Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Out of the comfort zone

Aidan

So tonight, I am playing a whole set of tunes in a genre in which I have only a passing interest and no performance experience whatsoever ska with a band mostly playing classic Two-Tone covers (Specials, Madness, Selector, English Beat).

I have to admit, initially I thought it might be the most simple and boring job in the world a life spent chunking the offbeat, right? However, as I've got more and more into the parts, I've discovered a whole load of unsuspected subtleties, like push or pulling it slightly, playing 'just enough' and I've really explored my SKs' Vox emulation for the first time!

The band is pretty busy, and next month we're opening for Bad Manners, which should be fun. Most of them (apart from the drummer) are young and pretty and I feel pretty much like their grandad sitting in but hey. I'm not sure how long it will last most of their gigs are in the Birmingham area, which is about an hour's drive each way, and largely because of the size of the band, the money isn't great. But it's been fun learning about something entirely new.

I've also started working as the accompanist for a ladies choir based at our local hospital. They're really good and their conductor is a first-class choral trainer. It's been sight reading agogo and I'll tell you, that part of my playing has really moved forward in the last few weeks.

Anyway, the point of this post was really to encourage you to say 'yes' if you also get a call that takes you somewhere new musically. You never know what you might draw out of it!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool post Aidan! I think you are totally right. It reminds me of the first time I played in a big band. I showed up for rehearsal, got 5 big maps of music in my hand and off we went. Really really a out of my comfort zone experience, but learnt a lot. In just a few rehearsals I became significantly better at sight reading, listening to the band, hearing I was way off:p, etc!

The Choir gig sounds nice. I sang in a classical a capella Choir. Something magic about making music with voices alone!

Rudy

Ska was the precursor to Rock Steady which morphed into Reggae as we know it. Ska is not that tough you just have to get used to it. Playing it on Bass on drums is a lot tougher.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Nothing good ever came from the comfort zone, just sayin. That goes for chicks, too.

It's the same as the "friend zone". You don't wanna be there.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

So tonight, I am playing a whole set of tunes in a genre in which I have only a passing interest and no performance experience whatsoever ska with a band mostly playing classic Two-Tone covers (Specials, Madness, Selector, English Beat).

I have to admit, initially I thought it might be the most simple and boring job in the world a life spent chunking the offbeat, right? However, as I've got more and more into the parts, I've discovered a whole load of unsuspected subtleties, like push or pulling it slightly, playing 'just enough' and I've really explored my SKs' Vox emulation for the first time!

The band is pretty busy, and next month we're opening for Bad Manners, which should be fun.

I've played a lot of ska, rocksteady, reggae and Two Tone. I depped in Bad Manners a couple of times, which was an....experience :)

Old school ska and rocksteady is not so simple as people think - you have to get the groove. Some of the more modern stuff can be more straightforward, tends to be faster.

And overall I agree - it's good to try something new and different!

Remember - you can make a record without an organ on it, but it won't be as good

www.robpoyton.co.uk

Aidan, have a blast with that variety of gigs. :thu:

Thought I just had a lean and lethal jazzy funk band. Now, other musos want to use my rhythm section for studio recordings.

Sometimes, just being on the scene and playing music pulls us into other directions that may not be within our regularly scheduled comfort zone. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived