Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Yamaha Montage has finally arrived!

zauberklang

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regardless of the "alien technology," big knob, and FM-X, you can be sure all the R&B/hip-hop guys will be playing the piano and Rhodes sounds when the Montage hits GC.

:snax:

I can't tell if you're complimenting the sounds or dissing the musos...

Either way, you're probably right. I know it'll probably be the first thing I do when I get my hands on one. :idk:

The question that's been keeping me awake lately is: " How authentic is the 'Jump' patch ? "

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

The question that's been keeping me awake lately is: " How authentic is the 'Jump' patch ? "

Yeah i wondered that too,.....probably the annoying delay en wet soaking reverb will hide the not so authentic synth brass samples.

Listen to Korg Kronos2 (famous song list) and you will hear what i mean.....not good enough Korg !

We demand a proper OBX-A ''jump'' patch.

:whistle:

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/synthe-numerique/yamaha/montage-76/

"MIDI / CV"

"CV", as in "Control Voltage"?

Well, since this thread is about speculation....

Is it possible that the leaked photo is not a Motif XF replacement, but is a MOX replacement? Sort of interesting that the feature list does not include some things the Motif has had for years- ethernet, alternate outputs, multiple pedal inputs, sampling, options for firewire interface, etc.

We certainly have been teased.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

And will the screen scroll a tab for it?

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/synthe-numerique/yamaha/montage-76/

"MIDI / CV"

"CV", as in "Control Voltage"?

Well, since this thread is about speculation....

Is it possible that the leaked photo is not a Motif XF replacement, but is a MOX replacement?

I presume you meant a MOXF replacement.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the Motif/MO timeline...

Motif (Classic) 8/2001 (after Summer NAMM)

Motif ES 7/2003 (Summer NAMM)

MO 11/2005

Motif XS 1/2007 (Winter NAMM)

MOX 5/2011

Motif XF 8/2010 (after Summer NAMM)

MOXF 9/2013

...so typically a MO version was released two or more years after the Motif it's based on. It would therefore be surprising of the MOXF got replaced before the Motif XF, unless (here's some wild conjecture :) ) the two lines are being merged into one. That would certainly be a type of "montage".

Sort of interesting that the feature list does not include some things the Motif has had for years- ethernet, alternate outputs, multiple pedal inputs, sampling, options for firewire interface, etc.

What we've seen so far hasn't been detailed, so there's lots to wonder about. USB3 would be a nice feature, for example.

We certainly have been teased.

Indeed. :snax:

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

Not sure if that is serious or a joke. However this IS a traditional weakness for Yamaha. Roland kicks Yamaha's ass in producing faux heavy analog brass.

Part of the reason why it has always been good to pair Yamaha and Roland gear due to offsetting strengths and weaknesses. The D-50 rocked the beegeebees out of Jump.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Regardless of the "alien technology," big knob, and FM-X, you can be sure all the R&B/hip-hop guys will be playing the piano and Rhodes sounds when the Montage hits GC.

:snax:

I can't tell if you're complimenting the sounds or dissing the musos...

Neither. Fact is, every time you walk into GC, there's a dude playing AP or EP on a Motif.

Posted on Motifator:

An amazingly sophisticated pure synthesizer engine capable of producing classic 80s or cutting-edge EDM sound with incredible dynamic range, power and fidelity. MONTAGE features an 8-operator FM architecture and 128-note polyphony, allowing for a massive array of sound design options.

Powered by proprietary Yamaha technology for data compression and sound playback, AWM2 allows tremendous data compression without sound quality loss for unparalleled, realistic sound reproduction.

128-Note, Stereo polyphony

Experience rich stereo sound without halving the available number of notes.

Waveform Capacity

MONTAGE features nearly 10 times the waveform capacity of the MOTIF XF, allowing more samples per instrument for incredibly realistic and nuanced sound.

Integrated Flash Memory

MONTAGE includes 1.75 GB of user flash memory with high speed reading/writing for your own custom samples or synth libraries from yamahasynth.com.

Connect MONTAGE to your computer with a single USB cable and capture every nuance of your creativity into your DAW. MONTAGEs powerful USB driver can send 16 and receive 3 channels of STEREO 24 bit/44.1 kHz digital audio to/from your computer or iOS device (MONTAGE is class compliant, no driver needed!), no other hardware required!

