Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Zappa's Birthday

I miss Frank. I have wondered, daily, what he would have thought, said, and written, concerning the state of world affairs since 911. The day he died I went to an open mic in Northampton and sang "Let's Make the Water Turn Black" a capella. Not many people there got it, but nobody threw anything at me, either. :D So what's your favorite Zappa/Mothers tune? It's hard for me to pick one, but I do especially love "Willie The Pimp." The riff, the lyric, Captain Beefheart's voice, and that wild violin by Jean-Luc Ponty. Watch out where the huskies go, everyone.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Arjay: [b]So what's your favorite Zappa/Mothers tune? [/b][/quote] On what day?...at what hour? Way too many to consider. I miss his music and his voice also... He was the maestro!
Who keeps moving my chair?

I miss Frank too. The sad thing is in some of his last interviews he was so excited about his Synclavier, he finally had a way to orchestrate his music as he heard it in his head, without the distractions of other humans trying to interpret his music and the costs of doing so. Can't give you a favorite song, but "Jazz from Hell" is definitely my favorite album, it showed the direction he was heading and I'm so sorry he couldn't get there.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

"the muffin man is seated at the table in the laboratory of the utility muffin research kitchen - reaching for an over-sized chrome spoon, he gathers an intimate quantity of dried muffin remNANTS......and brushing his scapular aside, he proceeds to dump these inside his shirt - he tunrs to us and speaks: [i]SOME PEOPLE LIKE CUPCAKES BETTER. I FOR ONE, CARE LESS FOR THEM[/i] arrogantly twisting the sterile canvas snoot of a fully charged icing enointment utensil,(laughing) he puts forth a quarter-ounce green rosette near the summit of a dense but radiant muffin of his own design. later he says: [i]SOME PEOPLE...SOME PEOPLE, HEH, LIKE CUPCAKES EXCLUSIVELY WHILE MYSELF I SAY THERE IS NOT NOR OUGHT THERE BE NOTHING SO EXAULTED ON THE FACE OF GOD'S GREEN EARTH AS THE PRINCE OF FOODS................THE MUFFIN...[/i]" we miss you Zappa!!
0096 2251 2110 8105

God knows what he's doin' He wrote this book here An' the book says: "He made us all to be just like him," So... If we're dumb... Then God is dumb... (An' maybe even a little ugly on the side) Happy B-day Frank. R.I.P. -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Arjay, if my memory serves me, I think that was Don "Sugarcane" Harris on "Willie the Pimp..." I'll have to go dig it out... Anyway, my favorites include [list] [*]"Peaches en Regalia" [*]"Blessed Relief" [*]"King Kong" [*]"Orange County Lumber Truck" [*]"Transylvania Boogie" [*]"Twenty Small Cigars" [*]"Big Swifty" [*]"It Just Might Be a One-shot Deal" [*]"Waka/Jawaka" [*]"The Grand Wazoo" [/list]

Pick ONE favorite FZ tune ? Impossible, even picking a favorite album is very difficult. I could however name my top 10 FZ album list (but only if I don't have to rank them). His contributions to Music, Art & Society is way beyond what he did as a composer and musician. He was always very vocal and outspoken, I don't think he ever offended anyone without a good reason for doing so. Frontrunners like FZ will always be needed. /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

I always liked "Cheepness" (I think that's how he spelled it) from "Roxy and Elsewhere"...his ode to bad horror movies. I was just watching a thing on TV today about the 1966 floods in Florence, Italy, and found myself singing "She was the daughter of a wealthy Florentine Pogen"...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I love so many Zappa tunes it would be ridiculous to list them all here. One tune that popped into my head immediately and always does when his name is mentioned...I suppose it's my favorite: "Uncle Remus" that guitar solo, actually both of them (middle and the song's fade out) kills me everytime I hear it. I simply love his music...it wasn't until after he died that I got to know how great a person he was. [ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: Steve LeBlanc ]

Bobby Brown The Torture Never Stops What's The Ugliest Part Of Your Body? Ms. Pinky Camarillo Brillo I'm The Slime Lucille Why Does It Hurt When I Pee? Dancin' Fool Yo Mama Flakes (great Bob Dylan parody by Adrian Belew in the middle) Don't Eat The Yellow Snow Joe's Garage Wild Love ... and many more ...

Tedster, Close -- it's "Cheepnis." dansouth, I almost mentioned "Camarillo Brillo." It's not really one of my favorite [i]compositions[/i] of FZ's, but the drum fills Ralph Humphreys plays between the lines of the song are astounding.

