Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Working for the Weekend - Loverboy Help

JimboK

So my band is doing this song and I'm finding it much harder then I thought it would be. Specifically the pre-chorus/chorus. Found what appeared to be a great tutorial here:

The guy nails it. However, his compact playing style (he uses both thumbs on the same key) and that change to include the F# and D notes is just hard as hell. Sounds killer but I just don't know if I can muster the technique and keep it in time.

Does anyone have any "simpler" version they might want to share?

I figure many of you have been playing this for years/decades...

Thanks in advance,

Korg Kronos 2 61, Kronos 1 61, Dave Smith Mopho x4, 1954 Hammond C2, Wurlitzer 200A, Yamaha Motif 6, Casio CDP-100, Alesis Vortex Wireless, too much PA gear!

That part in the video seems backwards to me.

I used to play it the opposite way, on 2 boards. What he is playing with his right hand, I'd play with my left on the lower board (D-E-A), fingered 5-4-2 which lets you thumb hit the D octave easily.

Same concept with the other part, just a D to Dsus4, your pinky is set for the octave F#.

Live Rig: SV-1 | Sk1 | Prophet 6 | Sub37 > SM10 > SS3

So my band is doing this song and I'm finding it much harder then I thought it would be. Specifically the pre-chorus/chorus. Found what appeared to be a great tutorial here:

The guy nails it. However, his compact playing style (he uses both thumbs on the same key) and that change to include the F# and D notes is just hard as hell. Sounds killer but I just don't know if I can muster the technique and keep it in time.

Does anyone have any "simpler" version they might want to share?

I figure many of you have been playing this for years/decades...

Thanks in advance,

The player in the video plays the notes correctly, but I'm not a fan of the hands jumping around in the second part of the chorus. I used to play this with my hands overlapped, so to speak (there's less if any movement in the hands). Different strokes...

Otherwise, as clpete suggested, setting up two zones can make it easier for you.

I need to watch that...I *know* I'm playing the pre-chorus completely wrong but I've been skating by....nobody has complained but I feel dirty :D

I have issues playing the chorus, but that's because I'm singing the lower harmony part...that part is pretty syncopated so I simplify it.

The link to Bernmeister's transcription in that thread is missing. I haven't played this for a couple years, but from my recollection, the pre-chorus is:

LH: F# G# B (repeat)

RH: B C# D# (repeat)

Chorus:

LH: F# A D (several times)

RH: D E F# (several times)

LH: G A D

RH: D E G

RH top note at end of first time through does A G G F# then second time through alternates the top note between D and A every other time through the pattern....roughly....that's about the best I can explain it without writing out the music.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

The link to Bernmeister's transcription in that thread is missing.

Unfortunately, I can't edit my original post from that thread. But here's the transcription for anyone who needs it.

Cheers

P.S. Nevermind my calling it a pre-chorus. It's the chorus :)

http://i68.tinypic.com/4s0go1.png

This is one of those threads that just makes me feel thankful for those post transcriptions and other helpful info.

The Q&A on the Youtube video describes his use of the "Pro-5 BrsSRX" patch, which it turns out is #377 on the Roland SRX-07 card, which I have. I had been struggling to find the right sound for this song, so this was a big help.

The linked Youtube video also includes a link to http://jonkubis.com/ from where one can download a complete transcript of this song.

This helped me put together a more complete rendition that of the keys part for me to play with my covers band. But there are a couple of things I simplified - depending on how much other stuff is being played by other band members, I'm not convinced the audience is necessarily going to hear everything. If there are some notes on this transcription that you cannot easily hear on the original, or that don't cut thru when you play this with your band, you can probably leave out some notes.

Finally I will offer a confession that I occasionally use the multi-part "Performance" capability on my XV synth to get past my minimal keyboard skills. I'm the guy in my covers band who has a keyboard sitting in front of him because someone has to do it, and no one else in our current lineup does. I have a specific performance on my XV which is used only for this song, and on the chorus I only have to press the keys for one moving line, instead of for both of the moving lines shown above.

I only have to press the keys for one moving line

How can that work? The right hand for the D polychord and G chord are the same, D-E-A-D E-A-D-E A-D-E-A D-E-A-E

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I play the lower line. Only the two F# keys need a different treatment (+8 half steps for the two F# keys, +7 half steps for the G-F keys in between). On a Roland XV this was easy for me to set up, and I suspect it would also be easy to set up on a Fantom or newer Roland successor products. There are probably other products out there that make it easy to set up such custom splits, but I know my Nord Electro cannot.

I'm not convinced the audience is necessarily going to hear everything.

I'd add, "or care at all what you are playing, unless it is horribly out of key or time". And maybe not even then.

That's why I usually don't agonize over parts unless they are extremely central to the song. The only person who cares at all what you play is that keys player from a rival band hanging on the side of the stage. Everyone else is drunk and/or dancing or trying to get laid. Now lead guitar, different animal there....

