Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Casio CT-X700 portable ($175) keyboard

Jazz+

Amazing value. Brand new premium AiX sound engine , built in speakers, runs 6 hours on 6 AA batteries, built in iPhone shelf, usb midi, audio in, 61 keys, 10 lbs., headphones output. I want a CSX 700 to use with my always present iPhone 6 with Scarbee Rhodes ($9.99) & Ivory Piano ($14.99) installed (on Korg Module ($19.99) for iPhone)

[video:youtube]

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great value for any level player that wants extreme portability. I love playing all the time, and this ctx 700 with batteries and internal speakers finally untethers me from power plugs and carry weight. Did I mention it will be my portable controller/speakers for Scarbee and Ivory iPhone 6 :)

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Gotcha,

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, this instrument is far from a toy. The sounds are quite solid in every category. The CT-X3000 (coming in May) isn't much more money either and offers tone and effects editing and an expression pedal input. Video coming on that one soon.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Wouldn't you be better off with a Roland Go Piano? Also runs on batteries, has internal speakers, audio in, and is even more compact. It doesn't have this iPhone shelf, but that is apparently only some rubberized area. And I guess the piano sounds would be better for those occasions where you wouldn' want to bother with connecting an iPhone.
2019 W.Hoffmann T122 upright, Roland FP-50, Roland RD64, Korg Microkorg

Ii actually prefer Casios Piano and Rhodes dynamic response over Rolands ... I played the Roland FP4 professionally for many years, also the FP 60. I much prefer my Casio PX 360 dynamics and touch action response.. the Roland Go Piano is twice the price!

I wouldn't assume that the Go:Piano has the same piano sounds as the FP4, nor that the CTX700 has the same piano sounds as the PX360, so I think the boards need to be taken on their own terms.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I heard this keyboard demonstrated at Namm and it sounded great. :)

I also have both a Casio and a Roland. I very much like the piano sounds on both, but for some reason (which I don't understand) the Casio just seems to work better in a band. It cuts through the mix and sounds better (In my opinion).

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

I still love my CTK 691 and WK 3000. I have learned how to get some pretty decent clonewheel organ out of these and have used the flute and vibes sounds on demo recordings many times.

If I am correct this WK engine is over 10 years old now.... it's about time we got something new in this price range.

I am eagerly awaiting this....will GC be getting these soon?

I wouldn't assume that the Go:Piano has the same piano sounds as the FP4, nor that the CTX700 has the same piano sounds as the PX360, so I think the boards need to be taken on their own terms.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how great the pianos are in the CT-X. Certainly doesn't have damper or string resonance simulation but the expressiveness of these sounds is outstanding.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Sounds like a good choice for guy needing a second small board for outdoor wedding ceremonies and/or cocktail hours on the patio. While I enjoyed the extra cake from playing a ceremony & cocktail hour, moving my entire regular setup two extra times was never fun. I almost bought one of those little Yamaha NP-something boards then I got lucky and stopped doing weddings! One's luck can always change however...

I have the Roland goKeys, which I ostensibly bought for our little kiddos to play. And they do. But I can vouch that it's also a great carry-around board for a serious musician. For instance, good for carrying around the house or to the park on duty with our ever-wandering 2 yo.

The Roland is a little more compact and maybe a pound lighter than this Casio, which counts for something in the portability category. Listening to the Casio video, I can't say one clearly sounds better than the other. The Casio seems to have a more intuitive and accessible interface. As usual for any Roland/Casio comparo, I'd say the Casio is the better bang for buck.

Also, the GoKeys keys are a bit of a surprise. Shallow travel but quite a good feel to them given the price point, and also nicely textured which gives it a bit more classy feel. I haven't played the Casio but I'd be surprised if I didn't prefer the GoKeys action over competing boards.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Out of 600 sounds I am hoping for some good EP's, possibly good organ. The organ thing should be possible since Casio was close 12 years ago! It depends on who is programming it.

The WK/ CTK stuff I have has basically good drawbar tones, but the percussion was way too loud, and there was no way to turn it down.

At this price I do not expect string resonance on the acoustic sample.

Casio has always been good about giving bang for the buck. I tried the Roland Go piano, it was not for me. I am very curious about this.

GC says it won't ship till the end of the month. No telling when stores will have them.

I ordered mine today from American MS and expect it on Saturday. Free shipping and no tax out of state. Looking forward

Gotcha,

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, this instrument is far from a toy. The sounds are quite solid in every category. The CT-X3000 (coming in May) isn't much more money either and offers tone and effects editing and an expression pedal input. Video coming on that one soon.

Expression pedal support, finally. If you can map all the controls this will be the new best in class controller by a mile.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Casio has posted the manuals for the CT-X700 and CT-X800. The two models appear to be similar (same tones, rhythms, etc.) but the CT-X800 includes a pitch bend wheel. I think the other two models will have even more tones.

