Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The reason Roland parts have all but dried up on the web...

brenner13

All I want is a pitch paddle for my out-of-warranty VR09 and another for my Fantom X7 both of which have gone wonky. This is a most simple replacement/repair that I've had to do on nearly every Roland I've ever owned. Perhaps I'm just overly exuberant with my modulation, but I've NEVER had any issues on a synth with wheels.

Anyhow, I am pretty ticked off that Roland won't supply parts to the general public anymore. So much so that I'll remove any future Roland from my wish lists. They've just lost a lifelong supporter.

Here's the reply to my parts inquiry:

"Service Admin (Roland Corporation)

Hello Brad,

Roland Corporation has had a global policy change and does not sell internal components directly. We believe all internal parts that require disassembling of the products to replace should be done by an authorized service center due to safety reasons for both users and products. Please use our service center locator to find a service center in your area for your repair or you may send the unit directly to Roland and we will be happy to assist you."

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you're going to limit your purchases to companies who will sell spare parts to end users, I think you're going to have a short list.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

This and obtaining schematics has been a frustration of mine for many years. Not sure if this is compatible with your model but you might give them a call.

Crap - sorry, I missed where it says "out of stock"

If you're going to limit your purchases to companies who will sell spare parts to end users, I think you're going to have a short list.

I feel the OP on this one. I live in area that is far enough off the beaten path that it was really handy for me to travel an hour and a half away, buy hammers, keys, speakers, etc. to repair a lot of Roland gear here locally, at area churches, etc. The price to get a tech to come to this part of NC is ridiculous and there are others that will be affected the same way. I am currently stocking up on a lot of spares from the internet, ebay, etc. I guess I grew up in the age of D.I.Y,'ers and parts availability definitely influences my choice of purchases too. :idk

"Life Is Just A Game And They're Many Ways To Play...All You Do Is Choose." SC 1976

Fantom, XP 80, DX7 IIFD w/"E", Ensoniq ESQ 1, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Roland S 10, Korg Triton LE with EXB, GEM RP2

All I want is a pitch paddle for my out-of-warranty VR09 and another for my Fantom X7 both of which have gone wonky. This is a most simple replacement/repair that I've had to do on nearly every Roland I've ever owned. Perhaps I'm just overly exuberant with my modulation, but I've NEVER had any issues on a synth with wheels.

Anyhow, I am pretty ticked off that Roland won't supply parts to the general public anymore. So much so that I'll remove any future Roland from my wish lists. They've just lost a lifelong supporter.

Here's the reply to my parts inquiry:

"Service Admin (Roland Corporation)

Hello Brad,

Roland Corporation has had a global policy change and does not sell internal components directly. We believe all internal parts that require disassembling of the products to replace should be done by an authorized service center due to safety reasons for both users and products. Please use our service center locator to find a service center in your area for your repair or you may send the unit directly to Roland and we will be happy to assist you."

not even a little surprised.

1 of the main reasons I did not buy a used X7 or X8 last year was the age of both plus the inevitable breakdown of parts + the hassle/cost of finding replacement parts.

I understand there are many owners that prefer DIY on old boards. It might be a difficult game to play.

I also observe there is an expectation that boards like the Extreme or triton will last 15 or 20 years. They might, but certain parts, like the buttons will go to crap. I prefer to not keep boards like these for the long term.

Lots of preference going on and each person has his/her own requirements.

FYI, I am a +7 yr Kronos 88 owner. So far, everything is good. Realistically, the keybed might start wearing down . But I hope to get another 2 solid years of use. It will be

a good test of a $3500 keyboard with old mostly assembled components.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

This and obtaining schematics has been a frustration of mine for many years. Not sure if this is compatible with your model but you might give them a call.

