Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alphabetize large song list?

I-missRichardTee

I have never counted all the songs I either

know. half know, or want to learn..

the number is in the thousands

So I am beginning the task and I'm running into the obstacle of a simple solution to alphabetizing an ever growing song list.

If each song was only one word, it would be easier, but songs have multiple words in their titles... so on a Mac or ios platform , can you

suggest apps for this purpose ?

iReal pro does this, but I am hoping to have a quicker alphabetizing ( sorting ) place for expanding song title library.

This is just for the song titles nothing more.

I bought TextWrangler and maybe that's the solution but I had difficulty implementing it!

Online seems to give the nod towards Microsoft apps.. but I do not use Microsoft... I would consider it though.

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If each song was only one word, it would be easier, but songs have multiple words in their titles...

One word or multiple words makes no difference.

The function you're looking for is called Sort. Most spreadsheet, database and text editor/word processing programs will have a Sort function.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

For years, I've kept our song list in an OpenOffice spreadsheet. Song numbers for my PC3 in the first column, song name in the second column, key in the third, composer in the fourth, whatever you need. I just alphabetize the second column and the other columns change with it. It alphabetizes only on the first letter, so I leave off The's and A's. So, The Whistler and His Dog would be in the W's. For new songs, just insert a row and fill it in. OpenOffice is free for Mac and PC. Free is good. Good luck.

Kurzweil PC4

just read every screen carefully before you click I agree and proceed ;)

They want to load you up with tons of stuff you don't want or need.

Edit: You can advance through the rows and columns with the tab key. Once you get going, you never have to touch the mouse. Even fairly large projects go fast.

just read every screen carefully before you click I agree and proceed ;)

They want to load you up with tons of stuff you don't want or need.

Edit: You can advance through the rows and columns with the tab key. Once you get going, you never have to touch the mouse. Even fairly large projects go fast.

Ok, so be careful eh!! I am not the brightest bulb in the os x world!

:wave:

edit

I have open office

thanks

so I use what, spreadsheet??

Thank you... I have it sort of working.. very helpful.

Curisosity question

Why does not Mac support this feature of sort and alphabetizing?

They must, no?

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

Why do you need anything more than basic wordprocessing software or spreadsheet software to make an alphabetical list?

I suspect that I am missing something.

I must be, too - certainly the op's tried this in word?

Step 1: Highlight all the text that is to be sorted.

Step 2: Select Tools > Sort.

Step 3: In the Sort box, select the order by which you want to sort. If you are sorting a table, then Key 1 will be the first condition that will be used to sort, and you can specify the column, Key 2 will be the 2nd condition, etc.

Here for the gear.

Why not use "Word"? Because I do not know much about computers and less so about Microsoft PC world.

But kudos to Open Office :like:

certainly the op's tried this in word?

He said up top that he does not use Microsoft apps.

Why not use "Word"? Because I do not know much about computers and less so about Microsoft PC world.

That said, Microsoft Word does run on Mac as well. ;-) But sure Open Office should be fine!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

My bad - I'm a Mac guy too but Office for Mac has been around for so long, I forgot it was originally a pc suite :blush: I have it because most folks send me their text files as Word docs.

Here for the gear.

LibreOffice - I think Open Office is done.

Numbers on the Mac works as well.

He already has Open Office, he should be all set.

LibreOffice - I think Open Office is done.

Numbers on the Mac works as well.

I don't like Libre as much as I do Open.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

>I don't like Libre as much as I do Open.

Quite possible. I remember reading that the original programmers left and formed LibreOffice. Both have problems but basically work somewhat OK.

There was a notice that OpenOffice was done with development but that was a long time ago. I guess development picked up????

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

I bought Open for both Mac and iPad

Now I have my "storage facility" for endless songs

BUT now I cannot edit them easily.

(I put songlist on Cloud too)

How do I remove songs, and add songs?

I would suggest keeping a working file (spreadsheet or word processor from Open Office) as a master file that you can easily update as needed. Then, whenever yo need an updated copy either printed or posted to the cloud just send a fresh copy. Multiple copies just make it confusing to know which one is the latest one.

Just for what it's worth, google docs works on both platforms, is web-based, would do the job, has cloud storage as well. I use that and have Office 365 on my MBP as well.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

How do I remove songs, and add songs?

You may have different options depending on how you set it up initially (i.e. as a word processing document? as a spreadsheet?), but in general, you should be able to remove something by highlighting it and selecting cut or clear or delete, and you can add something the same way you entered your data in the first place. For example, just go to the bottom of the list and type new additional entries, and then do the Sort function again so that everything is put back into order (including the new entries).

In LibreOffice, select the entire row (on the left). Go to Sheet and choose Delete Rows.

In Google Drive/Docs - select the entire row (on the left). Go to Edit and choose Delete Row.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

In LibreOffice, select the entire row (on the left). Go to Sheet and choose Delete Rows.

