Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ASCAP question

piano39

So, I perform as a solo act at some nice restaurants and bars. I also play 5 or 6 original songs each gig.

A new restaurant in town is insisting that performers join ASCAP. I never heard of this. I know one local performer that belongs to a PRO and he gets royalty checks when he performs his own music. His CD sales probably total in the dozens. But, I repeat, he claims to be getting royalty checks when he performs his own music.

So:

[*]Are any of you, that are in a similar situation, belong to ASCAP or another PRO?

[*]Have any of you ran into a situation where you need to join ASCAP to play at a particular venue?

[*]If you join, do you join as writer, publisher, or both?

[*]

The cost to join ASCAP is reasonable ($50 one time fee). Need your advice

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This particular restaurant is a member of ASCAP. There are very few venues around here that have live music but are not members. ASCAP has done a good job of insuring that restaurants pay their dues.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

I'm sorry I don't know the rules more specifically.

I can tell you that none of my band members, nor a lot of other musicians I know locally are members of any PRO.

We make sure the venues we play are. We've never been asked to join any PRO by a venue or municipality.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Have any of you ran into a situation where you need to join ASCAP to play at a particular venue?

I have never heard of this. Seems whacky and like someone is misinformed.

If you join, do you join as writer, publisher, or both?

Just join as writer.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

If the restaurant itself is not paying ASCAP/BMI/whatever PRO dues, it matters not of you are a member. AFAIK

If the restaurant is paying ASCAP/BMI/whatever PRO dues, it also doesn't matter if you are a member in terms of any supposed requirement to play there. This restaurant is seriously misinformed.

Just join as writer.

Diverting a little bit maybe, but if you have tunes you've written that are released commercially, and you have a publishing share of the tune, then absolutely join as both. Years ago I made up a name for my "company" and filed a d/b/a at my local city hall. From doing that, I collect publishing on my compositions that I have a share in. Most of the checks I get are around $100 or less, but one year when a tune I co-wrote years ago was sampled by Mary J Blige (almost 20 year after it was released) I was surprised to open an envelope one day that had a check for $24,000. That was for 1/8th of one tune on her CD! There were a few more checks for that song that came after the first one, not quite that large though. I know a little what it feels like to hit lotto!

Just join as writer.

Diverting a little bit maybe, but if you have tunes you've written that are released commercially, and you have a publishing share of the tune, then absolutely join as both.

Of course. I'm assuming the OP doesn't though.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Just join as writer.

Diverting a little bit maybe, but if you have tunes you've written that are released commercially, and you have a publishing share of the tune, then absolutely join as both.

Of course. I'm assuming the OP doesn't though.

Right, I got carried away a little (hence the "diverting", lol). Playing a gig in a restaurant does not mean you have published tunes earning money! But why should he even have to join as a writer then?

If the restaurant told the OP that he needed to join ASCAP, they were seriously misinformed. What if he was already a member of BMI?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If the restaurant told the OP that he needed to join ASCAP, they were seriously misinformed. What if he was already a member of BMI?

Then he should require the restaurant to pay BMI licensing fees before performing there!

:/

And the restaurant would really be confused!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived