Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I am SO done with JBL

Synthaholic

Last night, 4 or 5 songs into my gig, and still at a low volume, my JBL EON 510 blew up again.

The first time it happened it was still under warranty, but I still had to drive 2 hours each way - twice - to drop off and pick up.

The next time it was the other one, out of warranty, and it blew while breaking down after playing a new year's eve gig, 2 years ago. This time, I mailed it off to Tampa to get repaired, and with shipping it ended up costing $350.

The same one blew last night. I'm not spending that kind of money again. I'm just going to buy an EV to replace it.

What I'd like to do is find a tech who will bypass the amp and let me just power it from one of my spare amps. Ever since JBL started making everything in China it's been cheap crap - they still sound good, but break down frequently. I've been told this by both the techs who fixed my EONs.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Describe what happened. What do you mean that it blew up?

Also, to run this speaker passively, you'll need a crossover. To find a suitable crossover, install it, and make everything work and sound good, it's probably going to cost you more than it's worth.

Scrap the JBL and buy another brand. Life is too short to be frustrated like this.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

It just shut off. I popped out the fuse, and it was fine. Just to be sure, I switched it with the spare fuse that's in the holder. Still nothing.

If you have any ideas to try, I'd love a suggestion.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

JBL isn´t what is was in the past.

It´s just only a sticker being put on a cab made cheapo in china.

Class D amp inside, branded "Crown" which also isn´t was it was before.

Can be an Eminence speaker/driver is a better piece of gear than a so called "JBL" driver,- since Harman bought JBL and we all know,- now Samsung bought Harman.

There are also EV cabs which don´t have real EV drivers inside,- at least that was w/ the cheaper SX-100 and 200 while the SX-300 had a real EVM 12" driver.

A.C.

I'm thinking about getting the Electro-Voice ZLX12P, which I believe some folks here have had good experience with:

http://www.proaudiostar.com/electro-voice-zlx-12p.html#features

But I'm wondering if I want to go the powered route again, after all the troubles I've had. If the amp goes, you're stuck. Or I could go with the Electro-Voice ZLX-12, passive:

http://www.proaudiostar.com/electro-voice-zlx-12.html#features

On the one hand, I think "$50 for the built-in amp". On the other hand, I think "if it blows, it's useless".

On those JBLs, I've never turned them up over 1 o'clock. So frustrating.

The powered cabs almost always sound better than their passive counterparts.

They have active EQ and phase correction to make the cab response as flat as it can get.

ZLX12P is a fine choice. I have a pair and would buy again. If you call ProAudioStar and talk to a live person you will likely get a better deal - I did.

Moe

---

They have active EQ and phase correction to make the cab response as flat as it can get.

ZLX12P is a fine choice. I have a pair and would buy again. If you call ProAudioStar and talk to a live person you will likely get a better deal - I did.

I was planning to call them in a bit. I'd like to decide in time to get the order started before Monday.

I do have some concerns, though, after reading some of the reviews regarding reliability:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/electro-voice-zlx-12p-12-2-way-powered-loudspeaker

Interesting. I ditched my EV ZLX12P after two years and got me an EON 610, which I just returned because it doesn't have enough power. Now going for a Turbosound Milan M10, waiting for delivery.

I'll risk crucifixion and say I like my puny little Behringer B208D better than both the EV and JBL. That is why I want the TurboSound. It is now a Behringer company.

Uli Behringer explained it in an Q&A on a live sound forum some years ago. In the early 1990's he experienced difficulties getting his Chinese supply chain to deliver stuff up to spec, and it affected performance and reliability of his products. So he decided to build his own factory there, so he could control the entire supply chain.

Meanwhile, the competition started getting their stuff made by the same manufacturers he got burned by...

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

If you have any time at all, consider widening your search to include Turbosound's iQ series, which are getting rave reviews in pro audio forums. I'm sure I'd at least try to audition a pair if I were in the market. The iQ10 sells for around $500.

Disclaimer: Turbosound is now a subsidiary of Music Group. If that spooks you, nevermind...

Yes, the iQ is the one I really want, but can't afford.

I have only good experiences with Behringer products, but I realize that is not a popular opinion around here.

local: Korg Nautilus 61 AT | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer | 16" MBP M1 Max

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Yes, the iQ is the one I really want, but can't afford.

I have only good experiences with Behringer products, but I realize that is not a popular opinion around here.

I've had my Behringer mixer for going on 20 years with no issues, but I've heard the stories.

I just read in one of those MF reviews that the EV has a 3 year warranty. Can anyone confirm?

My credit cards ( I know my recently departed Costco AMEX did - Costco recently switched to Citibank Visa) offer an extra year tacked onto manufacturer warranties, so 4 years is pretty good. I'm going to call my AMEX Blue and my Citibank Mastercard to see who has the longer add-on.