I do spend quite a bit more time on vocals and I wish our band would occasionally have a vocal-only rehearsal to work out who is doing what. I submit that your average cover band listener won't know an organ sound from a synth but they can hear bad vocals :)

All this blather aside, this is a timely thread as I need to improve both what I'm playing (somewhat) and the sound I'm using...Anyone play this on a pc3 and have tips? I have a custom patch adapted from a stock one but I'm really not happy with it.

I only have to press the keys for one moving line

How can that work? The right hand for the D polychord and G chord are the same, D-E-A-D E-A-D-E A-D-E-A D-E-A-E

Ooh. Spooky. Kinda like "I buried Paul."

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I was talking to the keyboard player in an 80's cover band a couple of months ago. He said he e-mailed Doug Johnson of Loverboy and Doug sent him a transcription of the part. I play this song in one of my bands and do it very close to BernMeister's transcription.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I remember that chart Bernmeister provided, spot-on as usual. :2thu: I wanted to do it as accurately as possible, because I think it's a creative...dare I say sophisticated....part that is fun to play. Nice to hear that in a pop song. Doug Johnson is a very talented, underrated keyboard player, IMHO.

I also recommend using a keyboard split to separate RH/LH....otherwise my fingers often became a tangled mess.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I'm having a senior moment. I played this song in two bands when it was popular - in 2 different keys, but that's another story. I distinctly remember a weird solo staccato keyboard intro of descending thirds. Problem is, none of the YouTube vids I can find including the OP, feature this. Have I finally lost it, or does someone else remember this too? Maybe album cut vs airplay version?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I distinctly remember a weird solo staccato keyboard intro of descending thirds. Problem is, none of the YouTube vids I can find including the OP, feature this. Have I finally lost it, or does someone else remember this too? Maybe album cut vs airplay version?

Not thinking of the weird solo non staccato keyboard intro of ascending gliss forths on "Turn me Loose" perhaps?

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tthd7LJPfmE

Moe

---

Not thinking of the weird solo non staccato keyboard intro of ascending gliss forths on "Turn me Loose" perhaps?

Nope. This started with the drummer clacking out quarter notes with his sticks and the keyboard playing very rigid straight eights a third apart: one and two and three and four and. I must be confusing it with another song from the same period.

-Mark Twain

We combine the outro of Too Much Time on My Hands into this. It's not the smoothest transition you can imagine--tempos aren't quite the same, though at least the keys are the same--and we need to work on it a tad but we end up getting there :)

Nope. This started with the drummer clacking out quarter notes with his sticks and the keyboard playing very rigid straight eights a third apart: one and two and three and four and. I must be confusing it with another song from the same period.

Are you thinking of "It's Your Life"?

[video:youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xBWCFzG8FI

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4; IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Roland Integra-7; Wurlitzer 200A

Harmonizer. That's cool! Any chance you know if the FA-08 can do that??? :)

Wastrel: Take Me To The Top?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Are you thinking of "It's Your Life"?

[video:youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xBWCFzG8FI

That's it! Thank you very much. That was driving me nuts.

At least I got the band right.

p.s. Where else in the world would you find an answer to a question like that? This place rocks!

-Mark Twain

here's the transcription for anyone who needs it.

Cheers

beautifully done as always :2thu:

Yes! Now I can ask my band to do this one. I don't know how you guys are able to pick out and learn the keys on many cover songs, I find it tedious and near impossible. But sheets like this just make my day!! Anybody know where there's a wealth of keyboard transcriptions like this?

...Any chance you know if the FA-08 can do that???...

I looked at the FA-06/08 reference manual, and chapter 4 describes editing a "Studio Set", which can have up to 16 parts, each of which can have a different patch, low point, and high point. I am guessing that a Roland FA "Studio Set" can do everything that a (older gear) Roland XV "Performance" can do, and that that under the "Pitch" tab there is a way to specify a separate transposition amount for each part within a Studio Set.

I don't know how you guys are able to pick out and learn the keys on many cover songs, I find it tedious and near impossible. But sheets like this just make my day!! Anybody know where there's a wealth of keyboard transcriptions like this?

I remember the thread where that chart first appeared. Seems no one was able to quite nail it except Bernmeister. He has been very generous with transcriptions of difficult parts over the years, and I have been a supporter of his business. As has been said before, and I wholeheartedly concur, the man has a golden set of ears.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I'm having a senior moment. I played this song in two bands when it was popular - in 2 different keys, but that's another story. I distinctly remember a weird solo staccato keyboard intro of descending thirds. Problem is, none of the YouTube vids I can find including the OP, feature this. Have I finally lost it, or does someone else remember this too? Maybe album cut vs airplay version?

I'm wondering if you are thinking of this (non-Loverboy) tune:

[video:youtube]

- George Bernard Shaw

Wineandkeys nailed it. It was another Loverboy tune: "It's Your Life" which I played in the same band. So I haven't completely lost it. It's around here somewhere...

In my defense, it WAS over 30 years ago...

-Mark Twain