Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best show on TV

"Breakfast with the Arts"

Sunday mornings 9-10 (in my town) on A&E

It's mostly live-in-the-TV studio music interspersed with talk with the artist(s). Really great peak into the minds of songwriters and muscians.

Wide range of pop, jazz and some classical guests.

I really like this one.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew someone would begin the "TV sucks" attitude. (Although, being Dak, it was done with some sharp wit. ;) )

I just don't understand that attitude. We don't have cable, yet I find all too many great shows on TV. More than I have time to watch, that's for certain.

Among those I consider great:

1. The West Wing
  2. Law & Order
  3. Law & Order: Criminal Intent
  4. Law & Order: SVU
  5. ER
  6. Alias
  7. Frasier
  8. Scrubs
  9. Friends
  10. Will & Grace
  11. Everybody Loves Raymond
  12. Sunday Morning (CBS)
  13. Nova

This partial list doesn't include the plethora of network shows I don't watch but are respected and elicit many wonderful comments. Such as the CSI franchise, Third Watch, The Practice, etc.

And then you have cable channels that are fantastic. From Bravo's Inside The Actor's Studio to The History Channel to A&E and the Discovery franchises. And I'm sure plenty of people will look to HBO's original fare as well.

If you don't like TV, fine. Don't watch. Encourage production of better shows. (We lent our voice to keep I'll Fly Away on the air in the early 1990's. In the end we failed, but it stayed on at least one extra season because of passionate viewers' comments.)

And, of course, TV is no replacement for a good book or human interaction by families and friends. But there are many wonderful programs to watch both on Network and Cable channels.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I generally surf back an forth between A&E, the History Channel, Bravo, etc...

I've seen breakfast with the arts.

Speaking of which, there's a cable channel called just "Art" which features music videos. Now, mind you, these aren't your run-of-the-mill videos. A flamenco guitarist, for instance. And one absolutely hilarious video of...are you ready for this?...OPERA. And, the best part of it was they had subtitles in English...and the lyrics were truly stupid. But, it was great. Whoda thunk they'd ever make a video of OPERA!!!????

Here's a little gem I watch occasionally that you'll be able to relate to, Neil...CMT. Some of their stuff is actually interesting...not just trite country videos.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Hah, thanks Neil.

There are actually a few programs I enjoy though I don't watch too often, other than Law & Order & varients.

I'll also watch NOVA & some other programs of type.

Austin City limits, Soundstage & a couple of other music programs as I find them and can stay awake. :bor: Breakfast With The Arts does sound like it would be a watchable program.

Westerns.

:freak:

Some re-runs, now and again;

NYPD Blue

All in the Family

Andy Griffith/Mayberry RFD

I Love Lucy

Seinfeld

Jackie Gleason & Red Skelton when I can find them.

Depending on things I may watch between 10 and 15 hours per week, generally an hour or so as I'm going to bed and some when I wake up on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

If I'm sick, all bets are off & the boob tube is on all day and often well into the night.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I was never much of a TV guy until about seven years ago when my wife (then girlfriend) moved out from NY. She was much more of a TV kid than I was. Now it's our routine to tape all of our faves and watch 'em later since we're both usually doing work stuff during prime time.

The show we both look forward to the most is CSI (the original...that Miami spinoff is really weak in comparison - or maybe I just don't like Caruso). She's big on the L&Os but I'll usually work through them.

Comedies: Simpsons, King of the Hill, Raymond, Frasier, Friends (yeah, about time for the last three to retire). Of course, Seinfeld doesn't *ever* seem to get old and I doubt there will ever be anything new again that makes me laugh like that show.

Guilty Pleasure: American Idol. Just can't turn away. Cheesy? YES! But I *love* it.

My 20something self would be quite disgusted with my 40something self. :D

this house is empty now...

24 :thu: oh yeah!

Alias :thu: oh baby!

practise :thu: oh no!

CSI: used to be great now it seems its all graphic sex crimes, turn it off more than 1/2 the time.

The West Wing: rocks (even thought i am a conservative, it gives some, i think good insight to how the govt works (or dont work) the back door handshakes, closed door meeting etc.)

Law & Order

Law & Order: Criminal Intent

ER i love it but like the pratice more.. my wife and i fight over who gets to watch what.

PBS/ learning channel etc. sucks sorry, when i turn on the "boob tube" i want to be a "boob", entertained.. i dont want to learn or think. i use it to escape from life not to think about more stuff.

give me a movie anyday! and i hate sit-coms. although i love re-runs of Mash.

scott

Originally posted by F7sound -:

American Chopper - a nice, wholesome family that builds motorcycles together. What great, healthy entertainment!