The MIDI implementation chart is impressive with regard to all of the CC messages that the keyboard responds to. The CT-X700 could be paired with a much fancier (as far as knobs, sliders, and pads) MIDI keyboard controller to function as a USB-MIDI sound module, and you'd be able to tweak away at the sounds, or even use three types of pedals (damper, sostenuto, and soft). Of course, you'll need a USB host to interface them together-- not a problem if you've got everything connected to a computer. :)

Michael Rideout

The CTX-3000 and 5000 up the number of sounds to 800 and up the Rhythms to 235. Plenty of other step-up features. The 800 also adds USB storage. I helped demo them at NAMM - surprisingly good sounds for their price point - worth many times their cost.

OMG, they delivered it within 24 hours, no extra charges.

I finally got to hear some of the clips.

The acoustic piano comes off well in Mike Martin's clip. The Ep's all have effects on them..... so there is no way for me to tell much about them. There is no organ example from Mike. From the past I have been given the sense this isn't his area of expertise.

One of the live NAMM Demos has organ but it's more of a ...hey let's hear this leslie go SPIN! Whoo hoo ...

I am sure I am going to find some stuff I like and I want to give it every chance. But at the same time sometimes I wonder who this stuff is aimed at.

My personal opionion is that a novice can hear a great sounding sample the same as a pro musician. In the past I have heard boards with 600 sounds and I might be able to use 3 of them.

The Casio WK 3000 gave me much more than that. Later Casios seemed to back off on editing capability, which was the charm of the earlier WK.

Once again, hoping for good things. I often wonder who creates these sounds and if they know what they are doing. They got so close with the WK organ... but not quite there with the percussion.

So ... next question. What is the price of the 5000 vs. the 700 and will it be available soon?

I keep waiting for Casio to hit it out of the park with something like this because they showed me so much potential with the original WK.

At NAMM we were quoting around $450 for the CT-X5000, delivery of all the other models was quoted as May/June. As for the organ, I think you'll want the 3000 or 5000 so you can edit the effects. I needed to adjust things on the Rotary to get a sound I was happy with. It's not going to compete with the clone boards, but it was decent.

Likewise for the EP's you'll want to be able to edit the effects.

I was very pleased with how they created their solo winds/reeds/brass etc. A tasteful amount of delayed vibrato, and it didn't change speed so much from key to key. I created an edited Flute sound where I add a tremolo effect that I could bring in with the switch on the 5000, or could have added with a pedal, so I got a really nice vibrato plus amplitude modulation.

All boards do basic split, or layer, and again, the 5000 ups the ante with the ability to layer on each side of a split.

Regards,

Jerry

I played one at my local Sam Ash today. They had one floor model and one in a box. They just came in today or yesterday. Went there to buy it but I didn't hear a huge difference between it and all the other Casios and Yamahas that have been there for years. Acoustic pianos were ok, organs were blah, and electric pianos sounded pretty good to me.

Too bad about no effects editing on the 700. If I am going to pay 500 for a board I would probably be looking at a used Yamaha or Roland. Or something like a Yamaha P45 which can be had for about 350 on sale.

The WK had some serious woodwind sounds back in the day. The saxophones were ( or are) quite good as is " velocity flute".

Back to WK drawbar organ.... casio had virtual drawbars on the CTK 691, which was a 5 octave version of the WK series. So I guess we are left with " somebody's" idea or an organ sound., Damn. They were so close.

Too bad about no effects editing on the 700.

CT-X3000 which will be $299 has full tone and effects editing.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Too bad about no effects editing on the 700. If I am going to pay 500 for a board I would probably be looking at a used Yamaha or Roland. Or something like a Yamaha P45 which can be had for about 350 on sale.

Something like a P45 is for an entirely different customer, it doesn't compete with his board (it would compete with a Casio PX160 or CDP135, other 88-key weighted action piano-oriented boards with very few other sounds and features). This series is more something to look at against maybe some of the Yamaha PSR/YPG/DGX models.

Back to WK drawbar organ.... casio had virtual drawbars on the CTK 691, which was a 5 octave version of the WK series. So I guess we are left with " somebody's" idea or an organ sound., Damn. They were so close.

Casio has numerous models with some kind of drawbar organ function... XW-P1, CTK-7200/WK-7600, MZ-X300/500.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I saw a picture of the CT-X5000. I'm interested in that. How are the synth/brass/string tones and different accompaniment patterns? Have they improved the brass presets? And the strings too? And especially the synths and basses. I wonder how the rhythms sound? I'm especially interested in if they have added additional Indonesian and other Asian rhythms because I play a lot of Asian music.

I could see this replacing both my PSR-19 and PSR-e443 if you can edit the resonance on synth tones.

I see it's about $450. Is it worth it?

I definitely hope they improved the brass preset, especially in the higher octaves.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

Archived