Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dedicated Nord Stage 3 Release Thread

JWhllr

Alright!! http://www.nordkeyboards.com/products/nord-stage-3

Drawbars on the SW73, HP action retained on the 76, classic HA on the 88. Seems like it isn't using the triple sensor keybed from the piano 3. :(

Upgraded delay effect with an analog mode, and a board wide filter added to the EQ/Drive section. That could be fun.

2GB piano library memory, 480MB sample library memory.

Dayum.

Viscount Legend, Leslie 142, Nord Stage 3 HA88, Rhodes MK1 1977, Moog Sub 37, Dave Smith Rev2, Juno 106, DX7

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For my current needs, it might be replacing my Kronos in the future... More stage happy for the kind of stuff I'm doing these days. Glad I didn't sell my Kronos and buy a stage 2 ex a couple of months ago as I'd been pondering... (And yes, if people are wondering why I've been so caught up in the release drama around the stage 3, there has certainly been skin in the game...)
Viscount Legend, Leslie 142, Nord Stage 3 HA88, Rhodes MK1 1977, Moog Sub 37, Dave Smith Rev2, Juno 106, DX7

Yup, seamless transitions, combined with set list mode seems to be the biggest reason to upgrade IMHO.

I wonder what Super Wave is? It doesn't say anything about it - one could hope it means velocity switched multi-samples, but that's probably hoping for too much...?

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

More memory.

MUCH more polyphony, 120 for pianos and 34 for synth.

Pipe organ.

Seamless transitions.

OLED display(s!) and Set List mode.

Rotary, compressor and reverb per slot, not global.

And a whole new synth section.

Drawbars and halfmoon on the Compact.

No updated 3-sensor HA action, fixed split points (but with 4 crossfadeable zones)

As typical of Nord, not a revolution but incremental upgrades in all areas.

Keeps all the strengths of the Stage 2/2X and improves on it without making the previous model obsolete.

Well done, Team Sweden!

Seamless transitions! They said seamless transitions! Wow!!!! And reverb per slot. Two of my my biggest wishes fulfilled. How much will it be in EUR? Anyone?

5 million probably...

I'm glad I didn't replace my Electro yet. The Stage 3 Compact will be a worthy update.

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

As typical of Nord, not a revolution but incremental upgrades in all areas.

Keeps all the strengths of the Stage 2/2X and improves on it without making the previous model obsolete.

Spider you are spot on. As a Stage 2EX owner i was waiting with excitement/dread to see what the Stage 3 would offer. Whist it has improvements in all areas over the Stage 2, I don't feel the need to throw mine in the bin just quite yet

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage 3

K&M Spider Pro | JH Audio JH5 IEMs | Behringer XR18 | Radial Keylargo

Its a shame there can still only be two synth parts. I know it would mean a big architecture change but I wonder how many people write the Stage off because of that? Appreciate expecting 16 part multi-timbrality isn't what this instrument is about, but maybe 4 parts like on the Lead line would be a good compromise

Its a shame there can still only be two synth parts.

This is definitely the biggest limiting factor, together with the fixed split points. Four parts would be lovely! I wonder though what instruments will be available for the new "layer" category in the Piano Section. Maybe this can be in some way overcome the limit of only two synt sections.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

This is definitely the biggest limiting factor, together with the fixed split points. Four parts would be lovely! I wonder though what instruments will be available for the new "layer" category in the Piano Section. Maybe this can be in some way overcome the limit of only two synt sections.

There are four parts available now - 3 split points, 4 parts.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

There are four parts available now - 3 split points, 4 parts.

Yes but these 4 parts are spread across synth (2 max), piano and organ. This is an improvement though

Minor drawback: the panel lost most of the lovely LED rotary encoders. I hope that's because the new displays show all parameter values and morphing settings.

Otherwise, it's a little disappointing.

On the other hand, the product page says that many more parameters are now morphable... Waiting the manual to check it out!

A pretty good update I must say, addressing a lot of wishes.

Little disappointed in the 2 synth parts which should have been 4!

Seamless transition will help out here...

But had a feeling they would keep the 2 parts

Wondering about the piano layer...

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

This could bring me to sell my Kronos 61 and Hammond SK2. Although I fear the price of the NS3 will be will be barely be offset what I can get out of my two boards. So did I read correctly that the A1 synth engine is now part of the NS3?

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

Very tempting. I'm drawn to the 73 - all that power in a 20 some lb package. How bad does it suck to play piano on that (or the HP) action again?

The action will be the same as the E5d, which you said you didn't like. Personally I don't have a problem playing piano on it.

The A1 engine is a great little synth, I use an A1 live and it's a pleasure to play.

I can't be tempted by this. Even though it ticks just about every box for me.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

So did I read correctly that the A1 synth engine is now part of the NS3?

Yes.

It's a sort of homecoming, as the A1 was based on the Stage synth section.

And now it finds its way back into the Stage 3...with more polyphony, more powerful effects, aftertouch AND sample playback.

Best of both worlds!

(except for having only 2 parts and not 4)

The crossfade split is interesting, having 1 sound gradually fade into the other as you cross the split point.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

The crossfade split is interesting, having 1 sound gradually fade into the other as you cross the split point.

I agree, makes having fixed split points less of an issue. Instead of having the bottom note of your chord go BLEERRUUGH when you acidentally move it into synth territory, it'll be much more subtle.

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I have seen this function, for the first time, in Mainstage.

It's a clever function.

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

Makes the RD-2000 look like a bit of a bargain at £2,119.

Price is broadly where expected and sits alongside Kronos and Montage as the Stage 2 did

I have seen this function, for the first time, in Mainstage.

It's a clever function.

Korg workstations have had crossfaded split points for a long time. The Mainstage adaptive split points is something else.

It's probably just cognitive dissonance (or, less pedantically, sour grapes) because my NS2EX is less than a year old, but I don't get all the excitement.

The OLED is nice I guess but even the small LCD on the NS2, in conjunction with well lit rotary encoders was quite functional.

The major limitation is still the fixed split points, even with the crossfade mitigation.

I'm sure the A1 engine will be an improvement over the current synth engine, but as a weak programmer I've been tickled pink at what I've been able to achieve on the NS2 with just two oscillators and limited routing / mod matrix.

EDIT: Drawbars on the compact. Yeah. :drool:

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Archived