Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ravenscroft 275 for iOS

Sven Golly

Okay, all you budding iPad rig players... just announced, Ravenscroft 275 for iOS.

https://www.uvi.net/ravenscroft-275-piano.html

Pertinent details:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Supported Operating System: iOS 9.3+

Works on:

- iPad 4 or newer

- iPhone 5 or newer (iPhone 6 or newer recommended)

- iPod Touch 6 or newer

883 MB of disk space

THIRD-PARTY SUPPORT

Inter-App Audio, Audio Unit v3 Plugin and Audiobus

External keyboard and MIDI-over-LAN support via CoreMIDI

Bluetooth MIDI Keyboard Compatible

$35.99 USD / $49.99 CAD

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, you Ravenscroft 275 users out there- whaddayatink?

I wonder if my iPad mini 2 will play it. Surprised they only need 833 MBs of space for so many samples. Looking forward to iOS reviews.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win11 laptop // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

The phrase "My God, it's full of stars" comes to my head for some reason.

I'm inching ever closer to a partial ipad rig, possibly for guitar as well--which complicates matters as then I'd need an audio in, so many interfaces won't do it. Anyway though, this is really interesting.

Well alright then. iPad 4 or better is a decent starting point. Can't wait for what follows with the older iOS devices being phased out. This new iPad Pro is said to benchmark like last year's MacBook Pros on some tasks. As storage and RAM goes up too devs will take advantage quickly.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5mac.com/2017/06/14/ipad-pro-versus-macbook-pro-speed-tests/amp/

I wonder if we'll ever see Apple allow AU or plugin architecture on iOS? They still don't permit AU/VST on the macOS app store.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Being an owner of a current iPad Pro 12" model, I can attest that it is handling all my iOS synths with ease. Albeit they are not as intensive as Ravenscroft (yet to buy this one). It handles four instruments in Sampletank as well as either iGrand or iLectric concurrently without a glitch and really good latency (well none, really that I can notice).

The only thing I do notice is occasional note dropout (have to listen REALLY closely hahaha) but I suspect that is more to do with the polyphony of the app rather than the iPad OS and architecture.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Very nice! Now we just need a Mainstage or Gig performer type App to run all these synths. I am currently using AUM mixer and it's great, but does not have the customization that Mainstage has. It's clear Apple is phasing out the older iPads and soon only the 64 bit devices will be supported now that ios11 is on its way. So it will be interesting to see if the iPad gets desktop quality synths in the near future as I am sure the new iPad pros could handle easily.
Nektar LX61+, iPad 9.7 Inch, Mainstage, Korg Kronos 2

Don't software developers usually try to maximize whatever processing power is available to them? Or are they more interested in providing apps that run on the widest range of available devices? The iPad Pro has been out for a while now but we haven't seen a Mainstage-like app yet. Either the tech is not quite there yet or devs are waiting for a larger installed base of devices that can handle the load. Something tells me it's gonna be a while, but I'm sure we'll get there.

Don't software developers usually try to maximize whatever processing power is available to them? Or are they more interested in providing apps that run on the widest range of available devices? The iPad Pro has been out for a while now but we haven't seen a Mainstage-like app yet. Either the tech is not quite there yet or devs are waiting for a larger installed base of devices that can handle the load. Something tells me it's gonna be a while, but I'm sure we'll get there.

Apple makes it a little hard for developers to take advantage of the newest hardware only, as they frown upon apps being device specific. But Apple does always recommend latest version of iOS and they do cut off iOS updates to older hardware. App developers have been very clever in the way they they've dealt with weak CPU, minuscule RAM, and limited storage. Unfortunately not always with the answers we want to hear like running the audio engine at lower sample rate, raising buffer/latency, keeping samples small and stretching, limiting voices of polyphony, etc. Either with active sensing of performance or by allowing users to alter settings whet things don't run well. But app purchasers can be scathing in their reviews on the app store when things don't run to their expectations... 0 stars Fail! can wreck sales and reputation fast and this can make small developers hesitant to put out a hardware intensive app.

Thankfully, every generation of the tablets has seen improvements to the hardware. So we have great things yet to come! Who knows what these creative minds will dream up for us! Audiobus and audio copy/paste midiFlow etc. were answers to shortcomings great devs came up with!

