Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Older MBP's

J. Dan

I have a mid 2009 13" MBP - I know pretty old. I got it cheap mainly to work with my presonus digital mixer since it has native FireWire and it works fpgreat still for that purpose, no problems, I never had intentions of doing any of the main stage rigs you guys do or anything like that.

That said, I'm on OSX 10.9.5. The latest OS is not compatible, I know more recent OS's were but are now not available, I got a new phone and it said it can't sync with my version of iTunes. Go to update iTunes and it wants to update OS which is incompatible, end of the road,

I know it's old, but surely it should handle syncing the same content with my new phone that was on my old phone, geez!

I'm not as up to date on this MBP as it will support, but those versions aren't available. Is there a way to get them? A way to bring it as up to date as it will support?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a mid 2009 13" MBP - I know pretty old. I got it cheap mainly to work with my presonus digital mixer since it has native FireWire and it works fpgreat still for that purpose, no problems, I never had intentions of doing any of the main stage rigs you guys do or anything like that.

That said, I'm on OSX 10.9.5. The latest OS is not compatible, I know more recent OS's were but are now not available, I got a new phone and it said it can't sync with my version of iTunes. Go to update iTunes and it wants to update OS which is incompatible, end of the road,

I know it's old, but surely it should handle syncing the same content with my new phone that was on my old phone, geez!

I'm not as up to date on this MBP as it will support, but those versions aren't available. Is there a way to get them? A way to bring it as up to date as it will support?

Hey Dan, I was just working with something like this about a month ago. You can still get El Capitan (10.11) from Apple. That's the last one that your computer supports from what I read. The only others are Sierra and High Sierra. But I was able to get the El Capitan and then use it as a stepping stone for the update to Sierra. However, that computer was a bit newer, it was a Mid-2011 iMac. Its OS was 10.6 Snow Leopard, which was what I had to install from the disks that came with it originally. So 3 versions back from yours, which is OS X Mavericks.

Apple's link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

Report back if you need tech help with it. :-)

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

If you're feeling lucky, macOS High Sierra Patcher Tool for Unsupported Macs. There's a version for Sierra on the site as well.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If you're feeling lucky, macOS High Sierra Patcher Tool for Unsupported Macs. There's a version for Sierra on the site as well.

LOL, I don't feel very lucky, TBH!

The thing is that the application I bought it for works fine and I don't want to mess that up. It's just that I hate to own it for just one app that I rarely use. I'd like to at least be able to back up my phone! The fact I can't use iTunes with my phone on it is just crazy to me.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Have you considered loading Windows 10 on your MBP by using Bootcamp? You would then be able to use the current Windows version of iTunes to back up your phone.

Here's a link to a MacRumors thread discussing the process:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/running-windows-10-on-2009-macbook-pro.1952153/

Nord Stage 3 HA88, Nord Stage 3 Compact, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30, Rolls PM55P, K&M 18880 + 18881, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII, Zoom Q2n-4K

Have you considered loading Windows 10 on your MBP by using Bootcamp? You would then be able to use the current Windows version of iTunes to back up your phone.

Here's a link to a MacRumors thread discussing the process:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/running-windows-10-on-2009-macbook-pro.1952153/

No I hadn't, but that's a good suggestion, thanks!

Dan

Same problem. I'm on 10.6.8.

I can go up one more, but then the versions of Word/Excel etc. I have will no longer work.

But yeah, my phone outpaced the OS so it won't work with this computer anymore. Apple. Don't get me started.

Good news was, I found some old gear and software at school and I've been able to load Finale and Cubase on it and they work great, and can use an old Firewire Audio/MIDI interface (FOUR physical MIDI ins and outs!!!) so I've been able to build a little home studio out of my older gear and all this other gear from the same time period.

But pretty soon, Firefox is going to stop working...

At least my old iPods will work as well - been loading up my old CDs to iTunes (can't even do that with a new Mac - no drive!). Found an old extra iPod that had been MIA so now I have one to take for break music during gigs.

Okay, a 9-year-old computer not keeping up with modern software or hardware is "planned obsolescence", really? I kind of accept these things, but I get not being happy about it.

