Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I gigged a C2D tonight.

mate stubb

I had the opportunity to try one tonight, so I took my old Stage Classic and had a big red L setup.

The C2D surprised me. It's light years ahead of the organ in the Stage Classic, and it sounded great even in mono.

I had previously seen a lot of online videos with overdrive cranked up too far and really didn't like it. But backed off to just dirty instead of filthy and it did fine.

CV was not bad at all. I would have liked more click dialed in but I didn't have time to menu dive. The panel UI was easy to get around, with 4 drawbar sets FTW. Nice, it did everything I asked of it and I got a lot of compliments on the sound.

Moe

---

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe Bagg has been using the Nord around town for years. I don't know if this is the first or second generation here. In any case, a great solo and on the trading from Joe. :cool:

[video:youtube]

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

I sold mine as I wasn't particularly keen on the percussion and chorus. I haven't checked in the year since I sold it, but one of the biggest reasons was Nord's lack of updates. There was one update since 2012, and with having virtually no user sound editing it became annoying.

As I'm not gigging currently I'm not ready to buy an HX3 to supplement my Nord replacement, a BX3. But at the moment I'm getting far more satisfaction playing a few generation old BX3 through a 145 than I ever did through a standalone Nord C2D.

I'd dare say if I was offered the choice on gigs between a current clone on its own and an older clone with a Leslie, I'd choose the latter.

I find it stiff compared to a console for sure. Doesn't have the butter factor. But, for me it responds really well especially on repeated notes and flutters. Interested to hear the amplification setup for this gig, I gig mine through a 142 which gets me all kinds of excited. When I've had to run it through a wedge instead, the sound has all the fierceness of a damp sausage. Maybe I'm just too used to the 142...
Viscount Legend, Leslie 142, Nord Stage 3 HA88, Rhodes MK1 1977, Moog Sub 37, Dave Smith Rev2, Juno 106, DX7

I didn't particularly notice the key action. This summer I have gigged a wide variety of actions for organ - Mojo, XK1-C, C2D, and even the Stage Classic hammer action. Talk about stiff. I think I have sort of become immune at this point.

I played the C2D thru my usual EV ZLX in mono.

Moe

---

mate, what differences did you find between C2d and Mojo?

Which did you prefer?

Which was the closest to a real Hammond, if any?

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

When judging an organ, the first test for me is "does anything about it annoy me enough to intrude and take me out of the experience?"

The C2D definitely passed that test. We had a great gig with a packed attentive crowd and good acoustics, so I'm sure that helped.

I would say the Mojo is more detailed in percussion, click, and CV. Mojo doesn't tend to have a solid bottom end and the Nord had the edge there.

I can't compare leslie sims as I have gotten in the habit of playing the Mojo thru a vent. I'm going to switch back to the internal sim soon. It's had a couple of updates since I last listened to it.

C2D has the full set of drawbars which is very nice. Mojo is way more adjustable.

If I had to pick one it would be Mojo. If I could design my own, I would take a Mojo and add a second set of drawbars for at least the upper manual, and move the perc / cv controls to the right position.

Moe

---

If I could design my own, I would take a Mojo and add a second set of drawbars for at least the upper manual, and move the perc / cv controls to the right position.

just get a used Hammond XK3 and use your HX3 module and you are already there. :thu:

:nopity:

If I could design my own, I would take a Mojo and add a second set of drawbars for at least the upper manual, and move the perc / cv controls to the right position.

just get a Hammond XK3 and use your HX3 module and you are already there. :thu:

Nope. I tried that and the XK3 keyboard has the worst feel ever. Feels nothing like a real B3 console. Way to springy and stiff.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

fair enough, Mitch. I was referring to the ergonomics, not the feel of the keyboard. Most agree the Mojo is winning on that front. Admittadly, I have only played a Mojo once 2 years ago or so and for only a minute. It was an early model that belonged to Benjie Porecki. Benjie had just finished a gig and insisted I play it. I am not in the same league as you and him, so I was intimidated to say the least. It did feel nice for sure.
:nopity:

I demoed the C2D at NAMM and overall I liked it.I like the CV on it..... much better that the HX3 I had last year by the way.

I did notice that some of the percussion tones were a bit hot on slow decay. I tend to use slow decay on 3rd harmonic.... and I heard what sounded like some notes that were a little too close to the pickup magnets. I have heard this on several tonewheel Hammonds BTW.

I would take the Mojo instead of the Nord for the price difference though. Last time I looked it was close to 1500 dollars difference. For the new Mojo action.... a no brainer.

Archived