Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

JD73 and band playing the Behringer Deepmind

fjzingo

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many thanks for the share guys and your support! Was really nice to be asked to demo the DeepMind 12 with my band! Hope you dig it and any questions you have feel free to ask, happy to answer them

All the best, Dan

Chief Product Officer at Rhodes®. Project leader and designer of the Rhodes MK8 piano and V8 Plug-in.  

Nice one Dan, killer band! saw it on facebook so I thought this crowd here ought to hear someone who can play demo it.

So whats you're impression, to me it did sound kind of gentle/balanced like Rolands usually are?

Been thinking for a long time to get the ob6.

/Fred

Yeah it definitely has the Roland-ish vibe (and its own distinct character too) so it fits into tracks without any processing nicely, it has a really nice round low end and thick lower mids with a smooth top end and present upper mids too but still with plenty of bite when running in 24db mode but it sounds more aggressive and dirty in 12db mode. Ive just made some patches where I had it doing some really convincing moogy leads and nasty basses with the bass boost engaged which adds some lovely depth/sub thickness. Where I think it really excels is for pads, it sounds lush! It also has this kinda acoustic/woody quality to the oscillators which I was really digging, which the electric piano sound at the beginning and end in the video show well I think- that particular sound is very pianet T like! Effects are great too and all the mod possibilities too, really packs a lot in!

Ps the ob6 would compliment it nicely- very different sound. And thanks for sharing again man! :)

Chief Product Officer at Rhodes®. Project leader and designer of the Rhodes MK8 piano and V8 Plug-in.  

Oh man, great band and tune.

I'm not sure this particular demo would sell to anyone who is already familiar with the current hard/soft VA landscape.

I'd want to hear new/different.

But I'm gonna play that video again, because funk.

-John

I make software noises.

I like that Behringer is posting videos of real musicians playing it and not just do/producer types cycling through the presets.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

About 4:26 the drum rolls dont match the video. This is a mimed performance to a studio recorded track. Its good and they played very tight but if it matters its NOTa live recording. Always watch the drums . Almost no drummer alive can play a fusion track and get every roll the same. Neil Pert is close maybe.

FunMachine.

About 4:26 the drum rolls dont match the video. This is a mimed performance to a studio recorded track. Its good and they played very tight but if it matters its NOTa live recording. Always watch the drums . Almost no drummer alive can play a fusion track and get every roll the same. Neil Pert is close maybe.

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

Cmon use your head. Open drum mics in the same room as the live bass amp? No engineer would do that. If somebody needs to punch in youre screwed. The sound is too studio dead for it to be a live recording. To much separation .

FunMachine.

Have you ever done video editing? They use the mixed down audio track as the guide and cut in all the different camera angles. Sometimes it's difficult to get things lined up, other times, the video editor will pick a shot from another part of the performance that he likes and cut that in. Usually only musicians notice the anomaly.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I like that Behringer is posting videos of real musicians playing it and not just do/producer types cycling through the presets.

I've been waiting for this for a while. :like:

Although, I'd wouldn't have complained if he had a third DM12 behind him with one more patch on this jam. :)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Damn, that was rockin'. I'm not yet clear on whether or not the DM12 will allow you to step through a patch list for a set, but I'd love to hear Dan step through four or five other sounds along the way. That's just a personal greed for more synth noises, because the band's actual playing is impeccable.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

It doesnt bother you that the open chords has a sustaining note the player doesnt hold down? If it is important for you to believe youre seeing a live played video i will heretofore cease my efforts to say otherwise. Enjoy.

I guess you never heard of a sustain pedal?

Dan

It doesnt bother you that the open chords has a sustaining note the player doesnt hold down? If it is important for you to believe youre seeing a live played video i will heretofore cease my efforts to say otherwise. Enjoy.

dude...LOL..

You obviously did not see where he played the sustained note on the bottom Deepmind12 on his stand and that's the note that is sustaining while he is doing the rest.

Don't know why you have such a hard on for this but it's okay if you go away, like you mentioned above

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Yes, the sustained note is held from the bottom Deepmind 12. I have a sustain pedal on my Arp String Ensemble. People have been doing this for decades.

Which begs the question: "Is using a sustain pedal cheating?"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Dan

Let me address a couple of comments. :)

The whole thing was completely live, with 7 cameras in the room. The room is an old church at Nave Studios and it's absolutely cavernous. Andy the engineer at nave achieved great separation just by solid mic and speaker placement in the room so there was minimal drum bleed from the kit onto the bass and guitar mics. Nothing was mimed or replaced and the take went down as you see it- one take straight through. Sustain pedal was used on the lower dm12 to sustain the pad sound where needed. I just wanted to show some solid sounds in a band context as a contrast to other demos out that use many sounds that are heavily effected. I went for 3 solid patches pretty much completely dry.

Archived