I grew up listening to FZ. Thanks to Uncle Ed. Out of 70 some odd albums, its hard to pick one song out... But for some reason I never could get enough of Magdalaina off of Just Another Band From LA. Another one is this old live video I have of Zappa from the '70's doing Florentine Pogen with the original band from that album. Not too sure about the particulars of that one, but man, I think I'm gonna go watch that right now!! One thing I thought was great was this artical in Rolling Stone that I read about Zappa right after he died. One of his final dying wishes was that people would re-do his music. LETS GET STARTED!!

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Just a reminder...don't throw out those NO-D glasses yet! From the WE ARE WHAT WE WATCH poster... Home video is the last frontier of entertainment based on personal taste...enjoy this freedom now before the forces of evil take it away. Nobody has done a better job fighting the forces of evil than Frank. I would love to know what Franks thoughts would be on the Cyber-Liberties issues... Internet Censorship. Considering how bent these evil forces got over "Heavy Metal Video Radiation"...imagine how excited they are today...I mean, this internet thing really is a beautiful thing! Why not fuck IT up too? Please do not take our internet freedom for granted... What would Frank do? I've started to educate myself. You might want to read up a bit on this issue...a good place to start might be http://aclu.org/ I recently saw Ann Beeson ( National Staff Attorny/ spokeswoman for cyber civil liberties) on tv mulchin some fanatics...I thought she was great! Favorite Zappa...Broadway The Hardway.

[quote]Originally posted by Cereal: [b] and something about a dental floss pony up in Montana [/b][/quote] Thats Montana off of Overnite Sensation- My favorite part; I'm plunkin the 'ol dennil floss Thats growing on the prairie- pluckin the floss! I plucked all day an' all nite an' all afternoon..... I'm riding a small tiny hoss, his name is mighty little, he's a good hoss- Even though he's a bit dinky to strap a big saddle or blanket on anyway, he's a bit dinky to strap a big saddle or blanket on anyway, anyway.. I'm pluckin the 'ol dennil floss Even if you think its silly folks I dont care if you think its silly folks, I dont care if you think its silly folks Yippy-ty-o-ty-AY!!!!! Franks still makes me smile...

Scott Benson

www.syborgstudios.com

imo, 'the grand wazoo' is the best composition ever written (i named my first band in its honour, only to find out that there was one around in melbourne already) as for songs, i'll nominate "charleena" from joe's garage cheers, max newcastle

[quote]Originally posted by max: [b]as for songs, i'll nominate "charleena" from joe's garage[/b][/quote] :confused: Huh? Joe's Garage is one of my favorite Zappa albums - I don't think remember there being a song by that name on it...are you sure you've got the album/title of the song correct? My favorite Zappa song varies...today it's the version of "Tinseltown Rebellion" off of "Does Humor Belong in Music?"...tomorrow it may be "I'm the Slime"...or maybe "Sofa No.2"...or "Broken Hearts are for Assholes"... [i]Wrist watch...Crisco...[/i] :D dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

[quote]Originally posted by max: [b]as for songs, i'll nominate "charleena" from joe's garage[/b][/quote] :confused: Huh? Joe's Garage is one of my favorite Zappa albums - I don't remember there being a song by that name on it...are you sure you've got the album/title of the song correct? My favorite Zappa song varies...today it's the version of "Tinseltown Rebellion" off of "Does Humor Belong in Music?"...tomorrow it may be "I'm the Slime"...or maybe "Sofa No.2"...or "Broken Hearts are for Assholes"... [i]Wrist watch...Crisco...[/i] :D dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Can someone come up with the name for an instrumental waltz that starts like a music box, brings in (a soprano sax) on a wonderfully altered melody, plays dim. thirds with varioues bass and resolving to twittering,squealing et al-tonic? Never could do my own research. A pleasure to be among some ardent fans, he was fabulous (rambled Nate).

magical pig wrote: "Sharlenna isnt on Joes Garage...I believe your thinking of "Lucille has messed my mind up". Honest mistake. " right you are, my mistake, in fact, i like them both p.s. nice moniker, btw cheers max newcastle, oz

FZ has been an inspiration. I can't think of anyone else who seemed to have as much fun with music on such a high level. What an amazing body of work he produced. Just listen to "Dirty Love" from Overnite Sensation then switch to "G Spot Tornado" from the Yellow Shark album. Frank was constantly learning, experimenting and expanding his ideas. He wrote some very serious music, often with a healthy dose of wit and humor. One of the master composers of our time.

Archived