Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Winter NAMM 2018 Planning

Geoff Grace

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why don't weand other forum members who are at the showmeet at Dave's booths at 5:00 pm on Friday to visit and finalize the evening's plans?

That's fine by me - my last meeting Friday is at 4:30, and I can block 5 to 6 out as being scheduled.

As mentioned above, I have some pretty nice speakers in my Amphion booth. If you wanna bring a thumb drive with favorite tracks, I'll be happy to spin them for you.

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow at 5:00 pm! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I have meetings scattered throughout the day, including up to 6pm and later! As of right now, its 50/50 if I could even make the hang this year, so if you don't hear from me, don't wait up.

So just in case I don't make it... I hope the hang goes well.... and on the bright side, it'll only be 364 days until the next hang! Take pics!!!

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

Bryce, you doing your thing at any particular booth(s) this year? Would love to connect with Geoff as well.

Yep. Amphion (15322) is back to back with Cloud and elysia (15422) in the new ACC North hall. I'l be there most of the show.

Busch, I'd like to connect with you as well. Why don't weand other forum members who are at the showmeet at Dave's booths at 5:00 pm on Friday to visit and finalize the evening's plans?

Best,

Geoff

Geoff, unfortunately I'm leaving earlier in the day so won't be able to make the hang. I'll be there in the AM.

I'm staying at the Disney Hotel so I get over to Downtown Disney often. I checked on Zephonic's suggestion of ESPNZone and I think it could be a good option for the group.

They have three private rooms available. One seats up to seven (green room), another seats up to 12 (sky box) and the last one is more like 25+ people (didn't get the name of this one, sorry). These appear to be available tomorrow evening. If this is of interest, I can get someone the details. I think they assume most people are going to eat, not just drink. Anyhow, let me know.

Busch.

Damn! I am gigging kinda close but kinda obnoxiously far away at the same time on Friday. This may belong in shameless plugs but I bring it up here as it's timely and topical. Doing a kinda rad fusion hit at this brewery in northern Anaheim. I'll post the details here just in case it ends up shaping up that the KC hang ends up going mobile. I guess the beer at this joint is great but as far as food goes there will only be a food truck. Could pick up food on the way though. Also I just heard the RSVPs are kinda over capacity already. But shoot maybe if anyone wants to come we can hang outside before or after and maybe squeeze whoever comes in.

here are the details

I'm actually playing with the first band (Korey Kingston around 7 PM. This will be a kind of ska jazz hit), and then with the third band (The incredible drummer Tim 'Figg' Newton around 9:30 maybe?).

Anyway that's only if a smaller KC crew ends up getting a wanderlust to get a few miles away from the NAMM radius for part of an evening. If you guys end up hanging closer to NAMM AND if the hang is still raging past say 11 PM, hit me up on PM and I'll see if I can swing by after my hit.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Any of you guys at NAMM who are vintage Hammond/Leslie nuts - make sure you stop by the BookerLab booth and say "Hi" to Tom (big guy, shoulder-length white/blonde hair). He seems to be serious about bringing new products to market for us, and has the budget and manufacturing know-how to make it happen. I have been consulting on / testing the product he is showing this week.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Geoff, unfortunately I'm leaving earlier in the day so won't be able to make the hang. I'll be there in the AM.

I'm staying at the Disney Hotel so I get over to Downtown Disney often. I checked on Zephonic's suggestion of ESPNZone and I think it could be a good option for the group.

They have three private rooms available. One seats up to seven (green room), another seats up to 12 (sky box) and the last one is more like 25+ people (didn't get the name of this one, sorry). These appear to be available tomorrow evening. If this is of interest, I can get someone the details. I think they assume most people are going to eat, not just drink. Anyhow, let me know.

I'm sorry that you weren't able to join us, Busch. Thanks for the details about the ESPNZone. We wound up walking down to Clancy's, which worked well for our group of eight.

It was great to see Dave, Markyboard, Ken, Gustavo, and elsongs and to meet xKnuckles and MurMan. As always, it was a lot of fun! :thu::cheers:

Best,

Geoff

It was great to see Dave, Markyboard, Ken, Gustavo, and elsongs and to meet xKnuckles and MurMan. As always, it was a lot of fun! :thu::cheers:

Best,

Geoff

+1, And right back at you Geoff - great getting to hang with you again after so many years. In addition to the fine forum members you mentioned I also had some good hang time on (and off) the floor with Eric, TonySounds, RedKey (Dan), Dave Ferris, Jim Alfredson, Marzzz (Marshall), Paolo and a few others.

Special shout out to Fran(Hipogrito?) from Kurzweil who I very much enjoyed chatting with and come to find out lives in the next town over from my parents on LI. I see many beers in our future :cheers: .

