Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Insomnia after Practicing

Iconoclast

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not uncommon, even the guy I study with who is 77 years old is 'stimulated' after a gig...it's very common actually.

Not all bad either unless you need to get up early in the morning.

That kind of stimulation is uncommon for most folks who don't play.

I try to think of it as a good thing...but I do eventually get myself to bed. Maybe and hour or so late after arriving home! I usually watch TV and have a beverage. Tea or a light drink as a night cap. sometimes. I tend to not drink on gigs, maybe I will nurse one drink before we start tops.

I actually like being up for a bit! Makes me feel alive!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Right now the biggest challenge is not eating unhealthy stuff when I get home. Ice cream, cookies, you know the drill.

Literally eating oreos at 11:03 while I read this. :o

Nooooo! Save yourself while you can!

Literally eating a bowl of corn chex while I type this.

:drool:

I prefer Crispix. :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I don't even attempt to go to bed for 60-90 minutes after getting home from a gig, no matter how late it is. (When I was playing Bourbon Street, this resulted in me regularly going to bed between 5 and 6 AM. I don't recommend that.) For me reading helps, though I don't mind doing it on my Kindle (set to the lowest brightness), because then I can literally fall asleep reading and not worry about losing my page.

For chemical options, my favorite is Benadryl, which is the "PM" ingredient in any PM painkiller. It's also sold as a sleep aid under the name ZzzQuil at twice the price - same active ingredient, same dosage, so don't be suckered into that.

But for nights when my brain simply won't stop braining, I don't fight it. I get up and do something productive and/or fun work on tunes, goof around online, watch Netflix, whatever. Some nights this simply results in me getting very little sleep, which is suboptimal, but it wouldn't be any better if I were lying awake in bed. I'm fortunate that my schedule lets me sleep in most days if I need to, which I realize is rare.

A little OT, but when do you get your run on? In climates like ours, much of the year I run 5:30 or 6 AM or so. Even I find it's too hot otherwise. This does screw with my late nights, though.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It's good to know I am not alone. I think what happens is our brain is still stimulated from the music, talking to the crowd, a drink or two (if you drink on a gig) and just the whole environment. Our bodies are tired but our minds are very much still stimulated.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I also need time to wind down after gigs. I really love that hour or so of tea, chocolate & social media / correspondence etc.

I sleep really well so normally go straight off, but just occasionally I do not. When that happens I have found the perfect solution: a hypnosis app. :)

There are loads of them available: just go to the app store and search "sleep hypnosis". You will find loads of free ones, so grab one and try it next time you need to sleep. If the person's voice annoys you, try someone else. Get one which you really enjoy listening to. If you want extra benefit, grab one which does more than help you sleep (there are ones to help you start or stop doing all sorts of things which you might want to start or stop doing...). There is even a musicians hypnosis app to help with stage fright etc. but that one is not free (but it is well worth the money if you tense up on stage) .

I guarantee you that hypnosis apps can be excellent. The trick is to not listen with the intention of trying to sleep... instead, just relax and try to listen. Don't worry about whether you fall asleep or not. Don't worry if your mind wanders - it is all good. Don't worry if you hear any external noises - they make absolutely no difference. It probably won't work the first few times as you will be curious to hear what goes on, but after that it is magic. :)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Melatonin gives me bad vivid dreams.

That's strange. Melatonin is what I would've recommended, because I've noticed it helps. I've been using prescription melatonin (slightly stronger) for a few years, sporadically, but now that you mention it - maybe there is some dream weirdness...at least "vivid" ones, as some say. Some report always having nightmares with it, but I don't recall that.

A little OT, but when do you get your run on? In climates like ours, much of the year I run 5:30 or 6 AM or so. Even I find it's too hot otherwise. This does screw with my late nights, though.

I don't have a set time. Shortly after I wake up is ideal, but it could be pretty much any time. And I rarely attempt to run outside during New Orleans summers - that's what the treadmill is for!

I don't have a set time. Shortly after I wake up is ideal, but it could be pretty much any time. And I rarely attempt to run outside during New Orleans summers - that's what the treadmill is for!

I thought the dreadmill was for winter. The only time I've used one was when we were visiting NY last December and it was insanely cold out and sometimes snowing. :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Melatonin gives me bad vivid dreams.

That's strange. Melatonin is what I would've recommended, because I've noticed it helps. I've been using prescription melatonin (slightly stronger) for a few years, sporadically, but now that you mention it - maybe there is some dream weirdness...at least "vivid" ones, as some say. Some report always having nightmares with it, but I don't recall that.

I travel a lot for my day job and there's nothing I hate more than waking up from a dream in a strange hotel room. I guess I could still use it at home though...

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

I don't have trouble winding down but I usually have nightmares after a gig...

I guess that's better than nightmares during a gig?

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Archived