Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP4 on sale

JB Sherry

There's a deal at one of the mail-order houses for this board. Discounted price plus a gig-bag included. I finally pulled the trigger and should see this baby at the end of the week.

The free gig bag seems to be till the end of June, but not sure about the price drop. They're offering 48 months interest free financing as well. Seems like a good time to pull the trigger if you've been thinking about it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The cynic in me thinks the next CP4 upgrade is coming soon, hence the discounting.

Which, of course, means that all CP4 love goes straight into the shitter, because if it's not the latest, it obviously must suck. ;):P

(not meaning this is your attitude, cp, merely the traditional approach of a lot of folks around this place... :2thu:)

Congrats on the purchase. I'm going on 3 years and 2 weeks with mine. Probably as long as I've kept any keyboard in recent memory.

It's certainly the best sounding and playing electronic keyboard I've ever used or played (Avant Grand aside) in my 50 years of gigging.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Crap. a deal! I am looking at a huge repair bill on Betty the Burb. Right when I am considering a new main gig board of some iteration. Come on Lotto!

[video:youtube]

"I  cried when I wrote this song
Sue me if I play too long"

Walter Becker Donald Fagan 1977 Deacon Blues

Very likely the CP4/40 gets a bump with RD-2000 out and this Korg Grandstage on the way. Kawai MP7 might be due as well. I was actually really surprised how quickly the CP-5/50 were usurped by the CP4. But that was during the worst of the recession and everyone was navigating poor sales.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The CP5, weight aside, was just not a good sounding board in louder live rock environments- unless you had higher end FOH or monitoring capabilities. Coming through the lower cost , generic powered speakers that most use, it lost the "vibe".

I'll probably hold onto mine forever for the house. Playing it solo out on gigs or in more softer Jazz contexts, the CF Grand still sounds great and the keyboard is much fun to play. It feels like a Pro board. But the CF Grand is definitely thin compared to the CFX on the CP4 ...it's night and day.

Also the action, while I like it, was not for everyone.

The cynic in me thinks the next CP4 upgrade is coming soon, hence the discounting.

Which, of course, means that all CP4 love goes straight into the shitter, because if it's not the latest, it obviously must suck. ;):P

I might be interested. I've always been partial to the Yamaha and Roland digital pianos. My progression over the years:

1980's: Roland MKS-20

1990's: Roland/Rhodes MK-80, Roland Sound Canvas

2000's: Yamaha P250

2012: Yamaha CP300

I did purchase a few soft DP's, most notably the Raven's Croft. To me it sounded like a Walmart Frozen TGIF's chicken wing trying to taste like a real chicken wing. I know what they are getting at, and I know that they completely miss the mark.

In my experience (a lifelong Yamaha AP fan and C7 owner), the Yamaha DP has always been deeply satisfying with the P250 and CP300. And I know from reputable players the CP4 has improved on these. So I would be highly interested in the next gen beyond the CP4.

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

Yeah many CP300 players hated the CP5. It was such a departure. I had the CP300 for maybe close to 4 years before the CP5.

In general I liked it (the schlep not so much) but while I could get around better on the CP5's action for Jazz, I could certainly see why many didn't care for it. It has kind of a sterile player connection and feeling for rock.

Also again the sound CP5 CF Grand's sound wasn't near as ballsy and full for RnR stuff as whatever was on the CP300 (CF III ?). From what I saw Chuck Leavell never played a CP5. He stayed with the CP300 till the CP4 came out.

I'd love to see a more beefy and refined CP4 with internal speakers personally.

Apart from the weight, I'm still a happy CP5 owner (is it almost 7 years now?)! Initially I wasn't at all happy with the action, but I've grown accustomed to it.

The presets in it (both the APs and EPs) were not that great in my opinion. Over the years I've created a User bank full of EP's and AP's, including my "go-to" acoustic S6.

I've never actually even tested the CP4 so I don't know if I would make the switch.

Yeah many CP300 players hated the CP5. It was such a departure. I had the CP300 for maybe close to 4 years before the CP5.

In general I liked it (the schlep not so much) but while I could get around better on the CP5's action for Jazz, I could certainly see why many didn't care for it. It has kind of a sterile player connection and feeling for rock.

Also again the sound CP5 CF Grand's sound wasn't near as ballsy and full for RnR stuff as whatever was on the CP300 (CF III ?). From what I saw Chuck Leavell never played a CP5. He stayed with the CP300 till the CP4 came out.

I'd love to see a more beefy and refined CP4 with internal speakers personally.

I programmed my CP-50 for months (6 or so) before I was satisfied with it's digital AP sound/response in louder contexts.coming from my old CP300..it can be done though it may be a little more work than most folks would want to put into programming and experimenting with it. But boy did it deliver, defiantly worth it...it's a monster axe sonic-ly. On those live/recording blues band video studio takes I worked so well it shocked me how good it sounded. I won't sell it. I'd only get what, $700-900 tops.. if it works it works...I've finally learned after all these years what to hold on to . .unless the new Yamaha stage piano to replace the CP-4 is a total monster I might not ever sell it.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

If Yamaha is replacing the CP-4 then it has been a hell of a short product life cycle for such a successful YAMAHA CP. I really doubt it is leaving the line up. I think they need to get a 4 years out of the this one.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Yeh, I wondered it about that. I figured if it were a manufacturer-driven mark-down everyone would have the same offer. When I looked, no-one else had it. I see one other vendor matching the price ( no mention of the gig bag, but that's a Yamaha rebate offer, so looks like it's valid regardless of where you purchase the CP4 ).

