Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ARW - Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman

Dave Bryce

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's cool! I have two questions. Did Wakeman ever work with Rabin? I don't know if Union counts since Yes and ABWH were separate tracks (right?) and I don't know what they all played on stage.

Second, I wonder who will play bass. My guess would be Tony Levin, of course...

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I wonder who will play bass. My guess would be Tony Levin, of course...

That would probably not suck even one tiny bit. :)

dB

It would not ;) I know when this project was first mooted a few years back Wakeman said that drums and bass would be ex-Yes members. Bill Bruford denied any involvement though :(

My money would normally be on Nick Beggs or Billy Sherwood for bass, but Nick is still in Steven Wilson's band, and has his own project The Mute Gods going on (not that that's stopped him before!) and Billy Sherwood is otherwise engaged, as we all know. Lee Pomeroy (Steve Hackett) perhaps?

Agreed :) Nick Beggs would be another great choice, maybe along with Marco Minneman.

I can't see Marco being involved TBH, he doesn't really like being a session player. Rabin's worked with Vinnie Colaiuta before though, and that would also not suck! :)

Cephid - Progressive Electro Rock

When I watched the oft-maligned Union Tour DVD, it looked like Wakeman and Rabin had a good rapport on-stage. And Anderson & Wakeman did a two-man tour a couple of years ago.

Interesting. I believe during the ABWH tour, it was Jeff Berlin on bass, while in the studio, it was Tony Levin.

On drums, I'd love to see Bruford come out of retirement, but can't see that happening...he's not a fan of nostalgia. VC would work, but I think he might be tied up in the Sting / Gabriel tour at present.

Of course, Gavin Harrison is great on drums, from the UK, and might be available, with Porcupine Tree being on hiatus.

Personally, I would love to see Gary Husband on drums. He would bring a different energy.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I believe during the ABWH tour, it was Jeff Berlin on bass, while in the studio, it was Tony Levin.

Levin did some of the tour, too. He was with them when I saw them in Massachusetts...but then again, he's from there.

It was completely awesome to watch Levin play with them, especially Close To The Edge.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I believe during the ABWH tour, it was Jeff Berlin on bass, while in the studio, it was Tony Levin.

Levin did some of the tour, too. He was with them when I saw them in Massachusetts...but then again, he's from there.

It was completely awesome to watch Levin play with them, especially Close To The Edge.

dB

Levin was the bassist that was was hired to do the AWBH tour, but Berlin was brought in as an emergency fill in when Levin fell ill. I too saw them with Levin at the Old Orchard Beach, Maine tour stop.

I have previous interviews in which Wakeman discussed his affection for Rabin's playing and wanted to try some of the older Yes material with Rabin's take on what he would have played had he been there to record the material orginally.

This plan has been suggested before, so I hope we do see make the light of day.

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

Did Wakeman ever work with Rabin?

They played together during the Union Tour, and I remember reading in Wakeman interviews that he got on very well with Rabin. I think they have been kicking this idea around for two decades. If it comes to pass, I will not miss it.

I remember thinking that AWBH was the newest / freshest sounding thing to come from any of the Yes family since 90125. I attribute a lot of that to Bruford's influence, because he had really evolved beyond Yes. All other Yes since that album has not moved me very much. If ARW happens, I'll be pumped. If Bruford & Levin were to get on board, I'd likely have to change my underwear. :laugh:

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

They played together during the Union Tour, and I remember reading in Wakeman interviews that he got on very well with Rabin. I think they have been kicking this idea around for two decades. If it comes to pass, I will not miss it.

Yeah, although Rabin and Howe didn't get along very well. You could see the tension on the Union DVD, although all the other members were enjoying the show.

Yeah, although Rabin and Howe didn't get along very well. You could see the tension on the Union DVD, although all the other members were enjoying the show.

Saw the Union tour in Buffalo. From what I heard, Howe didn't get along with anyone during that tour.

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

Ah, nostalgia freaks you all are. :)

The whole Howe Rabin thing was probably not all great through the Union days and somewhat after, but I think nowadays Howe is okay playing OOALH nowadays on stage without issue. Howe also backed up Rabin in the one off tribute to Trevor Horn without seeming issues.

Gavin Harrison is also with King Crimson these days so there's even less availability for a project like this.

That said it'll be interesting how this plays out. Rabin and Wakeman seemed to have wanted to do more together since the Union tour.

If Tony's not available, I'll volunteer. :-)

I saw the Union tour, and they did play together; unlike on the two unfinished albums from two projects that were merged into a lovely but uneven production (I changed track order to separate them as two EP's; it improves the listening experience markedly).

That's interesting that Wakeman and Rabin connected during the Union tour. Since they hadn't worked in the studio together due to how that project came together, I can see why he has an itch.

