Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CHANGE: OT is no longer OT

Sven Golly

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't remember which (getting REALLY old!) and it was was a night I'll never forget.

I like this,, can I use it in my sig ? This will cover many topics for me.

Thanks ! :)

Sure, seeng as I don't remember writing it.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

My wife and I saw them in 79 in NYC as well. Throughout their entire body of work my absolute favorite joke wasn't even a bit, more of a throw-away line introducing Cleese as a Brigadier General.........

[video:youtube]

Still slays me - even at the kneecaps.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

LEARNING THE PIANO?!?!?

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Internet forums are like cable TV channels:

When they start out, they have a specific focus.

But the longer they're around, the more they begin to resemble each other in their content!

Some illustrative topics, seemingly found on over 50% of forums, include such things as

- What are you reading right now?

- What are you watching right now?

- What are you listening to right now?

- What's the last movie you saw?

- What's your favorite recipe?

- Which forum is this again? I forget.

Michael Rideout

- What are you reading right now?

- What are you watching right now?

- What are you listening to right now?

- What's the last movie you saw?

- What's your favorite recipe?

- Which forum is this again? I forget.

I'll take any of those questions over "Which 'keyboard amp' should I get?"

My theory (which (for you MP fans) is mine) is that "OT'ing" can't be effectively regulated but is effectively self-regulating. A certain amount of it is bound to occur, and is healthy. When there gets to be too much, the more content-valuable members of the community will tend to drift away, which tends to invalidate the OT'ing, thus leading to self-correction.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I'll give an opposing view.

This is a community. No community is strictly content-based. If it were, none of us would even need screen names here, because the only relevant factor would be the words we type about keyboards.

Communities work because there is a certain level of bonding over aspects beyond the content.

I do find some of the OTs vacuous, like someone just really wanted to start a thread that day. But that's why it's marked OT. And nothing is stopping anyone from continuing to post in the O(n)Topic threads that day, or starting one of their own.

Plus, half the time, what the poster thought was OT was pretty relevant after all.

I'm for 'em.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I'm a great admirer of John Cleese. Conan O'Brien once asked him why he was touring again in his 70s. John said "Why? Bloody alimony payments, that's bloody well why!" A deliciously surly bon vivant.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

I'm a great admirer of John Cleese. Conan O'Brien once asked him why he was touring again in his 70s. John said "Why? Bloody alimony payments, that's bloody well why!" A deliciously surly bon vivant.

Rick Wakeman had a 2nd career as a comedian to pay for his alimony obligations so that may not be far from the truth.

Well it doesn't have to be a name. It can just be a random string of characters... which you can change at anytime. Heck your whole post can be a random string of characters, as Theo has proven time and time again.

I also think this forum could use some opinions from the "outside" world, so maybe we should ask the man in the street what he thinks...

When OT is only Semi-OT:

Musicians have similar OT things, especially keyboard players. Examples -

1) we all have to deal with gigging as it applies to our personal lives. It could be hot chicks at gigs or just the weird hours involved. You don't worry about that when you're an accountant. So we have that in common, even though it's OT.

2) gear. Of course if your hobby is golf or boating you can have a conversation about disposable income and hobbies. But when you're a musician, the conversation is a bit different...especially if it contributes income.

3) Most of us tend to be a bit more technical than our other counterparts -many engineers, IT folks, etc. So we end up having OT topics that apply to many of us. Those are different than topics that other forums would find of interest.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

He is reputed to be a first-class, Chevy Chase-level douchebag. Too bad. At least he stayed funny.

Chevy Chase is a damn fine musician. Pretty good voice, too, as he displayed in 'Three Amigos' (which is appreciated more each year as one of the all-time great comedies).

El Guapo: "Would you like to see your friend (Martin Short) die?"

Chase: "I've seen it"

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Archived