Frankly, I need a gigable piano NOW so I have no qualms about pulling the trigger, even if something new may be coming down the pike in a few months. For me, a digital piano is a compromise instrument. I've got a 5'9" Kawaii to practice on. The CP4 hits the sweet spot for me - a very usable piano sound, and a keybed that gives me excellent control of that sound.

(not meaning this is your attitude, cp, merely the traditional approach of a lot of folks around this place... :2thu:)

Well said.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I still wish I could find a CP40 to try. The CF sample works best for me, so I don't really need the CFX.

I have never seen a CP40, but CP4's are always in the store when I go, so I have tried it many times.

Right now , my piano is a P120. I have a magic set of headphones ( JVC, forget the model) that take all the mid range plunkiness out of the P120. I swear... I don't hear much in the newer Yamahas that the P120 sample doesn't have, through the right playback source.

The CP4 is good, but I could never justify the 2K ( plus) price tag.

What samples did the CP5 and CP50 use?

Back to the P120.... it actually sounds more refined ( to me) than the CP33 did. The mid range plunk is the only reason I didn't like the CP33, but the P-120 actually has less of it if not non at all.

I know the P120 is considered a dinosaur but for some reason it is working for me.

BTW... this P120 cost me 50 bucks. It was a god send after my Roland RD300GX was stolen and then recovered as damaged.

LX88,

I played a CP40 three times during a festival this weekend. In the context of a horn band rock gig, there wasn't a noticeable difference from the CP4. Just check the comparison charts to see if features are important to you.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

The biggest difference is the action and piano sample sets. That's reason enough to try them both. The actions do feel and play differently. The NW is based on the GH but with wood white keys, synthetic ivory key tops, and triple sensor.

I've played the CP-40 in jazz band context a few times. The right amplification is a must (as always). It's ok, there are preferable actions to the GH in the 40. But what's your budget and how heavy are you willing to go? I guess the 40 competes with PX-5S/560, FP-50, Kurzweil Artis SE or SP5-8, Korg SV-1 73.

OK... I think I see from the Dave Ferris post above that the CP5 uses the CF sample.

I am not going to split hairs since I do not live with the CP4 (with both CF and CFX ) but when I have listened to both , the CF is the one I would probably pick. It sounds just a bit fatter to me especially in the low end. The CFX sounds rather spacious with a wide stereo image which is nice, but not what I am used to I guess.

I bet I would like a CP5. Dave Ferris teased me awhile back with one I think he didn't want to ship.

Man even if something comes out that sounds 'better' than the CP4 I don't see myself moving past the CP4 at the moment. The sound and playability is so good now that the quality bottleneck is no longer the instrument or samples - it's the amplification (or the quality of my own playing). Piano wise this board is so great for jazz gigs and band gigs and nothing else works as well in both contexts. When I run it in stereo on solo piano gigs it is more inspiring than some acoustic pianos. The time flies by. This is the first time a digital piano has felt that way.

I will say that I wouldn't mind better / more playable EPs and more effects options. The onboard ones are great, but they aren't as vibey and inspiring as say a Nord.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Bobby , back in '14 , from May till Sept. I had the NP2 and CP4 side by side and often compared the EPs - I say often just so my ears wouldn't hear a preference one day and then different on another.

I heard the CP4's Rhodes to have a thicker sound then all the rhodes I had loaded into my NP2 at that time. It's been 3 years so the Nord sample names escape at the moment but they were the typical ones that everyone uses.

If I remember reading, Nord has released at least one, maybe two new samples since the time. So possibly those sound better then the CP4.

I did think the Nord Wurli sounded and played better then the CP4. But for as little as I use that, it's more then fine for my purposes.

I really miss the bagpipes though , so I might be selling it. This band I'm in now does a 15 minute drone / Locrian vamp on E ...you know I'm just really feelin' the bagpipes for that section. If anyone can suggest another sound, please let me know....'cause I'd really rather not sell it, it does piano pretty good in addition to the glockenspiel is unrivaled ! Thanks in advance. :)

I will say that I wouldn't mind better / more playable EPs and more effects options. The onboard ones are great, but they aren't as vibey and inspiring as say a Nord.

I did think the Nord Wurli sounded and played better then the CP4.

as for me, I am fine with the Rhodes in the CP4. Obviously wish tremolo/vibrato/stereo panning, whatever you want to call it was assignable to the mod wheel, big oversight by Yamaha that has been discussed ad nauseum. Wurlitzer is usable at best.

I really miss the bagpipes though , so I might be selling it.

FTW :D:rawk:

:nopity:

I like the cp4 but can't get past it's not having a volume pedal. Will be selling it.

this is a joke, right? :idk

No.

RTFM ;-)

The CP4 is having a volume pedal. I am using it all the time.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

The CP4 can have 2 FC7 expression pedals.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Quite true, CEB. There are actually 4 jacks on the CP4.

Sustain

Assignable

Controller - user assignable

Controller - user assignable

Plus pitch and mod wheels. It's pretty well featured for a "stage piano".

Archived