Drums Lite. There's a rubber piece in both pedals that acts as both spring and trigger. Over the years, the rubber piece hardens, causing the kick or hi-hat to not trigger without excessive force. I called Roland parts and while he gave me a part number, he said they couldn't sell me the part. I would have to buy it from an authorized service center. I contacted service centers near me and got no help. One didn't fix that product so couldn't or wouldn't get the part (he is also the local Hammond tech so I won't fault him, he's a great guy), and the other two simply didn't reply to me after I tried contacting them numerous ways.

After a bit of internet searching, I found a company online that had a Complete Range of Roland parts. While I didn't find the part I needed on their site, I contacted them and they did have it in stock. A few days later, I received the replacement parts and now my drum kit is working perfectly again. All it took is finding a dealer with a Comprehensive Circle of Roland parts.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Are you sure this Roland part can't be found from some eBay seller selling all kinds of Roland synth parts? They must be out there. I always got my replacement parts from 3rd party online sellers.

It's not clear when this new policy went into effect so there may still be NOS as well as used parts out there. But it sounds like additional parts will no longer be made available to these third party distributors.

After a bit of internet searching, I found a company online that had a Complete Range of Roland parts. While I didn't find the part I needed on their site, I contacted them and they did have it in stock. A few days later, I received the replacement parts and now my drum kit is working perfectly again. All it took is finding a dealer with a Comprehensive Circle of Roland parts.

It refers specifically to "internal parts". I don't think drum pedal parts would fall under this category. Also since they mentioned safety maybe Roland figured a drummer can't really do any more damage to himself. :laugh:

I find it interesting to see a thread on Roland parts availability.

A couple of years ago I discovered that the aftertouch on my Fantom X7 has stopped working. As it had always required a substantially and almost exorbitant amount of pressure for it to function I had, over time, started to use simply not use the feature on this board (I otherwise make extensive use of it on pretty much any of my boards that support it). Still it bothered me that it wasn't working on a keyboard that never left the studio and was otherwise in excellent shape so I decided that I would start troubleshooting it and fix it myself.

After determining that there was something physically wrong with the aftertouch strip I checked out the usual folks that sell Roland parts online (Syntaur, Full Compass, etc) with no luck. After that I sent an inquiry to Roland's parts division to see if i could get a replacement from them. They told me that since the part was no longer produced I would have to buy the whole keyboard assembly at just over $700 which they had no problem selling me if I was interested. For that price I most certainly was not.

The only other solution that they offered to me in the form of advice was to keep an eye on eBay and snag an aftertouch strip there. I have had an alert set for Fantom parts in general and an aftertouch strip in particular for a couple of years now and have yet to have seen just that part become available. The biggest irony for me has been that I was able to obtain replacement voice chips, albeit 3rd party remakes, for my much older Juno 106 with very little effort so maybe I just need to wait and hope that the Fantom becomes a higher standing member of the classic keyboards club and parts start coming to market for it but I'm not holding my breath.

I have a number of Roland's keyboards and modules in my studio and I love each of them for what they have been able to do but the experience in trying to get a replacement aftertouch strip for the Fantom has pretty much soured me on the thought of buying another Roland product again - ever. It would have to be pretty revolutionary and unique for me to ever consider it.

I am seeking the whole pitch stick assembly. Every online source seems to be out of stock. One of the replacements I have now, was procured from Syntar about a year ago (found the receipt when digging out the original benders; the direct Roland invoice was June 2016). As David (EscapeRocks) noted earlier, Syntar still has most of the components, but I really am better with the bigger pieces.

I happened across a complete Roland GW7 bender on eBay and decided to take the risk. There's probably a reason it is out of the machine, but at least I'll have some more parts.

It sucks but its not odd in harsh business sense. Sales/profit is not happening. Retail stores are closing ( in many industries} . Thats 'compression ' or shrinkage. Thus any support businesses will also shrink and disappear.