Any of you guys at NAMM who are vintage Hammond/Leslie nuts - make sure you stop by the BookerLab booth and say "Hi" to Tom (big guy, shoulder-length white/blonde hair). He seems to be serious about bringing new products to market for us, and has the budget and manufacturing know-how to make it happen. I have been consulting on / testing the product he is showing this week.

Saw this too late Wes - bummer! I would appreciate any details you or others can provide.

Very happy to have been able to catch up with Markyboard, as well as several people at dBs booth(s)! And Dave, dont worrynever a problem to help you out if I can! My NAMM time is usually somewhat limited, because I have obligations to the very significant other...

Best,

Geoff

+1, And right back at you Geoff - great getting to hang with you again after so many years. In addition to the fine forum members you mentioned I also had some good hang time on (and off) the floor with Eric, TonySounds, RedKey (Dan), Dave Ferris, Jim Alfredson, Marzzz (Marshall), Paolo and a few others.

Special shout out to Fran(Hipogrito?) from Kurzweil who I very much enjoyed chatting with and come to find out lives in the next town over from my parents on LI. I see many beers in our future :cheers: .

Sorry to have missed this! Tony, RedKey, and I went with some of Tony's friends for dinner at the newly opened Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles, which ended up being a few hours of surreal waiting and eventually eating. We never connected with you guys, but it was great seeing many of you on the NAMM floor and hope to see you again next year!

I have some photos I'll try to get posted showing various parts of the show along with some forum friends.

NAMMbulating 2018

http://elevenshadows.com/sss/namm2018/

This is not meant to be comprehensive. It's not even close. It's just what I saw while NAMMbulatilng, and nothing more, with my iPhone in tow. Photos of friends and a few bits of gear.

A pleasure to meet up with Murray, XKnuckles, Markyboard, Gus, Elsongs, that guy with the Dia de los Muertos stormtrooper shirt, Geoff, and Dave (note: I put this in order after realizing it was out of order here. The caption on the website was in order already).

http://elevenshadows.com/sss/namm2018/images-nammbulating-2018/images-NAMMBulating-2018-small/KCatNAMM-6_NAMMbulating-2018_restaurant-dinner-group.jpg

Photo courtesy of MurMan and the waiter he enlisted.

Sorry to have missed the hang... this particular NAMM show was more business this year for me than pleasure... which is good! Glad some of you got to connect though. Definitely planning on doing the hang next year though. Actually, its less than a year at this point!

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

It was very nice meeting you as well! And I also envision many Guinness on the way ;-)

Regards,

Fran

Is it too early to plan for 2019? LOL. I've never been to Winter NAMM, only Summer NAMM, but my original band is talking about attending next year's Winter NAMM and somebody jokingly (?) said we better book rooms now. Realistically, how early do travel arrangements need to be made?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Is it too early to plan for 2019? LOL. I've never been to Winter NAMM, only Summer NAMM, but my original band is talking about attending next year's Winter NAMM and somebody jokingly (?) said we better book rooms now. Realistically, how early do travel arrangements need to be made?

I've been able to get bookings almost any time for motels in the general vicinity, although I would advise getting it far in advance. I've already booked mine for next year, for instance. And if you want one really close to the Convention Center, I would get on that ASAP.

Thanks to everyone I met for making me feel so welcome at my first Namm. I was

In the presence of KC veterans - and what a great and fun group

of guys they turned out to be. :) Special thanks to Markeyboard for, without once complaining - even when the task seemed impossible - both providing a lift and tracking down a single, well disguised car from the vast, featureless, circular labyrinth which is the Angel Stadium at night.

A great and unforgettable evening. :)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

It was very nice meeting you as well! And I also envision many Guinness on the way ;-)

Since Fran lives in East Northport, what town does that put your parents, Mark? My mom lives in Centerport, still in the house that I grew up in. Don't tell me they're in Greenlawn...

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Very close Joe - Commack.
I used to be out that way all the time. I even worked at the Shell station on the corner of Jericho Tpke and Elwood Road.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

of guys they turned out to be. :) Special thanks to Markeyboard for, without once complaining - even when the task seemed impossible - both providing a lift and tracking down a single, well disguised car from the vast, featureless, circular labyrinth which is the Angel Stadium at night.

That Marky sure is a great guy.

Yes, a great guy and a great tour guide for the parking lot.

Best,

Geoff

Yes, a great guy and a great tour guide for the parking lot.

Best,

Geoff

The last time I was in that parking lot was when the Cowboys played the Rams there. I actually got busted by an undercover security guard for trying to sell an extra ticket below face value. With 30 or so years later, a rental car and an airtight alibi I was hoping maybe I'd run into him - literally. In hindsight maybe not such a good plan as I envision the detective questioning us individually...

"So let me get this straight...you also had the chicken pot pie?"

:Python:

Archived