I definitely get the iPhone conundrum. There are workarounds, none of them very pretty. Running Bootcamp & Windows, that's a bit much imo. Maybe a virtualized OS - you can run older MacOSes in Parallels, or the free Virtual Box.

Yeah I don't have a lot of expectations in terms of updates and support, it's mainly the iPhone/iTunes thing that bothers me because it has iTunes and I can't sync my phone anymore. Not looking for any new features or anything special, just to continue syncing files like it already did. Especially since my iCloud storage is full and I don't want to have to pay for more.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Have you looked into the El Capitan update yet? I know Im repeating myself, but El Capitan is the newest you can go, and it is still available.

-Max

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Iphones and itunes and syncing...grrr

All I want to do is have my computer see my phone/tablet as a hard drive and I'll be happy. Apple makes it such a nightmare to get files onto your devices.

I have an even older MBP I bought new in 2007-2008 and I gave up a long time ago with trying to sync my iPhone with it. I am able to do just about anything I need with my iPhone or Mac without a sync between devices. Is there a main use case you're missing due to the lack of sync?

Nowadays, I lightly use my old MBP for some email/web stuff, Nord Sound Manager and a few other things that still work fine (albeit a bit slower) on my 10+ year old MBP.

I have it on my wish list to get a new MBP - they are sweet. One of my college daughters needed a new computer unexpectedly and we got her the new MBP which is awesome.

Iphones and itunes and syncing...grrr

All I want to do is have my computer see my phone/tablet as a hard drive and I'll be happy. Apple makes it such a nightmare to get files onto your devices.

Agreed. Just make it come up as a drive. It's easy to do, they just don't want to allow it.

Okay, a 9-year-old computer not keeping up with modern software or hardware is "planned obsolescence", really?

Well, the new printer I bought works with it. It still runs on the same internet it always has.

Apple has always pushed it - first the floppy drives, now the CD drives, then the 3.5 miniplug jack (how do I hook it into my PA again?). I think - I haven't checked - but I know .mid files will no longer play back on our desktops in the classroom. Makes me wonder if they removed the synth chip from the soundcard as well...

Sure, 9 years is ancient in computer terms, but damn, I buy a bluetooth device new and it still works with it. As I just responded in the other er, response, the "proprietariness" is what gets me. Just make the thing show up like a drive.

So yeah, not happy about it.

It was the "planned" part that got me. Like Apple (or any other computer soft or hardware manufacturer) has a crystal ball and knows exactly what's gonna be happening nine years in the future. It's just a given that things in this particular market can change bigly as hardware and software gets faster and adds features. And, the market changes in ways that will influence hard & software design and that is often not predictable.

Not that Apple needs me to defend it but you could say that they've done a pretty good job (in some areas at least) in terms of keeping older software useful. When OSX came out their computers could still boot OS9. When they killed OS9 they gave us Classic. When they switched to Intel chips they gave us Rosetta.

I'm guessing the reason they don't let us hook an iPhone to our computer and have it come up as a drive is because they've designed a very elaborate syncing system between our phones, Macs and iCloud that depends on them running a tight ship with that stuff. So yea, we have to pretty much bend over and do it their way, but is this really news for Apple users? To paraphrase a TV network they decide, we complain! That's pretty much always been the case. I reoriented my thinking a while ago and started using iCloud, and it actually all works pretty nicely without me having to do anything or think about it. I just tried Airdrop for the first time, that's pretty cool. And there are 3rd-party apps that might actually let you do exactly what you want to do here's one for free (I have not tried it): https://www.easeus.com/phone-transfer/mobimover-free.html

Hi Dan,

Have you looked into the El Capitan update yet? I know Im repeating myself, but El Capitan is the newest you can go, and it is still available.

-Max

Is there some secret way to get it? When I check for updates It just comes up with "no updates available". When I try to update iTunes, it takes me to the OS update since the latest iTunes is not compatible, and gives me the same "no updates available".

Supposing I use bootcamp and reinstall iTunes as suggested, would I need to deauthorize iTunes on the MacOS boot? Since my iCloud is full, can I transfer everything from my current iTunes to the new iTunes on the windows boot?

Dan

Hi Dan,

-Max

Is there some secret way to get it? When I check for updates It just comes up with "no updates available". When I try to update iTunes, it takes me to the OS update since the latest iTunes is not compatible, and gives me the same "no updates available".

