Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"I'm not playing this wonky piano!"

DulceLabs.com

Thought I saw this here, but I guess not. Anywho, Elton had a bad moment during a show this weekend:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqnIuhrjA6A

He had some choice words for the crew that came off a bit divaish, but I do like what he said to the audience:

"Sorry about this, but I can't play it when it's not sounding right,' 'I don't want you to have anything but 100 percent perfection here.'

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thought I saw this here, but I guess not. Anywho, Elton had a bad moment during a show this weekend:

[video:youtu

He had some choice words for the crew that came off a bit divaish, but I do like what he said to the audience:

"Sorry about this, but I can't play it when it's not sounding right,' 'I don't want you to have anything but 100 percent perfection here.'

he should have an arranger ;)

anyway, shit happens. And he takes responsibility for stuff to work.

creative people typically show their emotions. I like that.

And Elton is successful, creative, etc, etc.

He praised the crew for fixing the problem.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

What was the problem?

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

What was the problem?

I guess you didn't notice ?

A 500 pound bear walked on the stage and sat on the piano bench ;)

[70's Songwriter]

Since the tech was crawling underneath the piano, I'm gonna guess it was a problem with his MIDI setup. He's not on in-ears and he likes his monitor volume really loud. A mic'ed piano would feed back too much so he uses a MIDI9 key scanner to trigger piano sounds via MIDI. The triggered sample thing is something he started doing in the early 90s using a Gulbransen KS20 key scanner. (I wrote software for both companies).

It sounds like the damper pedal sensor got hosed up or out of alignment. On this system the sensor is typically mounted to the pedal lyre, not inside the piano, and the lyre and legs have to come off every time you move a grand piano. I am guessing the sensor got bumped out of position. During the dead time it sounds like everything he plays sustains, so that's another clue, and at one point he asks for "the normal piano sound." So I'll bet a beer on this one - MIDI sustain was stuck on because of sensor misalignment.

Using MIDI sustain..."MIDI sustain was stuck on because of sensor misalignment." "sensor misalignment", hardware? Nothing required by MIDI is hardware. The piano is hardware. you are just parsing words. If it weren't for using MIDI they would not need a sensor. wouldn't happen if they just mic'ed the piano.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Ha, well to be fair I think this was a hardware issue. :)

I thought it was a ' temperament ' issue. The piano was not in a good mood that night ;)

[70's Songwriter]

"Nothing required by MIDI is hardware. The piano is hardware. you are just parsing words. If it weren't for using MIDI they would not need a sensor. wouldn't happen if they just mic'ed the piano."

Right, but Elton John IS using MIDI; and as Dave (the person who wrote either the software required for this system or similar software) said, a sensor (which is hardware) is required by the system.

He wasnt so bad about it. I was expecting some sort of blowout. That was nothing. The sustain was stuck, obvious why he didnt want to play a whole set like that.

Nothing burger.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Anyway Elton has long since foregone any pretense of not saying exactly how he feels about anything or anyone at any given time, of being polite and people-pleasing, you gotta love him!

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

It was a f*%$ing rock show yes? I can't think of a better or more appropriate place for a tiny bit of colorful language, especially since he made the audience and getting back on track the priorities.

The profanities were well timed, implying humor. More of a "busting their balls" thing than a "absolutely losing his marbles" rant. The crowd was eating it up, just a useful tool to help get through an actual train-wreck. I would be hard pressed to do half as well in the midst of a similar sh*t-storm!

Side note: To quote Weird Al, I would rather clean all the bathrooms in Grand Central Station with my tongue than have anything work-related to do with a hybrid acoustic/MIDI rig.

Archived