Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peter Martin 2 minute Jazz tutorials

RudyS

I know there are a lot of online resources and there are probably more good ones, but I wanted to give a heads up for the 2 minute Peter Martin tutorials on youtube.

These are short tutorials focussing on how to practice your jazz playing. Because they do not have a lot of content, you can manage the information and really work with them. I like them a lot and think Peter is an awesome player (and a great educator!).

Just type "2 minute jazz peter martin" at youtube.

Rudy

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a big fan of his playing, too. I first encountered him playing with the great Christian McBride. Then I found stuff like this on YT. :drool:

[video:youtube]

BTW, Peter Martin's videos including the two-minute jazz videos can be found here

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Wonderful pianist and accompanist who now resides in my hometown of STL, I believe. I've been a long time fan.

Helpful videos for sure. He could slow everything down a bit - the spelling of the voicings, the passing chords, the chromatic lines. For instance - where do you start the chromatic line when using them in the context he was on Darn that dream

There's a lot of info to digest, much of it very meticulous. I like to just slow everything way down when practicing or teaching.

Fwiw I use a Bb dim. as opposed to Bbm7 on Darn that dream. The melody is an E not F. But it's often played that way (probably more often then the original) so no big deal.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Thanks to Dave Ferris for pointing out the importance of slowing things down when teaching.

I was a high school music teacher for many years and I assure you that I had very few if any geniuses in my classrooms. I discovered over and over that slowing things down to understandable levels was crucial in any successes that I had.

I have known a lot of people who are good at demonstration. But very few who were real teachers.

That being said, I have not been able to look at the Youtube video that is being discussed, but I will check it out.

Wonderful pianist and accompanist who now resides in my hometown of STL, I believe. I've been a long time fan.

Helpful videos for sure. He could slow everything down a bit - the spelling of the voicings, the passing chords, the chromatic lines. For instance - where do you start the chromatic line when using them in the context he was on Darn that dream

You are right Dave, but in his defence, I think the videos are more just bits to get ideas and work with them, rather than give a note to note example on how to play something. But of course, slowing down would help to understand it more. Then he should name it 5 minute jazz:P

Rudy

I'm a big fan of his playing, too. I first encountered him playing with the great Christian McBride. Then I found stuff like this on YT. :drool:

BTW, Peter Martin's videos including the two-minute jazz videos can be found here

Cool video Joe! Thanks. What I really like about him is his timing. He is so concise with his playing.

Rudy

You are right Dave, but in his defence, I think the videos are more just bits to get ideas and work with them, rather than give a note to note example on how to play something. But of course, slowing down would help to understand it more. Then he should name it 5 minute jazz:P

I agree with you Rudy. I'm not slagging on Peter at all, but these Two-minute Jazz videos are at least somewhat helping him to promote his online lessons. From what I've seen, you can slow those down as well as see the notation in real time of what he's playing.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I considered his online lessons too, but then I went back to my local jazz piano teacher so I'm good. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another video of Peter with Christian McBride, this time the full quintet of Inside Straight.

Archived