Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Older MBP's

J. Dan

Getting just a little OT maybe, but it's actually what started this whole thing. Does anybody have a strategy and/or tips when it comes to managing iCloud storage vs direct sync?

It's pretty easy to, outside of iTunes, get all my photos and videos off my phone. Most of my music library is on my laptop and I use iTunes to change what limited amount of music I put on my phone for travelling. I have more on my iPad including a few movies.

I ran out of iCloud storage about a year and a half ago and never wanted to pay for more. Since I manually backed most stuff up I didn't care. When my phone died and I got a new one, the one thing I missed was that I didn't have the last 1-1/2 year of text messages but ones older than that were still there. Not a huge deal, but it would make a ton more sense for the older ones to drop off and keep the most recent.

Anyway, I'm not entirely clear what dictates how iCloud storage is managed whether I rip a CD vs buy music, buy movies - I mean does that whole movie take up iCloud space or does it just know that you purchased it so you can download it again? Not sure what's taking up all my storage exactly and how to make sure that the things I want there for convenience are there but not the things that are just fine being backed up on my laptop.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, El Capitan is installed, and when I plug in my phone it still says iTunes version 12.7 or later is required and when I click "download iTunes" it searches for updates and says no updates available. My current iTunes version is 12.6.2.20

EDIT: Ok, I think I'm starting to understand how this works (sorry, I'm not natively an apple person). Googled for a download link of 12.7, doing that now.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Success! (I think) iTunes is updated and my phone shows up now. Just hope everything that worked before still works. May have to work up a test recording session with my Presonus.

Dan

Archived