El Capitan here on this. (though I have other Apple computers) I have a 2008 MBP I still use with an SSD. It is really a 2007 I bought new I put an upgraded logic board in it a very long time ago. I have other computers but I still like this and it is very fast. Apple has not sent the infamous 'battery code' to slow it down. LOL! So I still use it. Apple has been doing some peculiar things. I got a mass email today from iFixit that cited Apple sued and lost 3rd party repair facilities. I will probably for the first time ever use a Samsung next phone due to all the shenanigans and underhanded, imo, stuff.

Apple cuts off the operating system because they want you to buy a new computer knowing the old computer is still a great computer and fast like this I am typing on. This I use also with a piano controller (among other computers) to stream large sample pianos. It still works and it has Logic X in it.

Sometimes you can find operating systems on a direct download. I did this with Lion with an old Macbook some time ago. (and THAT was still a great computer with an SSD but unusable now since Apple cut off the operating system.)

ALL Apple laptops will be forced by Apple, imo, to be unusable eventually by cutting off the OS updates to try to force you to buy a new/newer laptop. With the phones they were caught slowing down they admitted and said it was related to the "battery".

A laptop gets worst and worst and when you are about a few OS updates behind it is hard to get an app that will work. It will say, "you need OS X version XXXX for this to run." (paraphrased)

As far as Batteygate: 11.3 reportedly is aimed to resolve but it is said it introduced new problems targeted at independent repair. - including bricking some iPhones with aftermarket screens.

Update: Here it is from the update (OT a bit). Apple says: "Note: Non-genuine replacement displays may have compromised visual quality and may fail to work correctly. Apple-certified screen repairs are performed by trusted experts who use genuine Apple parts. See (Apple link) for more information"

So it looks like they are bricking older phones with what-was-once a compatible display replacement from a broken screen.

The sad part about this is that I am sure many think they have an OEM screen, say, from eBay when it was not the truth so they will update and have a bricked phone.

WH

Here's my aging MBP story. I have a Mid 2009 13" MacBook Pro that's been a real workhorse over the years. I got a MacBook Air several years ago, so the MBP went down to the rehearsal room and it gets used for various tasks - rehearsal tracks, recording stuff to Logic, and so on.

I have a new task that it seemingly would be perfect for: I've been wanting to get multitrack recordings of our weekly gig. The venue has a Behringer x32 board, so everything can come in over USB.

RAM is maxed out at 8 GB. First I tried recording to the internal drive, an older Intel 520 Series SSD. That sorta works, except once or twice per set Logic Pro X would complain that the disk was too slow and would stop recording. I know that SSD write latency is quite variable because on some writes the SSD firmware has to do some housekeeping before doing a write. Also, I can't even remember when I bought the SSD, so maybe it's just too old.

So I bought a new & much faster Samsung SSD, enabled TRIM, but same issue. I'm recording about 26 tracks, and the disk meter is usually around 10-20% but maybe every 5 or 10 minutes spikes up to near 100% and maybe 20% of the time that happens, it'll give up the ghost and stop recording. CPU usage never goes above 10%. So it doesn't seem to be a CPU issue, it's strictly a matter of getting stuff written to disk reliably.

I have some USB drives sitting around, so first I tried a USB powered hard drive, and that was worse. The next week I tried a 7200 rpm externally powered USB drive, and that was better but still couldn't keep up. Same basic issue.

At this point my theory was: OK, SSD write latency is probably too variable. And maybe it's not good to be writing so much data to disk via USB while also having all that audio data coming in over USB. It's a 6 piece band with two drummers, so I really do need ("need") to write about 26 tracks.

Next I decided to spring for a 7200 rpm internal drive and an OWC data doubler, replacing the optical drive. That gets the destination HDD off the USB bus, and surely that would solve the issue. The disk overhead % as displayed in Logic did drop - the lowest of all configurations, but still it spikes up every 5 or 10 minutes, and while it stops recording less frequently, it's still happening.

Considering that it's able to write merrily to disk for 20-30-40 minutes at a stretch, there's gotta be something going on in the system that decides to run periodically, and that's what's hosing things up.