Surprised they only need 833 MBs of space for so many samples.

Just because it has the same name, that doesn't mean it's the same thing. I suspect it's as much the full Ravensoft as IOS Ivory (for Korg Module) is the full Ivory. I would not expect anything like the same experience as on their full Mac/Win implementation. It will be some subset, with a smaller sample set. (Of course, it can still be good... 833 mb for piano is still a whole lot more sample data than most hardware pianos have.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Just because it has the same name, that doesn't mean it's the same thing.

Well, duh. :snax:

(I know you know, Scott, and are only stating the painfully obvious... ;) )

Very nice! Now we just need a Mainstage or Gig performer type App to run all these synths.

It already exists, with Audiobus 3 and the MIDIflow modules.

SG, When you save a patch on MS and the like, internal state ("preset", but not quite) of each softsynth/plugin is saved as well - along with splits/layers. Is there an equivalent operation with Audiobus 3/MIDIflow?

I'm aware you can do it like old-school MIDI - via sending a bunch of PC/CC messages. MS and other hosts take it to the next level, where the musician doesn't even have to bother about all that. Heck, you don't even have to save presets on individual softsynths! Host patches remember the position of every control on every softsynth in the setup.

That's what I'm really intrigued about.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

SG, When you save a patch on MS and the like, internal state ("preset", but not quite) of each softsynth/plugin is saved as well - along with splits/layers. Is there an equivalent operation with Audiobus 3/MIDIflow?

I'm aware you can do it like old-school MIDI - via sending a bunch of PC/CC messages. MS and other hosts take it to the next level, where the musician doesn't even have to bother about all that. Heck, you don't even have to save presets on individual softsynths! Host patches remember the position of every control on every softsynth in the setup.

That's what I'm really intrigued about.

- Guru

Yes, AB3 can save the state of the apps within it. Of course, there may be situations where this MAY not work, depending on which apps you're running, but I'm not aware of any.

Just because it has the same name, that doesn't mean it's the same thing. I suspect it's as much the full Ravensoft as IOS Ivory (for Korg Module) is the full Ivory. I would not expect anything like the same experience as on their full Mac/Win implementation. It will be some subset, with a smaller sample set. (Of course, it can still be good... 833 mb for piano is still a whole lot more sample data than most hardware pianos have.)

We can get a good idea of what's here from the product page. It's 833mb however it's compressed to FLAC - so perhaps more here than the size suggests with regard to how much stretching/thinning done or velocity layers removed. But, only one perspective (close) is included.

No Unacorda

No Half Pedal

No Mute Strikes

No Keys, pedal, sympathetic resonances volumes control

The convolution reverb has been replaced by a more CPU friendly SparkVerb from UVI

No precise tuning

Limited MIDI curve control

And even so, as already mentioned, iPad 4 is minimum spec.

Yes, AB3 can save the state of the apps within it. Of course, there may be situations where this MAY not work, depending on which apps you're running, but I'm not aware of any.

Thanks for the heads up. I just checked out some of the videos and documentation on the State Saving feature of AB3. It does seem to bring things on par with laptop hosts - so long as apps comply with AB3 standard.

This is one more of the many reasons to celebrate being a keyboard player in this day and age. :thu:

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

$56 out here in Oz :D makes it probs one of the most expensive apps in the store!!

Be nice if they gave some sort of free note/time limited demo, especially a that price (for an iOS app). But it does look nice though ;)

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

$56 out here in Oz :D makes it probs one of the most expensive apps in the store!!

Not even close.

Look up Yamaha's Professional Piano Tuning Application PT-A1.

You might want to be sitting down before you do so. :snax:

To answer my own question about whether it'll run on the iPad mini 2: it doesn't specify on app page, all it says is ipad 4 and up. The ipad 4 has the 6x chipset running a dual core at 1.4 hz , the iPad mini 2 has the apple 7 chipset running a dual core at 1.3 hz, they both have 1 GB of RAM.

So it appears it'll probably run, though someone who responded on the You Tube commments section said he had some hiccups with the iPad mini 2.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win11 laptop // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Not even close.

Look up Yamaha's Professional Piano Tuning Application PT-A1.

You might want to be sitting down before you do so. :snax:

:pop: OMG!! i stand corrected - $700!!!

Archived