Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chick Corea Elektric Band Reunion Tour

Phnymiboy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
saw this last week. Other than LA and NYC, there are only 5 shows. Playing near me on a Monday night. Monday nights don't work for me to get out. Going to try to make this work. Really want to see this.
:nopity:

I hope your symphony hall is kind to amplified music (Philharmonic Hall in Lincoln Center here in NYC is a terrible place to hear it). The Blue Note NYC has pretty good sound but 2 shows a night is a bit of a red flag that's a rough schedule, I would be pretty wasted by the 2nd show of a 5-night stand. And I'm 15 years younger than Chick! Well, there's lots of Starbucks in Manhattan!

To me the "classic" line up is the first one, with Scott Henderson on guitar.

Way more musical...

But that reunion won't happen for damn sure :)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Way more musical...

Why not? Is there a story there?

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

Way more musical...

Hell yes! I agree. And I agree.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Why not? Is there a story there?

Dangerous road to go down on this forum. Without trying to start a debate or even a discussion on the topic, I think it's okay to summarily state that there was a combination of factors for Scott and Chick being incompatible bandmates. Specifically, in addition to Scott having personal issues with Chick's Scientology, he didn't like that Chick was pushing a commercial angle with the Elektric Band in that first year (clothes, performance practices, music videos, etc). You're welcome to Google it for more info.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

My prog rock band opened for Jeff Berlin's "Vox Humana" band in 1985 (Berlin, Pat Coil, Steve Houghton and Scott Henderson - on what Berlin announced was Henderson's first tour of his young career), Keystone Berkeley on University. I believe he was invited to the Electrik Band the very next year.

His own comments about that Electik Band tenure embedded in THIS forum post.

I remember meeting Scott at the original Musician's Institute in Hollywood. I think it was either '80 or '81. That is when my long tenure playing with the "big band" began. It lasted something close to 26 years !

The band was created for the rhythm players of the school to sit in and read the charts- guitar, bass and drums. There was no keyboard department at that time. I remember playing the worst rhodes of my life twice a week doing that band.

The school was only a one year term at its inception and Scott was a student. He would occasionally play with the big band and read the charts. Some of the rhythm section player/teachers were Steve Houghton, Jeff Berlin, Bob Magnuson, Steve Bailey, Howard Roberts, and other people that floated in and out.

When I first heard Scott in the big band context he actually sounded like a student in that he was scuffling to read the charts. But then I heard an early configuration of his first group before Tribal Tech at a small club in Hollywood, not far from the school. As I was listening, even though it wasn't quite my thing, I was blown away and thinking out loud -- wow, what the heck are you doing attending a place like MI ?!! He was just unbelievable !

I love Chick, John and think Eric is one of the greatest sax players on the planet..and ditto for Dave on his instrument. But I was never a fan of the electric thing. I saw them at a tribute to Chick at the Hollywood Bowl years ago and the precision with the way they were able to execute those parts, at those tempos, was nothing short of other wordly. Still not my thing.

All that said, I feel Chick continues to be an inspiration for all of us, young and old. Just in his outlook of- hey I'm always gonna play/burn as long as I can. :cool:

His endurance, mental outlook and overall health much be way better since he lost some of that weight. He's looking like a lean, mean, music making machine at 75. :2thu:

Well said, Dave.

I loved the first Electrik Band record, although I was still quite young and anytime I could hear fusion shedding, I was a fan. Especially in that period, just as the smooth jazz scene was starting to steal thunder from the fusion period.

Saw Electrik Band twice in the '80s, once with Scott Henderson, the other with Frank Gambale. I had not heard of Scott H., but hearing him for the first time, I became an instant fan. For me, he was the highlight of the show, albeit at a large outdoor NYC venue.

I've loved all of Chick's periods, but Electrik Band leaves me a bit flat, even though I wore out the record. The whole presentation of the band seemed too precise live, especially with Frank Gambale. To me, they sounded just like the record, which is maybe a bit too "digital".

They are all monster players and Chick is a legend, but I ended up preferring the Akoustik Band a bit more.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

• 4 weeks later...

Oh cool, they're coming to Alexandria in October.

Regarding Frank vs. Scott on guitar, I initially found Frank to be less musical-sounding to me, even as the compositions for the band got more ambitious (eg. the Inside Out album - quite a bit more out there to me than the debut album).

Frank's guitar playing though has matured considerably over the years. Seems to coincide with his switch from that yellow Ibanez shred metaller's axe to Carvin semi-hollowbody guitars.

So yes, I'd consider seeing them play in October.

Wow, I love all their albums, Eye of the Beholder, Light Years, Inside Out are all amazing, definitely want to make it out to one of the NYC shows. I saw then a couple times back then too (and have seen Chick live in several other formats although I missed the RTF reunion tour).

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

The view from our table at last night's show.... This is where they sit you when you have a beautiful wife.

Incredible show! A band of Monsters who play like time stood still.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/hammonddave/image_zpsaz6mxlrm.jpeg

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

That's the kind of seat that makes me go home and cry! Congrats.

OT: While we are at it, anyone else think Eternal Child is among Chick's greatest compositions?

(Upon closer inspection I realized that was not Bruce Hornsby sitting in)

A taste from last night's show. If they are in your town, make sure that you see Chick and the boys!

[video:youtube]

Some Moog Fun...

A Little Shred....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

It was $50 per seat at Catalina ($40 for week nights). They also have a two drink minimum. Unfortunately the Food sucks there.

A taste from last night's show.

Sounds good. It's mind-blowing that at 75, his virtuosic playing and artistic output remains on that high level - in addition to the fact that he's always touring (often multiple bands) like crazy.

By the way, they posted a video about the E-band's rehearsal, and he had a Montage there as well... Was he still playing an XF, though?

He had a XF8, a Mini Moog Voyager, and a grand piano.

One of the cool things about living in LA...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure you have already seen this, but here's Herbie joining Chick on a two-piano jam on "Spain". Check it out the whole way through (20 minutes!) - Herbie's playing is incredible on an overplayed tune.

It's brutal recorded sound quality on an equally brutal/bright Yamaha CFIII. To top it off, it sounds way over miced and it's coming through that horrible sound system they use there. I don't get it , other then- we don't have the dough to keep the piano in good shape or to invest in a good sound system. Funny how other clubs, some in smaller cities, manage to get the two most important things about a jazz club right. :rolleyes:

Rant aside :D - yes, check out Herbie's reharmonization chords on the Bm, A intro section starting at around 4:18 to 4:22. And look at Patitucci's reaction. His expression seems to be saying - can you believe that ?! That's pretty amazing for just getting up cold out of the audience and no pre-planned idea (I'm just guessing) that he was going to be playing Spain.

His unique ability to hear and visualize ear stretching lines and chords way outside of traditional jazz harmony, has always been his strongest suit in his later years imo.

Archived