Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stage keyboard, $800 or less

cedar

I'm looking for recommendations for a decent "stage" keyboard, in the $500-800 range, for my son.

My son is a capable, but not serious, jazz/rock keyboardist. He played in various bands in school, graduated college last year and I just want to get him something to encourage him to keep playing by himself, at the occasional jam session and perhaps in some "garage bands."

For these purposes, I think we just want a weighted keyboard with decent AP and EP sounds. Probably would be useful if the keyboard had built-in speakers, though certainly not essential. Light-weight would be nice. More important is action that most closely approximates a real AP.

Any suggestions? I'm partial to the Yamaha brand mostly out of familiarity. I'm hoping that there are some good Black Friday deals.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sound set is old Motif leftovers but you could try a MM8. If one was backlined I would play it with no issues.

I was in a Guitar Center Wednesday morning to pick up a piece of gear and tried the new Williams pianos. They ALL still suck. I heard they had improved. Those reports were over optimistic.

See about a Black Friday deal on a Roland DS88 or Kurzweil SP 4-8.

$1200-1700 new I like Yamaha a lot. Less than $1200 I like the Casio stuff or would go used. At $1700 Kawai rules.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'm not sure what value onboard speakers will have if the use is for "Stage" - e.g. play in a band. he'll need off-board amplification either with his own amp (ppa?) or through the main PA system.

the only weighted board in that range I can think of is a Casio - I've never used or owned it so can't comment. there are plenty of fans on this forum. I wouldn't limit to just AP and EP if he is a rocker, but that could be me alot more than him. I need synth and emulated instrument (brass, strings, etc.) along with AP or EP.

I picked up a Yamaha MOXF6 for travel gigs and I like alot, i find i'm using it more on local gigs just because its so light and easy for load in/out). But its not weighted and its only 61 key which limits me on some AP songs (i use my XF7 for gigs that have enough AP songs). Full XF libraries but its $1200 without adding a flash memory board. I don't know much about Yanmmy lower priced options.

seems most on this forum that want a sub-$1000 weighted pro board go with the Casio PX-5S?

today is the day to go shop, check online options as well as brick n mortar! :)

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Only purpose of onboard speakers is simply for added convenience at home, should he not want to stay connected to an amp or use headphones. But this is certainly a lessor concern.

I'll search for online deals on all the recommendations, and probably take him to local retailers today. Thanks for all suggestions.

I would pick up a new DGX-650 for those needs.

Lots of noises in that board, decent action, built-in speakers. I have owned a DGX-620, its predecessor, for nearly a decade. It has served me well, but it is starting to show its age. I still use the DGX for rehearsals because it is more convenient than the CP4. I bought the CP4 because the 620's key contacts were getting flaky from overuse and coffee spills.

I am actually thinking of getting a 650 for myself. It fullfills my rehearsal needs so well.

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

In your price range, for AP in particular, I'd look at the Kawai ES100. EPs are decent too, with the big caveat being that you can't defeat their effects. Not too heavy, built-in speakers. (As a bonus, it has real MIDI ports.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

That Kawai ES200 looked and sounded nice. (After seeing that, I'm going to recommend my sister check it out for my niece).

On the PX-5S - if he doesn't need all the extra sounds and would value speakers, aren't there other privias that would be a better choice? He wants good action, AP/EP, and speakers are a bonus.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Yes. I played the PX-350 ( I think that is the number. ). Side by side it plays just as good as the PX5s. I think it is the same keys.

I would take these Casios over Yamaha until you get to the P-255 but that is a $1200 slab. That said my daughter really likes the DGXs.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'll also highly recommend the Casio Privia series. They are light weight but still have a weighted keyboard which is very good for playing electric and acoustic pianos. The sounds are very good too and you are sure to find a used or display model for pretty cheap while a new one won't break the bank either.

I also recommend you stay away from the Williams Pianos. They feel and sound atrocious. Don't be swayed by the price or a pushy salesman at Guitar Center.

Latest Set Up: Kronos 61, Casio Privia, Korg TR61, EoWave Ribbon, TEC Breath Controller, StudioLogic MP-117 Bass Pedals, Moog Theremini.

