Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzwiel K2500RS worth repairing?

SteinwayB

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sometimes cable connectors oxidize or get dirty so just unplugging & plugging back ribbon cables & other connectors will get things going. If ICs are socketed I press on them to reseat. Also, you might want to use a compressed air duster to blow out dust & possible metal shavings. Look for loose screws a wire going to a terminal screwed into the case could be a ground connection, so a loose screw or nut there can cause flaky operation - go through & re-tighten what you can see & reach. After that, get out the wallet!

The switches under the plastic buttons need to be replaced once they stop working. I had broken button switches on all Kurzweils I owned. The repair is delicate and expensive. The unit must be disassembled completely. And the problem will go on with other switches once the first couple of them are fixed. These switches are prone to failure after a couple of years.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Thanks Tom. That's the information I was looking for. I did send a message to Jean and he responded stating he could not answer the question and would have to have a local repair facility investigate. Based on your post it appears this is not worthwhile. Any idea what this partially disabled unit is worth if anything? Again, the sounds all work fine, there are just significant limitations on the ability to edit.

I owned a K2500XS. IMO, the buttons and switches were the curse of it. The KB played and sounded great. But, after a trip or two to the repair shop, I had to unload it.

Now, I may have felt differently with a rackmount unit. IIRC, the buttons and switches were more robust.

So, repairing the K2500RS might be worthwhile especially if a MIDI controller can be mapped to minimize the button presses on it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Thanks Tom. That's the information I was looking for. I did send a message to Jean and he responded stating he could not answer the question and would have to have a local repair facility investigate. Based on your post it appears this is not worthwhile. Any idea what this partially disabled unit is worth if anything? Again, the sounds all work fine, there are just significant limitations on the ability to edit.

Hard to tell what a partially disabled K2500RS is worth. A talented DIYer could do the fix for cheap. The required micro switches are only a few bucks. The expensive part is the required working time.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

Archived