The other side of the coin is there's a lot more repair information available today than there was 20 years ago. Not only schematics but You Tube videos with step by step instructions. Besides various music gear I've fixed my microwave oven twice over the last 2 years (2 unrelated problems); water heater, snowblower, lawnmower, maybe a couple other things. I mentioned Hammonds/Leslies earlier in this thread - tons of technical detail out there that used to only exist in the hands of a few experts. For those that are capable and have the tools this is wonderful.

Obviously this hasn't helped the small repair shops but it's hard to assess how much impact this has had.

1) I Always keep the original shipping cartons. In the garage.

That´s what YOU can do in sunny california,- but here in my area it´s too wet and too cold for about 7 month a year.

Original boxes in my garage survive 1 or 2 years at max. before soaking thru and becoming unusable.

Not enough,- there are millions of people out there living in small appartements in expensive metropoles.

No garage, no basement, no room to stock original boxes of larger gear,- 88 weighted keys boards and speaker cabs p.ex..

I own 9 keyboards and racks full of 19" gear, studio monitor pairs, rackmount poweramps, rackmount computers, screens etc., etc..

Impossible to stock all the original boxes just only for the rare case of gear failure within the warranty period of approx. 3 years here when buying online.

I remember I sent a pair of Tannoy speakers to TEAC, which is the service center here,- and after weeks and only because I called and asked for, they told me they cannot recone because of unavailability of recone kits.

What left was I had to pay the shipping both directions and still the damaged speakers.

After that, I tried doing all alone and it worked because I´ve found friends in UK contacting Tannoy in scotland directly.

The same happened to me w/ an AKAI S-1100 sampler needing service.

The only AKAI cervice center in my country was unable repairing the thing,- not enough, they told me it will never happen and asked if they shall ship back the gear at all.

I said yes and they were pissed and then I recognized they wanted it themsleves for parts and for free.

The policy of those manufacturers is making the big "authorized" but also sometimes lousy working service centers survive.

They already have teir contracts.

The target is not protecting their gear,- it´s all about refusing skilled musicians or their skilled techs doing the repairs themselves and better.

On one side they wanna sell us 4K bucks expensive pieces of gear and OTOH they kick our ass refusing delivering schematics and parts.

Amateurs can wait,- pros won´t.

In the past, when I toured, my gear had to be repaired same day and it worked in most cases.

Today it´s a desaster.

No wonder I don´t buy often anymore.

Humans learn !

A.C.

1) I Always keep the original shipping cartons. In the garage.

That´s what YOU can do in sunny california,- but here in my area it´s too wet and too cold for about 7 month a year.

Original boxes in my garage survive 1 or 2 years at max. before soaking thru and becoming unusable.

A.C.

yes, I forgot. Us Californians have our own weather bubble. Also garages are often

part of the house. They are insulated, protected from the ravages of our winter of 15 inches of rain. This design likely started in the 50's out west.

Anyway, thats 1 reason I moved to CA back in 1977, from tropical sunny Chicago.

[70's Songwriter]

It refers specifically to "internal parts". I don't think drum pedal parts would fall under this category. Also since they mentioned safety maybe Roland figured a drummer can't really do any more damage to himself. :laugh:

Heh - It took some disassembly to install this part, though. Heck, because the whole kit is integrated, I had to take the pedals off after laying the kit on the floor.

http://media.musiciansfriend.com/is/image/MMGS7/HD-1-V-Drums-Lite-Electronic-Drum-Kit/449781000000000-00-500x500.jpg

Have you checked with ?
:facepalm:

Also, Discussing specific pricing/talking about specific retailers

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Heh - It took some disassembly to install this part, though. Heck, because the whole kit is integrated, I had to take the pedals off after laying the kit on the floor.

Good point Joe. It really is more about whom, than what.