Googled the issue, and tried two additional steps: 1) I completely reformatted the SSD boot drive and did a clean install of El Capitan from a thumb drive install image, and 2) I disabled journaling for the 7200 rpm HDD in case it's indexing that's causing me to blow up.

TRIM is enabled for the SSD boot drive. Wifi is turned off while recording. It still isn't working reliably enough to get through a gig without crapping out.

I'm open to suggestions for other stuff to try. At this point I'm considering doing a clean install of Yosemite to see if the hardware is any happier running the older OS.

Yeah I don't have a lot of expectations in terms of updates and support, it's mainly the iPhone/iTunes thing that bothers me because it has iTunes and I can't sync my phone anymore. Not looking for any new features or anything special, just to continue syncing files like it already did. Especially since my iCloud storage is full and I don't want to have to pay for more.

The suggestion by mighty motif max to update to El Capitan with the link

I think that might have been the correct answer

Hi Dan,

-Max

Supposing I use bootcamp and reinstall iTunes as suggested, would I need to deauthorize iTunes on the MacOS boot? Since my iCloud is full, can I transfer everything from my current iTunes to the new iTunes on the windows boot?

I thought I put the link in my first post. (Edit: I did.)

Here it is again - Apple has a whole page on it. Same exact thing as I used. Worked fine.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

Let me know if this doesn't work.

Here's my aging MBP story. I have a Mid 2009 13" MacBook Pro that's been a real workhorse over the years. I got a MacBook Air several years ago, so the MBP went down to the rehearsal room and it gets used for various tasks - rehearsal tracks, recording stuff to Logic, and so on.

I have a new task that it seemingly would be perfect for: I've been wanting to get multitrack recordings of our weekly gig. The venue has a Behringer x32 board, so everything can come in over USB.

RAM is maxed out at 8 GB. First I tried recording to the internal drive, an older Intel 520 Series SSD. That sorta works, except once or twice per set Logic Pro X would complain that the disk was too slow and would stop recording. I know that SSD write latency is quite variable because on some writes the SSD firmware has to do some housekeeping before doing a write. Also, I can't even remember when I bought the SSD, so maybe it's just too old.

So I bought a new & much faster Samsung SSD, enabled TRIM, but same issue. I'm recording about 26 tracks, and the disk meter is usually around 10-20% but maybe every 5 or 10 minutes spikes up to near 100% and maybe 20% of the time that happens, it'll give up the ghost and stop recording. CPU usage never goes above 10%. So it doesn't seem to be a CPU issue, it's strictly a matter of getting stuff written to disk reliably.

I have some USB drives sitting around, so first I tried a USB powered hard drive, and that was worse. The next week I tried a 7200 rpm externally powered USB drive, and that was better but still couldn't keep up. Same basic issue.

At this point my theory was: OK, SSD write latency is probably too variable. And maybe it's not good to be writing so much data to disk via USB while also having all that audio data coming in over USB. It's a 6 piece band with two drummers, so I really do need ("need") to write about 26 tracks.

Next I decided to spring for a 7200 rpm internal drive and an OWC data doubler, replacing the optical drive. That gets the destination HDD off the USB bus, and surely that would solve the issue. The disk overhead % as displayed in Logic did drop - the lowest of all configurations, but still it spikes up every 5 or 10 minutes, and while it stops recording less frequently, it's still happening.

Considering that it's able to write merrily to disk for 20-30-40 minutes at a stretch, there's gotta be something going on in the system that decides to run periodically, and that's what's hosing things up.

Googled the issue, and tried two additional steps: 1) I completely reformatted the SSD boot drive and did a clean install of El Capitan from a thumb drive install image, and 2) I disabled journaling for the 7200 rpm HDD in case it's indexing that's causing me to blow up.

TRIM is enabled for the SSD boot drive. Wifi is turned off while recording. It still isn't working reliably enough to get through a gig without crapping out.

I'm open to suggestions for other stuff to try. At this point I'm considering doing a clean install of Yosemite to see if the hardware is any happier running the older OS.

Dave, OSX Yosemite didn't work very well when it was new on our computers. As a matter of fact, I HATED it. It was very slow, buggy, etc. The next OS fixed that. Try the same update suggestion that I gave Dan. I think your computer should be compatible.

Also, make sure that Chrome/Firefox are completely quit, even though they aren't being used.

