Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Joey D.at Catalina Jazz Club in L.A.

HammondDave

Sept. 16 and 17... Anyone want to meet there?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to but after the traffic nightmare I went through last night to see Chick I don't know. We wanted to be there between 7-7:30 for dinner and all that construction around Wilshire and Highland just kicked my ass. An hour and a flippin half from Manhattan Beach. Still, it is Joey...

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

OT rant- My wife met a friend at the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica yesterday for lunch. She left at 2 PM and it took her just under 2 hours to get home here in Glendale doing the 405-101-134.

Her office is in downtown LA on Figueroa, just up from USC. 12 miles from the house. That's twelve. It can often take and an hour and 15 minutes to get home. Sometimes longer when there are events - Laker/Clipper/Kings games, concerts at Staples center.

Unless I absolutely have to - I never leave my area of North East Glendale, Montrose, La Canada, La Crescenta and parts of Burbank & Pasadena. And even then I'm careful not to get on a freeway before 10AM or after 2:30 PM.

I don't know how it's possible but traffic is getting worse. And the Westside ? .forget about itclosed indefinitely ! :cry:

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

You Californians waste so much of your life sitting in traffic.

It reminds me of the old Alan King line: "They say you live longer in California...it just seems longer in California".

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Joey can either be great or bland.

One of the best performances I ever saw him do was when he demoed the Numa organ at NAMM in 2011. He was really inspired. He improvised on a blues form for close to 10 minutes but it was all interesting and great. That perfomance might still be on Youtube. Under Numa organ, NAMM 2011.

I was there with late list member Steve Hegman BTW... who I had met at NAMM dinner.

I saw Joey at Steamers the next year and it was.... not good. He played nothing but boring standards.Then I noticed he is not doing that gig anymore. Plus, his longtime drummer was not there anymore either I think doing NAMM and then that club gig became a burnout.

As far as L.A. traffic..... a couple years ago I tried to get from the La Brea exit on the 10 freeway down to Melrose, at about 7 30 P.M. It was some of the worst traffic I ever have experienced.

That being said , the traffic situation in Portland is getting bad. I commute from Salem and it is common for I -5 to be backed up now on weekends, and that never used to happen. There is also a lot of development happening in S.E. Portland that has completely changed that part of town - for the worse.

Plus the Portland music scene has practically vanished. Lots of places with micro brew beers... and no music. The younger generation doesn't seem to require live music, with the exception of large expensive "shows". I might have something to do with interfering with their incessant cell phone fiddling.

I'm doing a gig in LA tomorrow. Is traffic the reason the support act at the Hollywood Bowl is playing after the headliner? People want to get home & not get stuck in traffic? I never saw this but I guess there's a first time for everything!

Are you and Dave Hart doing the AWB ? So Benson's going on before you ? I see Jeff Lorber's on the bill and a tribute to Grover Washington.

I'd say get in touch to come over and hang for a minute - I'm not that far from the Bowl, maybe 8 miles not that means anything time wise :/ - but I'm guessing, logistically, you're short on time. ;)

I saw Joey at Steamers the next year and it was.... not good. He played nothing but boring standards.Then I noticed he is not doing that gig anymore. Plus, his longtime drummer was not there anymore either I think doing NAMM and then that club gig became a burnout.

Yeah Steamers closed maybe a year and a half ago. Terrence couldn't make a go of it any longer.

Maybe I'll reconsider relocating to Oregon in the future after the dismal report on Portland. Although if and when that point in time does happen , I doubt I'll have any interest in playing gigs. Just practicing at home. :)

As far as L.A. traffic..... a couple years ago I tried to get from the La Brea exit on the 10 freeway down to Melrose, at about 7 30 P.M. It was some of the worst traffic I ever have experienced.

A couple of years ago ?! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The Westside in comparison was like Scottsbluff, Nebraska back in those wonderful, glorious days !! Like I said:

. And the Westside ? .forget about itclosed indefinitely ! :cry:

Are you and Dave Hart doing the AWB ? So Benson's going on before you ? I see Jeff Lorber's on the bill and a tribute to Grover Washington.

I'd say get in touch to come over and hang for a minute - I'm not that far from the Bowl, maybe 8 miles not that means anything time wise :/ - but I'm guessing, logistically, you're short on time. ;)

Dave's doesn't play with AWB (he sat in at a gig we did in Vegas a while back). And the gig is Sunday, not tomorrow so I will actually have Saturday night off in L.A. Yea, we're closing the show, playing after Benson! I don't get it. Also I have no idea who else is on the bill thanks for letting me know! It would be nice to hang but I might be with some family I have up here (still waiting to hear) plus I am not mobile as the band has two rented vans that may be spoken for. We're staying in North Hollywood.

Traffic... My Wife commutes from Long Beach to Burbank every day.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Tickets are now on Goldstar for $15! No-Brainer time!

Traffic... My Wife commutes from Long Beach to Burbank every day.

That's a hard one. I did Redondo Beach to Pasadena for almost 4 years. I had to leave at 5:30 AM to make it bearable.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Archived