Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Oasys - $900

DanL

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
buy or skip?

Depends on availability of service and replacement parts.

There´s at least a Intel Pentium 4 northwood 2.8GHz single core processor and some dedicated type of RAM on a socket 478 motherboard inside and I guess in case it fails, you´d need exactly that unit to meet KORG´s specs.

I myself, I´d pass ...

A.C.

buy or skip?

Advantage of it (to you) over one of the Kronos models?

I hear the 88 had a nice keybed...

dB

Probably this price and the fact that it is (IMHO) one of the nicest looking workstations every built!

Rudy

Brotha Dan, I can imagine the temptation especially at the price point but it's old tech now. Skip it mayne. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I don't know about how stable it is though. I sold my triton pro a few years ago to a guy who gigged with the Oasys, but needed the Triton pro as a back-up, as somehow he had lots of problems with it. Just one example of course, I know......

Rudy

buy or skip?

Advantage of it (to you) over one of the Kronos models?

I hear the 88 had a nice keybed...

dB

Probably this price and the fact that it is (IMHO) one of the nicest looking workstations every built!

Yeah, the price would be the only factor. Kronos is on my short list for my next big purchase but I'm a ways out.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Ah the good 'ole days on "the other" forum with like 17,000 Korg/Oasys haters to one fan-boy. Every day they'd go at it non-stop about over-priced vs technical superiority; back and forth, back and forth, :blah::blah::blah: .

Buy it Dan - we'll be nice. Really!

:evil::evil::evil:

:snax:

There was a little hating right here in River City too:

Enough with the Korg bashing!

But then, there was some reasoned discussion as well:

KURZWEIL 2600 or KORG OASYS ???

Ah, the good old days. At least price is no longer a factor for the OASYS.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Notable users (from Wikipedia):

Jordan Rudess

Rick Wakeman

Keith Emerson

Tony Banks

Greg Phillinganes

Herbie Hancock

Chuck Leavell

Vangelis

If it's the 88 key - yeah why not. 76 key - maybe not. $900 is way below market for the 88, so I'm assuming it's the 76 key version.

Ah the good 'ole days on "the other" forum with like 17,000 Korg/Oasys haters to one fan-boy. Every day they'd go at it non-stop about over-priced vs technical superiority; back and forth, back and forth, :blah::blah::blah: .

The only problem with the Oasys is the poor souls selling them on Ebay who think they worth the same price as a Kronos.

Can you reasonably spare the $900 or is it Explosive Gear Lust? Will you get $900 worth of use from it? Would that money be better applied to a Kronos fund? If it suddenly needs repair, what are your chances of getting it for no more than $900? How expandable is the sound set in 2018? Does that matter to you in this case? Oi, why don't I pessoff and mind me own bisness?? I've remained a steady Korg player for years, so I lusted after the Oasys like many others. I simply advise a careful cost/benefit analysis. I'm sure you know what you're doing, but I'd only go for it if I was going to make it my centerpiece. Your goals may vary.

:wacko::D

Lab Mode splits between contemplative work and furious experiments.
Both of which require you to stay the hell away from everyone else.
This is a feature, not a bug.
Kraftwerk’s studio lab, Kling Klang,
 didn’t even have a working phone in it.
       ~ Warren Ellis

The OASYS looks like it belongs on the bridge of a Klingon battle cruiser. It's effing killer. Synclavier and Fairlights are old technology also but they are cool. New keyboards suck. Buy it.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I lusted after the Oasys like many others. I simply advise a careful cost/benefit analysis. I'm sure you know what you're doing, but I'd only go for it if I was going to make it my centerpiece.

+1

I was in a similar situation a few years ago when a 76-key Oasys became available for a decent price. At the end of the day though, I just walked away.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

It is the 88 and it comes with everything including the 3" thick user manual and a bunch of disks.

It's sort of explosive gear lust. I'd probably not use it live, at 70lbs of weight. The money would definitely be better used in the Kronos fund, but I figured for 900 and in pretty much brand new condition, it might be a cool/fun piece to have.

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

It would be a unique piece at the next gathering!

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

For $900, if it is in great condition, Id say buy it ! I dont think I would gig with it, just like I dont gig with my Korg M3, but I know I would never sell my M3-73.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

You want it because it's there and it's cheap - not because you want it.

If it wasn't there you wouldn't be thinking about getting one: you'd be focused on your Kronos fund, and if we're being honest, the Kronos will be easier to get support for and will probably last longer. It's not like you're saving any more money - you're spending $900 you wouldn't be spending otherwise. $900 may not be that much, but it's $900.

I'd say skip. Keep your Kronos in sight.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

At least price is no longer a factor for the OASYS. Geoff

True. But you'd have to be an idiot spending $900 on an Oasys.

I was in a similar situation a few years ago when a 76-key Oasys became available for a decent price. At the end of the day though, I just walked away.

Smart move - you'd have to be a complete moron spending $900 on a 76 key Oasys.

Smartest purchase you'll ever make - don't blow it Dan! :keynana::keynana::keynana:

:laugh:

It is the 88 and it comes with everything including the 3" thick user manual and a bunch of disks.

It's sort of explosive gear lust. I'd probably not use it live, at 70lbs of weight. I figured for 900 and in pretty much brand new condition, it might be a cool/fun piece to have.

At 70 lbs, it reads like the next MAKCFH would have to be held in Delaware. I'll bring the P6. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

At 70 lbs, it reads like the next MAKCFH would have to be held in Delaware. I'll bring the P6. :laugh::cool:

Delaware? That's practically in my back yard... as long as it's New Castle County. :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I'm about 1/4 mile from NCC in Kent- close enough. It's less than an hour for me to get to downtown Philly.

I think you guys have talked me out of it. As tempting as it is, the $$ is much better suited towards the Kronos fund.

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I suggest that you apply that $900 to a collection of bowling balls and join the cool kids. :)

Only if it's wii bowling! :)

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Archived