:poke::poke::poke:

Of course, but to take away "self service" in these times is counterproductive, as evidenced on this forum.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Well, as an authorized Roland service center, I appreciate the move to restrict parts sales to repair depots. I've seen my share of 'basket case' repairs botched by users who are not qualified to work on complex electronic devices. This change of policy ensures proper repairs to Roland products and supports the network of authorized repair depots, which will hopefully help those of us still offering service to remain in business.

I need to look at Roland's financials but they appear in every way to be circling the drain towards bankruptcy. They've been scaling back their product line up, do not even have a workstation on the market, and haven't been a major presence at NAMM in a while.

They seem to be abandoning the pro market and focusing their efforts on cheaper, consumer synths.

It's all pointing to the end for Roland. Honestly they haven't been a real player for a number of years and the Big Three have become the Big Two.

The last pro board they released was the Jupiter 80 and that was 7 years ago. It's a shame because in the early aughts I thought the Fantom X and G was superior in a lot of ways to the Triton and Motif.

1)I need to look at Roland's financials but they appear in every way to be circling the drain towards bankruptcy. They've been scaling back their product line up,

2) do not even have a workstation on the market, and haven't been a major presence at NAMM in a while.

They seem to be abandoning the pro market and focusing their efforts on cheaper, consumer synths.

It's all pointing to the end for Roland. Honestly they haven't been a real player for a number of years and the Big Three have become the Big Two.

3)The last pro board they released was the Jupiter 80 and that was 7 years ago. It's a shame because in the early aughts I thought the Fantom X and G was superior in a lot of ways to the Triton and Motif.

I will make an attempt to address your post.

1) I don't believe you will find current financials. Roland was Delisted from the Tokyo Stock Exchange in 2014. What I recall is they did major restructuring, may have gotten other sources of capital either via debt or private equity placement.

2) The FA is a work station. Its about 3 yrs old. Its a very good w/s. Not exactly an ' all in one ' but a good product at a sharp price.

3) thats a reflection of the prior management. The all in 1 w/s market is a niche to these big cos. Possibly the profit and sales potential is not large enough for a 2nd or 3rd player. Many have gone to DAW's, etc, etc. The niche almost became a whisper until Korg revived it with Kronos in 2011. (thats my opinion)

[70's Songwriter]

Well, as an authorized Roland service center, I appreciate the move to restrict parts sales to repair depots. I've seen my share of 'basket case' repairs botched by users who are not qualified to work on complex electronic devices. This change of policy ensures proper repairs to Roland products and supports the network of authorized repair depots, which will hopefully help those of us still offering service to remain in business.

I certainly wish you continued success in your business, but what percentage of folks needing parts are like the few of us here that do have enough experience to replace a membrane switch or paddle assembly? When the USB jack on my A800 Pro failed Roland only offered to sell me a main board for $215 so now I would need to pay that, plus your labor, plus traveling to your location (twice I presume, since I've never heard of a service center that fixes "while you wait") or shipping my keyboard and being without it for a week or more, because a $2 part failed. For a keyboard that costs $400 brand new? I would like to be more supportive of any small business, but I believe the way modern electronics are made today makes a company like Roland as guilty as any of us parts-demanding shlubs for your issues! Just to add, QSC will sell me individual parts with the help of some knowledgeable folk here, I replaced an inductor on my K8. $19 plus shipping iirc. Yes a repair center lost some business, but for every one of me there has to be ten or more QSC owners that would have brought their non-functioning K8s to a service center where I'm guessing they would have just replaced the main amp board for $300.

In any event I will always use authorized service for a warrantee repair. Once a piece is out of warrantee I think those of us with experience should be able to attempt our own repairs if we fail, it's on us, and might mean more work for you!

Hey Ken-

I hope my viewpoint doesn't come across as trivializing or worse undermining the authorized repair shops such as yours. I probably pissed off 1 or 2 others here recently but for me the electronics is part of the hobby/joy. Throughout my electronics career I was and am still an advocate of sharing knowledge/experience, even with those you "compete" with potentially lowering your perceived value. If that means you've just armed someone with the ability to repair his keyboard himself so be it. I don't think monopolizing parts is the answer. The guys I consult with diagnosing certain problems and the experts that help me (some on this forum including yourself) hopefully feel the same way. Plus I'm even more inclined (and do) buy parts from them and throw business their way through recommendations and such. Also I would think the DIY guys are a very small percentage of the market.

