Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

christmas piano

iamanders

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I play a boogie-woogie version of Jingle Bells.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

The 1-5 style 2 beat musical feel works well for many Christmas tunes, but there are plenty of other textures you can use. 'Silent Night' isn't a good candidate for several reasons.

1) It's a mellow, meditative song.

2) It's in 3/4 so instantly disqualified from a 2 feel. Unless you are intentionally changing the vibe and feel. You can give it a country waltz feel if you so desire, it works pretty well that way.

Similar to your 1-5 two feel in the LH, you can also do a semi broken ragtime left hand which works well. Or go atempo with more advanced solo piano textures utilizing two hand voicings and counter melodies. For slower tunes, I often do it that way.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Lots of ways to make Christmas tunes interesting (for yourself if no one else!).

Silent Night as a slow blues or with Mannheim Steamroller-style chord substitutions.

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas swinging like Ella.

God Rest Ye, Merry Gentleman in 2/2 like a Klezmer song.

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town uptempo hair-on-fire bebop.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I just remembered one I heard last year at a Christmas party, Silent Night in a NOLA, Professor Longhair/Dr. John style.

Told the piano player I was stealing that for certain.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

The melody at a tempo that suits the lyrics, is the main thing. Question: I thought the Christian type Christmas music, was frowned upon in public settings. Is this a church environment?, otherwise my question is relevant.

Here is a pretty one.

[video:youtube]

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

The question arose mostly from looking at this famous Swedish melody:

http://runeberg.org/img/sondag/0057.5.png

Bars 2-3 have G-D-G, then bars 3-4 have either C-D-G or A-D-G. This is one way to look at it (just doing what I find sounding natural).

This really excludes the 1-5 (country or polka bass) in the bass. Here I am just playing the tonic of each chord.

How would you have played this at a country christmas concert?

When I heard Silent night performed by Waylon and Jessie I couldn't tell what was country about it. Christmas carols won't give us a specific country feeling in most cases, right? Although we're having country musicians performing it?

Upcoming gig with festive music and a few Hanukah songs thrown in.

Name some of the Jewish holiday

and festive music songs that are PC?

Happy Holidays

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

I have a whole collection of jazzified Christmas songs, some in an humorous way, some a bit more serious. "White Christmas" is an uptempo swing, "Jingle Bells" is a ballad with Coltrane changes reminescent of "Central Park West", "Adeste Fideles (O Come All Ye Faithful)" has a solemn baroque/jazz treatment, "Auld Lang Syne" is a 4/4 with progressively more dissonant chords. Brahms' Lullaby has a similar treatment. On a more "normal" level, "Silent Night" is a soft Bill Evans-style jazz waltz, and "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" is a medium swing... there are several others too.

I wrote those arrangements several years ago in the hope of making an album, but times have changed - so I sometimes play them for friends around Christmas time.

Archived