Would anyone care to talk about using a midi controller? I'm thinking that if you already have a laptop that could handle the sound libraries then something like:

Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Keyboard, 88-Key

by Native Instruments

Akai Professional MPK88 Hammer Action USB Midi Controller

Studiologic SL88 Grand 88-Note Graded Hammer Action Keyboard

might fill the bill. Thoughts?

You may want to look at the Yamaha P-115. It fulfills your requirements within your budget and is satisfying to play in my opinion. I don't currently own one but have played one a dozen or so times at a regular jazz gig I play and have always been pleased with it. It' cuts through and the keybed is fast. Most retailers seem to selll them for about $600.

Yamaha CP-73, Hammond SK Pro 73, Yamaha MODX 7, Roland Fantom 06, Roland VK-8M, Yamaha FS1R

I'm still intrigued by that Kawai es200. Any other reviews?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

On the PX-5S - if he doesn't need all the extra sounds and would value speakers, aren't there other privias that would be a better choice? He wants good action, AP/EP, and speakers are a bonus.

Yes. I played the PX-350 ( I think that is the number. ). Side by side it plays just as good as the PX5s. I think it is the same keys.

Yes, as EscapeRocks said, they have the same keys, but the piano and EP sounds are not identical (or as editable), so there are trade-offs (in both directions).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

CGP-700 is worth considering. It comes with a stand that has an extra speaker system in it has a beautiful touch screen too. It can still be taken out without the stand to the gig and has 1/4" outputs. It has many new sounds over the PX-350 (most from the PX-5S).

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

OK. Here is a little report.

Took my son to a local Guitar Center and Sam Ash, neither of which had any decent selection on display (hardly a surprise). For whatever reason, two of the keyboards on display were the Casio Privia PX-350 and Yahama PSR 110. He preferred the Privia, partly because it had a pitch bend wheel.

I then researched many of the keyboards mentioned here, particularly the PX-5S. Overall, I think the PX-350 is a better fit for my son. He's not going to care about the deeper editing options, and probably won't appreciate differences in the default AP or EP sounds. The PX-350 seems easier to play right out of the box. And the onboard speakers may actually prove somewhat convenient. Perhaps they are even loud enough to play in small, quiet settings (like accompanying a singer)? And it looks the metronome is easier to access on the PX-350.

I noticed some quirks: e.g., apparently the PX-350 output suffers unless you plug in something to the hesdphone jack. But the 350 seems fine for his purposes. I also don't think the various rhythm accompaniments will be of any use to him. The 350 has less flexibility regarding the MIDI and zones but I just don't think that will matter for him.

I'm sure some of the other options mentioned in this thread would be fine too, or perhaps superior. Maybe I could save a few bucks by shopping a little. But it's a huge disadvantage when the keyboards are not on display locally.

Having said that, I'll probably pick up the 350 today. At worst, if my son loses interest in the keyboard, I figure I can use it as a spare.

I then researched many of the keyboards mentioned here, particularly the PX-5S. Overall, I think the PX-350 is a better fit for my son. He's not going to care about the deeper editing options, and probably won't appreciate differences in the default AP or EP sounds. The PX-350 seems easier to play right out of the box. And the onboard speakers may actually prove somewhat convenient. Perhaps they are even loud enough to play in small, quiet settings (like accompanying a singer)?

Also consider the PX-360, which has what you like about the 350, but with better EPs, better speakers, nice touchscreen.

CGP-700 is worth considering. It comes with a stand that has an extra speaker system in it has a beautiful touch screen too. It can still be taken out without the stand to the gig and has 1/4" outputs. It has many new sounds over the PX-350 (most from the PX-5S).

Indeed. For the same price as the PX-350, the 700 is a no brainer. A friend has one and loves it. My PX-5s is even a little jealous.

Kurzweil PC4, NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.

Indeed. For the same price as the PX-350, the 700 is a no brainer. A friend has one and loves it. My PX-5s is even a little jealous.

Yeah, I'd third that opinion on the CGP-700. A friend of mine recently picked one up with a bench and pedal, and it's got some real kick to it along with more versatility than the PX-350, which I'd initially recommended to him.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

One more worth considering: the Roland FP30. I haven't played one yet, and it's pretty light on features, but just for AP/EP, it might do the trick... action and speakers are supposedly better than most in the price range.

Archived