Also, I think Rabin has primarily been doing movie soundtracks and game music for many years now, so he'll probably be very fresh and not burnt-out for a rock project. Could be interesting.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Oh, Dave, we must have been at the same concert! It was right before I moved from Boston to San Francisco. I think I was about mid-way to 2/3 of the way back, stage left (our right).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I wonder who will play bass. My guess would be Tony Levin, of course...

That would probably not suck even one tiny bit. :)

dB

Oh my! Now that I would pay to see!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

So a few things. I follow of of them on various social media, and they have been very upfront once Rabin leaked it that it was happening.

The plan is this:

New music, not a nostalgia journey, not Yes 2.0 (really there have been so many versions of Yes, 2.0 would be "Fragile")

Chris Squire's passing was the kick in the butt to finally get this project going as they've talked about it for many years.

They do plan to tour.

This part I find interesting because Wakeman had to cancel some shows last year with some health issues, and doesn't really "tour" except short stints in the UK and occasional one offs in other places.

For Anderson's part he also plans on another tour with Anderson Ponty Band. He is 70 and had health problems before too, so I hope they don't push it too much!

Wakeman and Rabin got on extremely well on the Union tour.

Rabin tells a funny story about Steve Howe and Wakeman

Rick Wakeman and I, it was our first tour together and we really, really enjoyed playing together. And most of the tour was in the round, so Steve was on the other side of the stage to me. Probably a good idea. [laughs]

But, yeah, I didnt notice it at the time, but then, you know, we started doing funny things, because it was really a fun tour. Rick is a really funny guy and I remember, in Seen All Good Peopleyou remember the song, Seen All Good People? [joking]

Well, the beginning was a kind of acoustic rhythm part, right? And, obviously, before the Union Tour, its parts I would play and, when we got to do the Union Tour, it was, well, you know, certain things you do that, Im not. But I had nothing to do. So I started kind of doing when Steve was doing that rhythm part, I started doing kind of For those about to rock. You know, the [hums the guitar riff], you know that part? The AC/DC song? I started doing it just for fun. And I got this look from Steve of absolute horror. Like, What are you doing???!! kind of thing. And I looked at Rickit all happened in two seconds and Rick burst out laughing. And because Steve looked with horror, I thought, well, Im going to do it every night. As a joke.

And then the manager came to methere were two managers, but basically the 90125 manager and the guy that used to manage the band who managed Steve pretty muchall the Asia guys, Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe, whatever. And he came to me and he said, Look, can you please stop doing that? Really, Steve hates it. And I thought, why doesnt he just talk to me? I said, Okay. And I stopped doing it. And almost every night, Rick would come up to me during the beginning of that song and play maracas, and stand behind me and start telling me jokes. And I kept saying, Stop doing this because Im starting to laugh and Ive got to sing. For fucks sake, stop it. [laughs]

But he was just such a funny guy, a joke a minute. And on that tape, you can actually see him come up to meI think its the San Francisco show

you can actually see, on Seen All Good People Rick coming up to me and whispering in my ear. And what hes doing is hes saying, Come on, do it, do it. The AC/DC thing. Go on, do it, do it. He wanted to annoy and tease Steve. But yeah, nothing ever bothered me on the tours as far as personalities. Im pretty thick-skinned, so I really didnt care. But, clearly I got on great with Bill and got on great with, fantastically, with Rick. As far as the new guys, obviously all the other guys I was friendly with.

In fact, in an odd quirk of history, there was talk of Wakeman being part of 90125, but Squire was afraid Rabin and Wakeman were both too headstrong to get along. Imagine how different 90125 might have been!!!!

Short Rabin interview on soundcloud

Rabin did guest on Wakeman's "Return to theCentre of the Earth" album with the song "Never is a Long Long Time"

[video:youtube]

I saw both the ABWH and Union tours. Both were awesome! When I saw ABWH Levin was with them.

The news of this has me revisiting Rabin era Yes and particularly Union.

Sadly with that album it is hard to know how much of Wakeman we are hearing, because I think alot of it was Midi and sounds changed and edits done without Wakeman's knowledge. Also Steve Porcaro was brought in.

For Howe, Jimmy Haun was brought in to re-play his parts.

Jimmy Haun interview

Jon Elias interview...maybe take with a grain of salt

I think it is worth noting that Wakeman and Rabin didn't really work together until the Union tour, and there they became good friends.

I have heard nothing on who the bassist and drummer might be.

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

I am so in for this. I'd even be willing to go to Atlanta if that's the closest they get to Savannah.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

That's a great story. Howe always struck me as taking himself too seriously. For example, so many of his solo albums are B-O-R-I-N-G as they seem primarily designed to let us know which parts of the Yes songs he wrote. :-)

Archived