And really stupid question but isn't getting a botched repair job good for your business as far as having more work, selling more parts etc.? Btw Moog expressed similar in backing their repair/mod policy of doing everything in-house. This isn't helping businesses like yours, it's supposedly helping keep them in business. I'm all for Moog staying in business but again I don't think this best serves all customers.

Edit: Just seeing now that Reezekeys beat me to a lot of my points :mad:

I certainly wish you continued success in your business, but what percentage of folks needing parts are like the few of us here that do have enough experience to replace a membrane switch or paddle assembly? When the USB jack on my A800 Pro failed Roland only offered to sell me a main board for $215 so now I would need to pay that, plus your labor, plus traveling to your location (twice I presume, since I've never heard of a service center that fixes "while you wait") or shipping my keyboard and being without it for a week or more, because a $2 part failed. For a keyboard that costs $400 brand new? I would like to be more supportive of any small business, but I believe the way modern electronics are made today makes a company like Roland as guilty as any of us parts-demanding shlubs for your issues! Just to add, QSC will sell me individual parts with the help of some knowledgeable folk here, I replaced an inductor on my K8. $19 plus shipping iirc. Yes a repair center lost some business, but for every one of me there has to be ten or more QSC owners that would have brought their non-functioning K8s to a service center where I'm guessing they would have just replaced the main amp board for $300.

In any event I will always use authorized service for a warrantee repair. Once a piece is out of warrantee I think those of us with experience should be able to attempt our own repairs if we fail, it's on us, and might mean more work for you!

there are 2 schools of thought here, I think.

Both equally true. Zen.

I understand that many, like yourself, have a skill and you utilize it wisely.

I have seen some miserable DIY hack jobs on the Kronos. Its almost a crime

to see a botched job like this. I have a local friend ( against my advice) bought a K

cheaply on CL. What a mess of repair.

The auth service centers likely see these botched DIY's as they bounce around on the used market. I can understand kenheeter's post completely.

[70's Songwriter]

This post shows exactly what your true interest is,- surviving in the biz.

That´s not a bad thing, but it´s also not my interest making you or other "authorized" service centers survive, at least not, when I read such arrogant statement above, prejudging every user as unqualified.

There are simply lots of users out there being able to do repairs,- at least the simpler ones like changing pots and sliders, jacks and even exchanging circuit boards.

It´s not that difficult it always requires shipping gear back and forth and paying insane money just only for replacing a tact switch or such.

In my case, I don´t do tricky repairs myself but have a repair shop in my basement w/ oscilloscope, function generator, isolating transformer, soldering station, desoldering station and now new, a station for soldering SMD parts.

There are more tools and one of my friends is an educated and qualified service tech who worked for big music shops for decades.

In addition he´s also a keyboardplayer and runs his own studio, which is very welcome because he´s not only "techy" thinking, thinks as a musician in addition.

We do all the repairs on my gear and it´s qualified work.

In opposite to those "authorized" service centers, we have enough time searching for the reason of failures and malfunctionality w/o creating exploding costs making any service/repair unreliable and senseless.

It´s especially useful because I want to keep my old gear alive and don´t want to buy new gear all the time.

The old gear is what I know and don´t have to learn new,- and I don´t have any interest to learn new every 3 years or so.

Roland´s main target is making repairs expensive and telling users "repair is more trouble than it´s worth,- buy new".

I already heard that too often meanwhile, also for consumer electronics (SONY p.ex.).

It seems it´s a working business model,- but I myself won´t buy any piece of Roland gear anymore when in house repairs will become impossible,- period.

I hope other´s will do the same.

A.C.

Archived