Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: What's cooking?

Dave Bryce

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good enough, big guy?

I'm going to try that version. I always saute the onion first then add garlic, never considered adding the onion after the crushed tomatoes. I also do one can crushed and one can diced for texture. Thanks for the recipe.

:nopity:

I'm going to try that version. I always saute the onion first then add garlic, never considered adding the onion after the crushed tomatoes. I also do one can crushed and one can diced for texture. Thanks for the recipe.

I do both - half the onion get sauteed with the garlic, the other half goes into the sauce after the crushed tomatoes. Best of both worlds, doncha know.

More recipes!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I do all the cooking in my family. For Christmas we all travel to see relatives, and they get me to cook the dinner each year.

My basic holiday dinner each year is leg of lamb, mashed potatoes, and Fordhook lima beans. I love the lamb gravy on the potatoes. And then, I'll make some other things that change each year. This year I also roasted a chicken for a few of the kids who don't like lamb, and asparagus wrapped like a barber pole in bacon strips, then puff pastry strips, baked for 18 minutes.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Plus, the house smells fantastic when I bake bread.

Boy. Ain't that the truth. When I lived in Boston, I used to drive past a large bakery on the way to work and every morning that aroma would just knock me out. And it wasn't even particularly good bread.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Homemade bread is the best bread. Plus, the house smells fantastic when I bake bread.

Does it ever. When I was married we had a breadmaker and it did a great job.

Here's something simple...

When I cook hamburgers, I put Worcestershire sauce on the pattie when I first put it on the pan. Of course the meat should be not frozen when you do this, because you want the sauce to absorb into the meat as it cooks.

I don't even need ketchup or cheese, just the hamburger bun. The meat alone tastes awesome. Sometimes I'll put Heinz 57 BBQ on it, nice combination with Worcestershire seasoning.

All of our bread is home baked fresh by yours truly. Homemade bread is the best bread. Plus, the house smells fantastic when I bake bread.

I think the smell of fresh-baked bread is literally the best smell in the world.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

(joining the conversation late)

My wife makes most of the stuff that's good for you; I make the cookies, brownies, cobbler, and puddings, all from scratch. I occasionally make actual food, such as mac-and-cheese, and scalloped potatoes (which should never have cheese).

I gotta check out that thermometer. I currently use a thermostatic alarm meat thermometer, mostly for baked potatoes: When the center of the potato is 209 degrees Farenheit, the potato is perfect.

My friends and wife acknowledge that I make the best white bread in the world. It's a hybrid of the More With Less Cookbook and Alton Brown. What's fun is the alcoholic element: I use an egg/milk wash to make a nice brown crust (optional sesame seeds stick to the egg wash nicely). Even for two 1.5 pound loaves, that only uses about 15% of the egg-and-milk solution.

So I add a half cup of half-and-half, a tablespoon of sugar, a drop of vanilla extract, and a teaspoon or so of rum to the leftover egg wash. Grate a few molecules of nutmeg over that, and I can have a nice serving of eggnog as a "reward" for baking the bread.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Archived