In Google Drive/Docs - select the entire row (on the left). Go to Edit and choose Delete Row.

Thank you, I was hesitant to show how little I understand about this

But let me ask..

How do I place the huge song list in these apps in the first place.

Certainly in the first engagement.. not one song at a time?

I am not sure how I did this... but I know I copied the whole list

and somehow pasted the list on the left

It seemed to "work" but I may well have taken up more than one "cell" or whatever it is called towards the right of the far left.

I think I generally utiltized 2 to 7 "cells" ( I am guessing the cell is the correct term ) per song.-- eg one song takes up A B C D E F

another song with a shorter title just A B C

The size of the font is confusing here also. Larger font ( used from another list ) registers as "10".. yet a smaller font registers in the above toolbar as 18!!

Maybe there is a link for the clueless on whatever this topic is called? Spreadsheets 101?

Somehow or other I copy a n individual song title and delete it successfully. It leaves that spot empty but still with its number intact!... a small success!

And this ( the above is strictly about the Macbook not the iPad )

"Office 700" is very buggy , it does not work at all well on the iPad.

>There was a notice that OpenOffice was done with development but that was a long time ago. I guess development picked up????

Not really: https://lwn.net/Articles/699755/

It's a long complicated story. But most people would be better off with LibreOffice at this point.

I already spent $4 on office 700 ( the presumed by me.. ipad version of Open Office ) and it is very clunky

I tried to get a refund with no luck

now libre office does not seem especially "friendly" for iPad- I search for it at AppStore with no luck!

I would appreciate a link to libre for Mac and iPad, and maybe a brief explanation about what might be involved in the download

maybe a PC app needs to happen before Libre functions?

In the past, wishing to stay on Mac I tried barebones text wrangler

it appears once again poorly supported and the ipad version is a no go!!

Regardless of platform ; What the heck is going on with this kind of app anyway?!?

If you want an iPad app that plays nice with a MacBook, you may want to spend a little money on Pages, Numbers, & Keynote. They work transparently with each other, plus if someone sends you a Word, Excel, or PowerPoint file, you'll be able to open them and work with them.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

>There was a notice that OpenOffice was done with development but that was a long time ago. I guess development picked up????

Not really: https://lwn.net/Articles/699755/

It's a long complicated story. But most people would be better off with LibreOffice at this point.

I already spent $4 on office 700 ( the presumed by me.. ipad version of Open Office ) and it is very clunky

I tried to get a refund with no luck

now libre office does not seem especially "friendly" for iPad- I search for it at AppStore with no luck!

I would appreciate a link to libre for Mac and iPad, and maybe a brief explanation about what might be involved in the download

maybe a PC app needs to happen before Libre functions?

In the past, wishing to stay on Mac I tried barebones text wrangler

it appears once again poorly supported and the ipad version is a no go!!

Regardless of platform ; What the heck is going on with this kind of app anyway?!?

I'd say that if you really want to stay with Mac and iPad/iPhone and get the experience out of the their ecosystem, you should use the Apple apps - in this case Numbers (which have the sync and collaboration features you need).

Personally I have a Windows convertible (so I use the same screen and the same apps both as a laptop and tablet), but for gigs I bring a larger Samsung (Android) tablet. I keep all my songs (hundreds of originals and original transcriptions/arrangements), plus several complete real books (for taking requests or jams) in Fakebook Pro. Most were PDF or scanned originals, others imported from other formats.

Rock bottom bass

Fakebook Pro Sheet Music Reader - at every gig!

It seemed to "work" but I may well have taken up more than one "cell" or whatever it is called towards the right of the far left.

I think I generally utiltized 2 to 7 "cells" ( I am guessing the cell is the correct term ) per song.-- eg one song takes up A B C D E F

another song with a shorter title just A B C

The size of the font is confusing here also. Larger font ( used from another list ) registers as "10".. yet a smaller font registers in the above toolbar as 18!!

Maybe there is a link for the clueless on whatever this topic is called? Spreadsheets 101?

Somehow or other I copy a n individual song title and delete it successfully. It leaves that spot empty but still with its number intact!... a small success!

And this ( the above is strictly about the Macbook not the iPad )

"Office 700" is very buggy , it does not work at all well on the iPad.

If it's behaving the way you state, with each word in a title going into a separate cell, you must have tabs instead of spaces between the words? Or maybe you're importing as "space delimited text"?

If you can figure out a way to sent the list to me, I'd be happy to see if I can get it into shape for you. PM me if you like.

Or maybe you should use a database instead of a spreadsheet for this kind of thing...

:snax:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I didn't mention it at first because the OP indicated that the purpose of the list was pretty narrow. But several months ago, I asked here for guidance on creating a spreadsheet that could be sorted in various ways, with hotlinks to PDFs of individual songs. The advice I received was great for anyone considering that type of project.

Archived