I was done with JBL in the 80's...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I was done with JBL in the 80's...

I still have two MR825 15" + horn in my storage shed that have never let me down, and used to have the MR835 3-way, which was a beast. But the 825s are 70+ lbs per cabinet, and way overkill for my gigs these days.

But that was when JBL was still JBL.

I have a pair of SRX 715s that I use for mains and will probably never get rid of - just a fantastic combination of great performance, light weight, and good looks. The newer SRX 800 series is getting good reports from sound pros too.

So JBL is still JBL. But their baby coffin Eons just weren't one of their better efforts IMO.

OK - info sharing time:

Just called AMEX Blue: 1 additional year on the warranty.

Citibank Thank You Preferred: 0 years (could have sworn it was 1 year).

And the winner is . . .

Costco Citi Visa: 2 additional years on the manufacturers warranty - repair, replace, or refund of the purchase price, excluding shipping, if they opt for repair.

So, if it turns out that EV does indeed offer 3 years, it then turns into 5 years. If I get 5 years out of a $350 (or less) speaker, I'm a happy camper.

If anyone has anything to add that I'm missing, please pipe up!

I love Costco.

3 letters: Q S C

3 words: Too much money. http://i.imgur.com/4i6Ckte.gif

I know they are very good, but I don't need these speakers for every gig, or I would make the investment. Most of the time my SpaceStation V3 is just fine.

In fact, when the speaker blew last night I ran to the car and grabbed the SSV3 and it sounded great with the other EON510. If there was a 12" SSV4 I would be buying that in a heartbeat.

No.. Two letters: EV

Fast forward to 2:58 of this clip:

[video:youtube]

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Got two new ZLX12P's from ProAudioStar for under $600. I sold that crappy QSC for $700 and pocketed $100 while getting better fidelity and louder output. IMHO, QSC's are so damn over-rated. They are fine for low volumes, but when you start to push them they become sonically unstable.

Got 2 new EV ZLX 15 at Pro Audiostar for $750 out the door. For the money these speakers are hard to beat.

Yeah, that is a great price! I am too old to lug around 15's, and the 12's have more than enough bass for my Mojo.

3 words: Too much money. http://i.imgur.com/4i6Ckte.gif

I know they are very good, but I don't need these speakers for every gig, or I would make the investment. Most of the time my SpaceStation V3 is just fine.

OK. I hear you about $. If you'd said you had a SSV3 back at the top, I wouldn't have even bothered posting. :cool::like:
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

The lead singer in one of our bands has a home studio we practice in. One of his 15s (I actually don't know if they are active or passive - i'm guessing active) blew out. He said he's going to buy a JBL if he can afford it.

I asked him why and he said because JBL is the best!. i laughed and told him no, they are not. There are many options. I need to stage an intervention before he misfires ...

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Got 2 new EV ZLX 15 at Pro Audiostar for $750 out the door. For the money these speakers are hard to beat.

I havent heard the ZLX series, but I play an ELX112P and love the tone. thick warm full sound with lots of punch. I also got a banging deal from them which is why I bought it (one of the rockers here pointed me there, thanks KC!).

I'm like DHam - too old n lazy to lug around two 12s. I like gigs where I don't even have to bring it at all and just use a separate stage monitor mix. I think about getting a pair of 10s someday, just not high on the urgency list as I always run FOH and most of my bands are fine in mono stage sound.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I'm buying the EV first thing Monday morning (Pro Audio Star is closed on the weekend), but I just saw this and was wondering if it was worth picking up as a backup or if it's total crap.

It's the Stupid Deal Of The Day, at $99, but I'm inclined to believe all Gemini is total crap. Opinions?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/gemini-es-12p-12-abs-powered-loudspeaker

I'm buying the EV first thing Monday morning (Pro Audio Star is closed on the weekend), but I just saw this and was wondering if it was worth picking up as a backup or if it's total crap.

It's the Stupid Deal Of The Day, at $99, but I'm inclined to believe all Gemini is total crap. Opinions?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/gemini-es-12p-12-abs-powered-loudspeaker

All Gemini is total crap :).

I have had zero problems with all my Electro Voice Speakers from my s1803 Cab to my ZLX15P.

Personally, I really hate the idea of putting electronics in a box whose job is "to Vibrate" I wish speaker makers would suspend the amplifier / electronics with some sort of shock-mount.

Having said that, The weight / Size tradeoffs are just too tempting. I have been using My ZLX15P weekly for about 3 yrs now.

So far so good.

Karl

MPCX, RD-800, Vsynth, Matrix 12

Archived