Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Bruno Mars Primetime Special

ProfD

This dude has repackaged 1980s music and fashion and he's riding it all the way to the bank.

I'm sitting here watching in disbelief because I vivdly remember the origins of the sound of music he's selling to a younger generation.

Gear spotting I see several Roland KBs. Makes sense as that sound dominated 80s R&B too.

I'm not inspired to revisit the 1980s nor will I be selling off my gear but d8mn....I feel older. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also heard a lot '90s to today gospel transition chords, which I really love and will study in 2018.

One number was dominated by orchestra hit samples. Others had dx7 Rhodes or mks20 Rhodes.

It is partially throwback, but it is refreshing Hit PopRnB crossover at a time when the Pop world is dominated by non-describable synth pads and overused percussion organ samples all overwhelmed by female vocals (all of which is written and produced by two guys worldwide).

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

And they look like they're all having a great time, as is the crowd! :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I don't see a problem with heavy borrowing from 80's. As a matter of fact, I like it a lot!

Post a song from 80.'s that most heavily resembles Bruno music

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

What I want to know is, who is Julio? He's in a few of Mars's songs.

Oh Man, you doe know Julio? [video:youtube]

Check it

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I'm the last guy you'd probably want to hear from commenting about anything current or relating to pop culture. But what he does, along with his back up band - it all connects with me then anyone I've seen/heard in I couldn't tell you how many years.

I think he's fantastic !

I'm the last guy you'd probably want to hear from commenting about anything current or relating to pop culture. But what he does, along with his back up band - it all connects with me then anyone I've seen/heard in I couldn't tell you how many years.

I think he's fantastic !

:o Wow Dave, that's cool. I'm glad you're digging it.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Phenomenal concert! He has definitely raised the bar.

Yes, you can hear the Gap Band, Shalamar, and Jermaine Jackson, among others, but he has taken things to a new level. What a talent and what a tight unit.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

A few years ago, he did a corporate gig in Vegas where I was a participant.

Holy Mother of God, it was an Experience. This was before he broke big, but I came away as full disciple.

The man has huge talent, and he knows how to bing big game with a stage band. I am a total fan of what he does.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

I knew he had it when he did the Pandora sketch on SNL a few years ago. Then the 60 Minutes interview before 24K Magic came out. I'd link to them but they may only be on certain sites that won't embed.

We've had threads about Bruno here before.

The newest album is particularly 80s heavy. But he's got some good breadth and depth. And he's a killer drummer.

I particularly liked his take on Sam Cooke flavored R&B - still makes it sound current yet has his own signature style:

[video:youtube]

His 2014 Super Bowl performance is among my all-time favorites - paid tribute to a ton of stuff, from James Brown to the Police, with equal parts good taste and badassery.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2i0Bc3f7jk

Warms my heart to see a young cat paying tribute (and exposing his fans) to what came before, showing the value of a live stage show, and forging ahead with his own sound.

Why you mad.. fix your face... That won me over to Mr Bruno.

So IS HE just a mere copy of 80's?? I doubt it. He is doing exactly what an artist ought to do... bringing the past into his thing, but with new added mojo. Right On Bruno.

One thing I wonder about him is, are lots of these lyrics tongue-in-cheek? Some of them are quite over the top. I'm not saying anything bad about them, but I would think if they're not tongue-in-cheek, some might be offended (and even if they are).

"Second verse for the hustlas (hustlas)

Gangstas (gangstas)

Bad bitches and ya ugly ass friends (Haha)

Can I preach? (Uh oh) Can I preach? (Uh oh)

I gotta show 'em how a pimp get it in

First, take your sip (sip), do your dip (dip)

Spend your money like money ain't shit (Whoop, whoop)

We too fresh

Got to blame it on Jesus

Hashtag blessed

They ain't ready for me"

I'm glad you brought this up. I love his songs. Treasure in particular is a sort of guilty/shameful pleasure. But the lyrics with their faux-hipness, always make him seem dorkier to me than the music is hoping to be. And the Julio thing....I think he's going for a James Brown thing, but it comes across like two chess-club kids hi-fiving.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

One thing I wonder about him is, are lots of these lyrics tongue-in-cheek? Some of them are quite over the top. I'm not saying anything bad about them, but I would think if they're not tongue-in-cheek, some might be offended (and even if they are).

"Second verse for the hustlas (hustlas)

Gangstas (gangstas)

Bad bitches and ya ugly ass friends (Haha)

Can I preach? (Uh oh) Can I preach? (Uh oh)

I gotta show 'em how a pimp get it in

First, take your sip (sip), do your dip (dip)

Spend your money like money ain't shit (Whoop, whoop)

We too fresh

Got to blame it on Jesus

Hashtag blessed

They ain't ready for me"

Thank G-d for this guys devil may care attitude.

I am sorry Joe, we part company on PC. The western world is being strangled by it.

I am not pro gangsta, or whooa or mpst of the details in his words

But I am strongly for the spirit of his lyrics. Very strongly.

Life is contradictory by its nature.

I am sorry Joe, we part company on PC. The western world is being strangled by it.
Did I say I thought he should be more "PC"? I don't think so.

I'm glad you brought this up. I love his songs. Treasure in particular is a sort of guilty/shameful pleasure. But the lyrics with their faux-hipness, always make him seem dorkier to me than the music is hoping to be. And the Julio thing....I think he's going for a James Brown thing, but it comes across like two chess-club kids hi-fiving.
I'm not sure if you're saying the same thing I am, but maybe you are. There are a lot of "references" in his lyrics and I can't tell where he's coming from. That being said, I don't worry about it and just enjoy it. I only asked because I was curious if anyone had a clue or idea.

Joe " over the top" " some might be offended" I connected those two thoughts as on the side of being too too careful about what you say and how you say it.

As you can kinda tell, I deeply dislike societal restraints on how a person expresses himself. And I am not talking about violent expressions, which I am opposed to... just lyrics, and words.

I'm not sure if you're saying the same thing I am, but maybe you are. There are a lot of "references" in his lyrics and I can't tell where he's coming from. That being said, I don't worry about it and just enjoy it. I only asked because I was curious if anyone had a clue or idea.

Well, I thought we were, but I could have misunderstood. I was saying that I believe him to sincerely think those lyrics are hip, not to be wink-and-nod referring to others who use them sincerely. Which means that to me, they make him seem kinda dorky, lyrically speaking, for thinking those references are cool.

Is that what you were asking?

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

Joe . I hope you know that we are always cool.

This could be a new topic... pop lyrics and what they are about.

I never take them seriously. I do not learn or memorize them. With older tin pan alley music, those words are in my unconscious. If a singer sings incorrect words.. I believe I will notice, esp since words are vital to backing the singer!

I do not know why Bruno or Katy Perry or Donald Fag?n write the way they do... no clue how serious they are.

I know I was turned off by lyrics which preach to me!

But Bruno seems so over the top... I just get a kick out of him.

Be Joe, we are tight; right? Hey, that sounds like a song title.

IMO, Bruno Mars is musically and lyrically having a blast with his talent and not taking himself too seriously as an artist.

I don't know how long it will last but the dude is hitting it out of the park. I'm glad he's successful playing real music. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived