Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

King Crimson 2017

GovernorSilver

Caught the Sunday night show at Lisner Auditorium in DC. Mel Collins' return to the lineup was a major incentive for me invest in a ticket, and he didn't disappoint. He was such a strong presence on the 70s records, and his contributions to the post-70s tunes were a treat - strengthening the continuity of the band's repertoire from 21st Century Schizoid Man all the way to the high-tech, drum-heavy explorations of the (literally) 21st century album material. Jakszyk put a creative spin on "Indiscipline" by singing the lyrics (Belew originally read a letter from his wife) and harmonizing his own voice with a guitar line. 78936

Chris Gibson filled in for Bill Reiflin as the full-time keyboardist (Reiflin having dropped his drumming duties). He had a distinctively red keyboard w/ label taped over), and a 2nd keyboard (black, unidentifiable) on a stand. I couldn't really tell what he was playing/doing.

Fripp once again had his iPad for Mellotron parts. At times Jakszyk played his guitar parts while he handled Mellotron duties.

Jeremy Stacey had the center drum chair, splitting his time between drum kit and keyboard rig. His piano and Mellotron parts were quite audible. His skills at the keys were put on display a few times - a nice jazz tinged solo piano intro for "21st Century" among other things. Couldn't tell what his keys/synth gear was, other than I noticed a laptop.

Pat Mastelotto manned the stage-right drum chair and Gavin Harrison the stage-left. The drum parts were pretty well-orchestrated between the three. Harrison got to play a solo drum bit with Bruford-esque MIDI melodic percussion riffs.

They played just about all the tunes I wanted to hear, except Cat Food - only reason was because it was National Cat Day. I'm sure Stacey has the chops to invoke the spirit of Keith Tippett's free jazz piano bits, but it didn't happen.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool. I should check whether there are any dates I can make. I haven't seen Crimson in years, but Mel Collins is a huge incentive for me. He brought so much warmth and balance to the more angular and dark approach of the other players, without softening the overall band sound. In fact, the contrast accentuated the sharp jabs of chaotic expression.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Cat Food...Cat Food...Cat Food.... AGAIN!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Bummed that they seem to be skipping LA.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Did they play 'Heartbeat'? It's my fave KC song.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

He is playing the mellotron parts directly on the iPad?

Caught the Sunday night show at Lisner Auditorium in DC. Mel Collins' return to the lineup was a major incentive for me invest in a ticket, and he didn't disappoint. He was such a strong presence on the 70s records, and his contributions to the post-70s tunes were a treat - strengthening the continuity of the band's repertoire from 21st Century Schizoid Man all the way to the high-tech, drum-heavy explorations of the (literally) 21st century album material. Jakszyk put a creative spin on "Indiscipline" by singing the lyrics (Belew originally read a letter from his wife) and harmonizing his own voice with a guitar line. 78936

Chris Gibson filled in for Bill Reiflin as the full-time keyboardist (Reiflin having dropped his drumming duties). He had a distinctively red keyboard w/ label taped over), and a 2nd keyboard (black, unidentifiable) on a stand. I couldn't really tell what he was playing/doing.

Fripp once again had his iPad for Mellotron parts. At times Jakszyk played his guitar parts while he handled Mellotron duties.

Jeremy Stacey had the center drum chair, splitting his time between drum kit and keyboard rig. His piano and Mellotron parts were quite audible. His skills at the keys were put on display a few times - a nice jazz tinged solo piano intro for "21st Century" among other things. Couldn't tell what his keys/synth gear was, other than I noticed a laptop.

Pat Mastelotto manned the stage-right drum chair and Gavin Harrison the stage-left. The drum parts were pretty well-orchestrated between the three. Harrison got to play a solo drum bit with Bruford-esque MIDI melodic percussion riffs.

They played just about all the tunes I wanted to hear, except Cat Food - only reason was because it was National Cat Day. I'm sure Stacey has the chops to invoke the spirit of Keith Tippett's free jazz piano bits, but it didn't happen.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Found quite a bit more info - he's using a Korg Taktile as the keyboard controller for his iPad. Rest of the Sirius Probe is his rack of Eventide boxes and an Axe FX. Didn't really notice any guitar synth usage - figured he wouldn't be using it and his looper stuff as much with up to two other keyboardists playing live.

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/rig-tour-robert-fripp-609374

I saw the Crimson last night at NJPAC. I have to say, this concert might have been the most fascinating concert I have ever seen. Had excellent seats and could see most everything that was going on. The interaction between the drummers was exhilarating to watch. Honestly, the gentleman playing keys on the second tier stage-center seemed to have a boring job! Jeremy Stacey sounded amazing on both drums and keys.

So.. all Mellotron parts were done from the iPad app? They sounded amazing!

I saw the Crimson last night at NJPAC. I have to say, this concert might have been the most fascinating concert I have ever seen. Had excellent seats and could see most everything that was going on. The interaction between the drummers was exhilarating to watch. Honestly, the gentleman playing keys on the second tier stage-center seemed to have a boring job! Jeremy Stacey sounded amazing on both drums and keys.

So.. all Mellotron parts were done from the iPad app? They sounded amazing!

Yeah, somebody observed that the full-time keys player (Chris) looked like he was sitting in a cubicle, working a regular desk job, lol. He's the 2nd guy who has replaced Bill Reiflin. The first guy turned out to be so highly skilled, especially with piano parts, that Fripp decided to keep him in KC after Reiflin returned - that's of course Jeremy Stacey. I think Chris' role is more like what Reiflin envisioned for himself. If I had Chris' job, I'd probably be sitting there looking kind of star-struck too!

Fripp's Mellotron parts were the only ones I knew of that were iPad-generated. I couldn't make out what Stacey used for his Mellotron parts, though I did see a laptop.

Archived