And as a final thought, try Malwarebytes Mac. Free for 30 days, then per-year. Very reasonably priced. Works great. Only download it from the official website though. https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

-Max

When I experience a glitch, I fire up Console (in Applications/Utilities) and look at the system logs. 99.9% of what's in there is greek to me but you can sometimes garner clues by looking for unusual entries with a timestamp that matches when the glitch occurred. You might see a mention of an app you're running. I usually google the error message itself and that leads to either a dead end or an actual revelation that helps solve the problem admittedly more the former than the latter. Still, it only costs a few minutes of time.

In my investigations there were "spindump" files being written periodically that sometimes coincided with audio glitches. I did a little research just now and found this, which you may want to try: https://www.macobserver.com/tips/how-to/disable-tailspind-spindump-macos-cpu-speed/ (This article deals with High Sierra but the commands may work & be effective in earlier OSes. Be sure to make a note of the Terminal commands to reverse this they are mentioned in the comments!).

Thanks for the tips, Reezekeys.

Yeah, part of the problem is that I'm not at the Mac when it chokes, and the sound guy is busy being the sound guy. I've considered going into the club some other night and just hanging out recording whatever so I can camp out and wait for the machine to glitch. I have a uTrack24 here at home, and have tried to reproduce the problem here, but the MBP has never glitched when recording off the uTrack24. It's 8 fewer audio channels coming over USB compared to the x32, so that's likely part of the equation, anyway.

The spindump thing is new to me and that's worth checking out too.

Mighty Motif Max: this is a clean install of the OS with literally nothing added except security patches and Logic installed. So FF and Chrome aren't even installed.

I thought I put the link in my first post. (Edit: I did.)

Here it is again - Apple has a whole page on it. Same exact thing as I used. Worked fine.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

Let me know if this doesn't work.

Sorry, I somehow missed that first time around. Downloading now and will report back my results. Thanks!

FWIW with regards to some of the other discussion, my main use for this has been recording from my Presonus digital mixer via FireWire. It has worked flawlessly for that purpose, but has been only 16 tracks with the audio coming in Firewire and recording to the internal drive. This has been usually recording 1 hour sets. Never a hiccup.

Dan

Go back to Snow Leopard (10.6.8) if possible. That was a most excellent OS. I have a 2011 that still runs Mainstage 2 like a champ. It began to run hot and wouldn't take Mainstage 3 so I got a new one, but it still works great.

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

Go back to Snow Leopard (10.6.8) if possible. That was a most excellent OS. I have a 2011 that still runs Mainstage 2 like a champ. It began to run hot and wouldn't take Mainstage 3 so I got a new one, but it still works great.

So while my phone won't sync with 10.9.5 because it's too old, somehow it WILL sync if I went back to 10.6.8? Or did you just not read the entire thread first? (also I'm not using mainstage and have no issues with it running hot)

Dan

Mid 2009 OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

15 inch

2.53GHz

memory 8GB

Startup Disk Mac HD

500 GB solid state

iTunes 12.7

iPhone 6 plus 10.3.3 (14G60)

I have avoided updating iOS devices

and OS

But I sync between phone and MBP

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

15 inch

2.53GHz

memory 8GB

Startup Disk Mac HD

500 GB solid state

iTunes 12.7

and OS

Thank you sir. I just got a new iPhone 7 and it has the latest iOS which is where my problems began. Still updating to El Capitan (which is taking forever) then I'll try updating iTunes and see what happens!

Dan

15 inch

2.53GHz

memory 8GB

Startup Disk Mac HD

500 GB solid state

iTunes 12.7

and OS

Thank you sir. I just got a new iPhone 7 and it has the latest iOS which is where my problems began. Still updating to El Capitan (which is taking forever) then I'll try updating iTunes and see what happens!

Actually my iOS guy who just happens ( well as of last year any way ) to have the same model MBP we share.... he said I CAN update to Sierra.. But that was over a year ago.. since then High Sierra.

Being cautious ( getting burned does that, right !),

I am sticking with El Capitan. But there are frequent notifications to update the MBP.

You have to be mindful not to accidentally hit wrong button and end up updated!

I do not know how long I can play this game, but this MBP with solid state really seems pretty cool.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Archived