Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My first tour: Advice?

Aidan

Bring a deck of cards, you might get some raging poker games going.

And, consider the unexpected. You're only going for a week, but funny things can happen. One week can turn into 2 weeks, into 3 weeks.... you guys might catch fire out there, enjoy!

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it has a replaceable battery mine does not. However, taking a charging brick for emergency power.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

A towel:

"More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: nonhitchhiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitchhiker might accidentally have "lost." What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with."

A towel:

"More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: nonhitchhiker) discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, washcloth, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet-weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitchhiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitchhiker might accidentally have "lost." What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the Galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with."

I always have a small towel with me at gigs. I never forget that towel, as I feel lost without it. It's all becoming clear now.

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

A voltage regulator, if possible. You never know how old the venue and it's electrical wiring is. I've gotten funky readings even from places that look perfectly fine and ordinary.

Here's the British version of the one I use, although there's a bit of a price difference. Here it's $48, for you closer to $75. Still pretty cheap protection for your treasured and expensive instruments.

CLICK

Pack more underwear than you think you'll need. Never know when a laundry may be available, or not.

+1 on the Imodium AD

Drink a ton of water! And enjoy yourself.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Bring lots of underwear and socks. They don't take up much room and if you are changing those, you can get away with re-wearing pants a bunch and shirts a bit.

Sleep is the most valuable commodity. Have fun, but sleep, and try to eat as well as you can. Hydrate.

No matter how knackered you are, and how worn out you feel all day, you can always "get the lights turned on", and get it together for the length of a performance. Aim for it. You know when its coming. When you play, remember to have fun.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Also, don't sweat it too much. A week in Germany is a nice start. :) If you were starting your touring career with a three-month marathon around the continent, that would be a bit more of a challenge. As it is, you're not going too far, you're already a seasoned pro, and you seem well-prepared (see the seasoned pro bit). I think you'll be fine, especially with all the extra checkmarks from here.

Don't leave your stuff in the van at night. Bring the keyboard (at least...) to your room
NEVER leave the gear in the van unattended, even for a moment. There is nothing worse than somebody driving off in the van with all the gear. What you gon' do?
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I echo all the sentiments here:

- as much sleep as possible; make sure drivers change up on long stretches. A travel neck pillow is a must.

- exercise - walk around the city; if the hotels have gyms and/or pools, avail yourself of them. I work out more on the road than I do at home.

- spares of everything (including phone chargers, plug adapters, step-down/up transformers if necessary)

- stupid checks after every gig - I've left a lot of stuff all over the world... if you use a mix of your own equipment and backline, make sure you are on top of what is yours and what isn't - a lot of over-eager techs will wrap cables and grab mics & clips unless I get to them first.

- Bring the gear into the hotel rooms, even if the hotel has "secure parking." Some friends of mine lost everything by leaving their stuff in the van. Don't chance it.

- WhatsApp & Skype are incredible apps to have

- make sure someone has an AUX cable and a phone or iPod full of good music!

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Used to go on three month tours which were slightly different as the dynamics of being with the same people for that length of time are more challenging than a week long trip.

Book or a Kindle. Travelling may seem like fun but the tour bus gets very boring after a while.

Echo the sentiment of using the best cases you can. It's not so much to protect the gear but to protect the gig.

Related to the above point, back up all of your configurations. If you have an equipment problem it's pretty easy to hire equipment in Germany (had to do it once on a German tour). Having all of your sounds backed up makes the experience a lot easier.

May sound strange, but if you are sharing hotel rooms don't forget to bring night wear. Sharing rooms is probably one of the biggest challenges of touring as you are then spending 24 hours a day with other people. If you are used to your own space it can create a bit of pressure.

Get a two copies of the tour itinerary and leave one with your other half. A lot easier to stay in touch these days with mobile phones, internet etc. than it used to be but just in case make sure that people at home have your various hotel details.

Don't know if you'll have any crew but the advice to check the stage after every gig is a good one. Same with the hotel room. We always used to shout 'idiot check' before leaving a room and half of the time there was something we'd missed. One time it was the Carnet which would have created fun when going across borders. Luckily the hotel staff contacted our tour manager who decided to let the offending musical director sweat for a few days before producing the documentation.

Finally, enjoy it and be prepared to be flexible with other people. You only learn the annoying habits of other band members when on tour together and living in each others pockets.

So many drummers, so little time.

Well if you're not flying anywhere, that makes bringing your own backline a lot easier. Enjoy the tour, hope you get some sleep! Routing is key. I have lots of friends who have done the "jazz tours" in Europe... a very exhausting time was had by all. They were going all over Europe though. I see you're only in Germany but you may still have some long drives ahead, Germany is a pretty big country.

I have no real advice but I'll just say that I hope whoever is managing this is a true road manager with experience. Advancing is key. Hotels & backline are the biggies to me. Playing the gig is the easy part! Good luck. I'll be in the UK and Holland next month with AWB so I'll get to experience driving around in a van too!

Archived