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

ReGurgiTron - status: fully operational, capabilities: none

BWAHAHA!!!

What a group of Yahoos.

They're making it good though. They are on Earthlink ads on television hiping the high speed internet Earthlink is running now.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by daklander:

Originally posted by F7sound -:

American Chopper - a nice, wholesome family that builds motorcycles together. What great, healthy entertainment!

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

ReGurgiTron - status: fully operational, capabilities: none

BWAHAHA!!!

What a group of Yahoos.

They're making it good though. They are on Earthlink ads on television hiping the high speed internet Earthlink is running now.

Dak,

And not only that, every time you see those dudes, they are wearing their swag, (shirts, coats, hats....) which, guess what? You can buy it too! Talk about marketing!!!!

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

ReGurgiTron - got swag coming too!

Occasionally i start to wonder if that show is scripted....

But i will admit that i'm very suspicious of *anything* on t.v..., so y'all should probably ignore me.

But American Chopper is relatively entertaining. I once turned wrenches in a shop (automotive) that was full of people just like that. It was a gas. Too bad it didn't pay for shiz...

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

24 - Incredible! I'm a season behind, watching the second season now on DVD.

The Practice - This show got so bad it was pathetic. This year however its been outstanding. They brought in James Spader and the show is basically about his character now....its been fantastic so far this season. :thu:

The Sopranos - Starts tonight, can't wait.

Curb Your Enthusiasm - So outrageous. Sometimes this show stresses me out so bad I can barely watch it, but its always so damn funny.

Scrubs - Another favorite!! YEAH.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I've only seen "Breakfast With The Arts" a couple of times. SHAME on me! I can't even remember who I saw on those shows, and I knew while watching that I never heard of them. But the show's approach is so tasteful, it was STILL compelling.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Originally posted by Kendrix:

"Breakfast with the Arts"

Sunday mornings 9-10 (in my town) on A&E

Didn't know this existed, will have to tune in this weekend (unless it comes on after the lift lines open). Thanks, Kendrix!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

malcolm in the middle

It's my only religion.

Funniest show I've ever seen, and it's based on the childhood writings of the creator of the show. He claims that WAS his chilhood.

Poor guy. Or lucky guy, not sure which.

Friends was funny 10 yrs ago. It got old quick for me.

The Shield is quite good. I like shows that portray cops as the maniacs they are (my dad and bro-in-law are cops).

If you don't wanna be nibbled, don't play with the bunny.

God created Eve and me, not Steve and me. - Adam

Originally posted by Tedster:

...Speaking of which, there's a cable channel called just "Art" which features music videos. Now, mind you, these aren't your run-of-the-mill videos. A flamenco guitarist, for instance. And one absolutely hilarious video of...are you ready for this?...OPERA. And, the best part of it was they had subtitles in English...and the lyrics were truly stupid. But, it was great. Whoda thunk they'd ever make a video of OPERA!!!????

Here's a little gem I watch occasionally that you'll be able to relate to, Neil...CMT. Some of their stuff is actually interesting...not just trite country videos.

Ted, we have ARTS on a second public television station that runs all spanish sesame street and other public tv shows. Then, at night after 9 or 10pm they run the videos you spoke of. Weird combinations of videos, too.

Funny thing, Ted. Since we don't have cable, I never get to watch CMT. I was fortunate to catch a few shows they produced when I was at my father-in-law's home. Some good stuff. Of course, the Johnny Cash memorial show at the Ryman (The one I couldn't get on crew for! :mad: ) was fantastic viewing.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Some of my favorites are:

Fear Factor

Las Vegas

American Idol

The Apprentice

David Letterman

Enterprise

Seinfeld

Stuff I used to watch before I downgraded my cable service:

Insomniac

American Chopper

Monster Garage

Lexx

Howard Stern

Sopranos

Sex in the City

Curb Your Enthusiam (I don't have cable, but I see episodes)

Law And Order

Simpsons (including syndication)

Seinfeld (syndication)

Frontline

Nova

Great American Frontiers

Austin City Limits

Soundstage

King of Queens (it'll do in a pinch)

Raymond

Can't watch ER (they took it as far as they could)

Fawlty Towers (PBS reruns)

Monty Python (PBS reruns)

Red Dwarf

Sunday Morning - CBS (Some great music interviews)

Pete

Archived