Yes, Sam Mims (he was an Ensoniq programmer like myself in the 80's) is a great source of stuff you can't find anywhere else. A great guy to know but a lot of his supplies, he is not replenishing for the same reason. You ever feel like this is symptomatic of this "disposable" society we live in? Everyone doesn't want to make new purchase of gear every 4-5 years. (especially when synth/keyboard manufactures trying to recycle early products be it in hardware or software form) Let me pause this rant before I get way out there :cool:

"Life Is Just A Game And They're Many Ways To Play...All You Do Is Choose." SC 1976

Fantom, XP 80, DX7 IIFD w/"E", Ensoniq ESQ 1, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Roland S 10, Korg Triton LE with EXB, GEM RP2

Yeah, probably a bit hasty with my boycott. Just pee-oh'd right now.

Brad,

what on the thing is broken? Have you opened up the unit?

As you said, it is a VERY simple unit to replace. When I had my VR09 totally apart to paint it, the entire pitch/mod assembly was just a few screws and the wire harness that plugged into another board. Took maybe 3 seconds to remove it.

The reason I ask if you've already been inside the VR09 is because I saw a couple places where a couple things could get out of place with that assembly, causing a disconnect.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

If you end up taking it to an authorized service center I recommend you request that he/she order spare parts for you; extra paddle for sure, maybe key contacts, buttons, whatever. Either that or keep an eye on ebay/reverb for a cheap duplicate junker.

I've replaced the paddles in both machines once already due to a design flaw. Over time, these parts seem to develop a kind of hiccup when applying pitch bend. The problem seems to be with something in the center dent...worn potentiometer? The parts in both units were used ones found on eBay. I repaired a friend's X6 with one I think was obtained directly from Roland USA years ago. That one still operates like new (a studio board and not much play).

I've got the originals and will attempt to refurbish them.

I agree on the Schematics and especially with companies bought by Berhibger recently. I wanted my tech to fix an old TC Electronic Phaser XII, the LFO for the speed was not working anymore....When he asked TC for the Schematic, they pushed him back...Well, kind of understandable from a company who has started his business in copying the Schematics from others but my pedal is useless just due to that kind of attitude...I hate that...

It doesn't seem to be the same for Guitar Amp tough....One of my Egnator Tweaker power transformer was dead and it's famous for having a flaw in the design that breaks regularly the Fuse but I was able to find a third part component for a spare part company with a better quality and even if it was more expensive, I'm very happy with it now so, the consumption market attitude has not reached every market but with synths that are expensive at first, I agree with you, we should always be able to get replacement parts and schematic to fix them even after years...

Stage 2, C2, NL2X+TC Pedals, P08+Tetra+H9, P12+TC Chorus D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200&2605.

we should always be able to get replacement parts and schematic to fix them even after years...

+1 :like:

I always bought parts from Roland directly.

Now when that will be impossible for the future, I won´t buy any piece of Roland gear anymore until it will be possible again.

A.C.

You know...maybe I should just buy the Roland rack units instead of actual keyboards...

If I buy Roland at all.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Brad,

FYI, Syntaur has everything for that assembly but the lever in stock.

If you are having an issue with the potentiometer, they have those in stock as well.

You'd need to de-solder the old one to install the replacement.

Based on your description of the issue, it could be the little screw that holds the lever tight against the last part of the potentiometer knob?

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Wow, I'm with you guys - this new policy is making me seriously rethink buying any expensive new Roland.

I have been seriously considering upgrading my VR09. Was probably going to go with a VR730 vs. a Crumar (or other boutique clonewheel) based on the assumption that I could get it fixed more easily, or buy the part and fix it myself.

However, the idea that Roland has consciously decided to not make their parts available is ridiculous.

And obviously changes the advantage of buying Roland.

Not liking the idea of having to pay a tech $100 to replace a simple $15 switch.

Bad, bad corporate decision, in my opinion.

Not that anyone cares :/

It's amazing that 50-70 year old Hammonds/Leslie's are easier to service then the modern stuff with parts and schematics readily available.

Precisely why the majority of gear in my arsenal is old stuff.

I do have SOME modern stuff... schematics for those? Not really.

Do I inspect modern gear for long life build? Youbetcherass.

Precisely why the majority of gear in my arsenal is old stuff.

I do have SOME modern stuff... schematics for those? Not really.

Same here,- and it also rules for my car as well as for my computers !

Do I have enough room to stock original boxes for shipping gear to service centers ? No !

Can I afford buying 2 identical items to have a replacement when a piece of gear needs service/ repair and will be out of the house for weeks or month then ? No !

Do THEY offer a replacement for the time the gear needs to be repaired ? No !

What do they think ?

A.C.

To be fair Roland isn't the first synth keyboard company to institute this policy. Moog will not provide schematics although I think they provide parts - at least through third party distributors. Kurzweil - same deal I believe. And going back to my first encounter with this type policy Ensoniq would not release schematics. I tried to repair a friend's ESQ1 and back then it seemed really restrictive with other companies like Moog (the original) providing full schematics and service notes with the owner's manual :idk .

I'll still purchase certain equipment knowing parts and/or schematics are unobtainium if I think the benefits outweigh the risk. I do have a couple of very expensive pieces where there are no authorized service centers and I can't contact the manufacturer. No real problems so far but I will try to seek out these keepers of the rings when I travel.

I don't own any Roland equipment but I do wonder what really inspired this policy all of a sudden. Did someone choke on an inductor? :rolleyes::freak:

So if I have a note go bad and I need a new bubble membrane switch I have to ship my $400 controller, probably pay $100 or more (parts & labor) and wait a week or two for a $5 part I can install in 15 minutes? Thanks Roland!

I'm going to resist this change!

:rimshot:

I'm sure Korg is considering a similar policy strictly out of concern for safety to users and products - but of course :rolleyes: .

[g]

:roll eyes:

of course.

I enjoy sarcasm when the legal stuff is used to obfuscate that the company is cheaping out on parts. Its all about money. I think the big and medium sized cos do the same

[70's Songwriter]

[qut really.

Same here,- and it also rules for my car as well as for my computers !

1)Do I have enough room to stock original boxes for shipping gear to service centers ? No !

2) Can I afford buying 2 identical items to have a replacement when a piece of gear needs service/ repair and will be out of the house for weeks or month then ? No !

3)Do THEY offer a replacement for the time the gear needs to be repaired ? No !

What do they think ?

A.C.

Disclaimer: I am not a gear hoarder or a gear hog or whatever.

1) I Always keep the original shipping cartons. In the garage.

Cartons come in very handy.

Plus I am too cheap to buy $300 gator cases.

2) and 3) this is a total suck problem. If Korg or Roland had serious service, they

would help arrange loaners at service centers when their dodgy gear breaks

down and can't be fixed for a month due to the parts shortage BS.

[70's Songwriter]

Unfortunately, this isn't a new problem. Ask any independent servicer - that is, one who isn't "factory authorized".

Search "Right to Repair" if you want to learn more. Here are a few links for those of you with concerns:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/fight-right-repair-180959764/

https://repair.org/

https://www.wired.com/2017/03/right-to-repair-laws/

One of the impediments is that legislators are much more likely to support corporations than individuals.

For some parts, this may eventually be an answer:

https://www.strategyand.pwc.com/reports/future-spare-parts-3d

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

Unfortunately, this isn't a new problem. Ask any independent servicer - that is, one who isn't "factory authorized".

Search "Right to Repair" if you want to learn more. Here are a few links for those of you with concerns:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/fight-right-repair-180959764/

https://repair.org/

https://www.wired.com/2017/03/right-to-repair-laws/

One of the impediments is that legislators are much more likely to support corporations than individuals.

For some parts, this may eventually be an answer:

https://www.strategyand.pwc.com/reports/future-spare-parts-3d

good articles, thanks. My specific gripe is with manufacturers that ' over promise

and under deliver '. Under deliver can be dressed up in various ways, such as it takes

a month to find the darn part, the cost has gotten ' arbitraged ' by speculators hoping to gouge.

When i read assurances " We keep parts available for 5 years after product EOL", I am skeptical since its a big hassle to find parts when the product is currently in production.

Or the part is $500, etc, etc.

[70's Songwriter]

Not Roland or keyboard related, but last year I had my 2013 iPad go out on me, and Apples policy was dont repair, replace. Some nonsense about they do repair phones and Macs, but not iPads.

This culture of disposability is unsustainable and has to change.

Archived