The USB connection also features full MIDI support of 16 channels.

* MONTAGE supports the sampling rate up to 192 kHz.

The Envelope Follower converts audio into a control source for control of virtually any synthesizer parameter. For example, a drum loop could drive effects parameters for a cool rhythms or a vocal recording could control multiple parameters for a talking synthesizer. The audio can even be a live source through the A/D input.

Motion Control Synthesis Engine unifies and controls two iconic Sound Engines: AWM2 (high-quality waveform and subtractive synthesis) and FM-X (modern, pure Frequency Modulation synthesis.) These two engines can be freely zoned or layered across eight parts in a single MONTAGE Performance.

Interact with MONTAGE Performances using Motion Control: a highly programmable control matrix for creating deep, dynamic and incredibly expressive sound. With Motion Control, you can create new sounds not possible on previous hardware synthesizers.

1. Sophisticated Dynamic Control

Music is expression. MONTAGE adds a new level of expression with the Motion Control Synthesis Engine. This engine allows a variety of methods to interact with and channel your creativity into finding your own unique sound.

- Super Knob

Create dynamic sound changes from radical to sublime with the Super Knob. The Super Knob can control multiple parameters simultaneously resulting in anything you can imagine.

For example: change your listening position from right in front of an instrument to in the back seat of a concert hall. Or radically change the character of a Performance from atmospheric and mellow to rhythmic and edgy.

The Super Knob can even be assigned to a second FC7 foot controller making it easy to manipulate the sound when playing with both hands.

- Motion SEQ

Motion Sequences are tempo-synchronized, completely customizable control sequences that can be assigned to virtually any synthesizer parameter and provide incredible creative new ways of programming sound.

Motion Sequences also have dedicated controls on the front panel making it easy to manipulate and change in real-time, providing incredible interactivity and expression.

- Envelope Follower

Enlarge

The Envelope Follower converts audio into a control source for control of virtually any synthesizer parameter. For example, a drum loop could drive effects parameters for a cool rhythms or a vocal recording could control multiple parameters for a talking synthesizer. The audio can even be a live source through the A/D input.

2. Massive Sound Creation

MONTAGE features two Iconic Sound Engines modernized for amazing sound playback and complex sound design.

- AWM2

Powered by proprietary Yamaha technology for data compression and sound playback, AWM2 allows tremendous data compression without sound quality loss for unparalleled, realistic sound reproduction.

128-Note, Stereo polyphony

Experience rich stereo sound without halving the available number of notes.

Waveform Capacity

MONTAGE features nearly 10 times the waveform capacity of the MOTIF XF, allowing more samples per instrument for incredibly realistic and nuanced sound.

Integrated Flash Memory

MONTAGE includes 1.75 GB of user flash memory with high speed reading/writing for your own custom samples or synth libraries from yamahasynth.com.

- FM-X

An amazingly sophisticated pure synthesizer engine capable of producing classic 80s or cutting-edge EDM sound with incredible dynamic range, power and fidelity. MONTAGE features an 8-operator FM architecture and 128-note polyphony, allowing for a massive array of sound design options.

- Content

Every instrument needs great content to inspire your creativity. MONTAGE features a huge range of incredible sounds like a brand-new Yamaha CFX Premium Grand Piano, detailed new strings and woodwinds and select content from the DX and TX family, all modernized to take advantage of the Motion Control Synthesis Engine.

Compatibility

MONTAGE is directly compatible with Motif XF Voices. Yamaha is developing an FM converter to make it compatible with DX7 series Voices as well.

Bösendorfer Piano

As part of the MONTAGE introduction, Yamaha is pleased to offer an incredible Bösendorfer Imperial Premium Grand Piano.

- Effects

From high definition reverbs to incredibly detailed Virtual Circuit Modeling (VCM) effects, MONTAGE is loaded with DSP innovation, power and, most importantly, sound quality. Use effects like Beat Repeat, Vinyl Break or Bit Crusher to get a modern EDM sound. You can even add a compressor with sidechain for a modern ducking effect. Or go retro with vintage effects like Analog Delay, VCM Phaser or a variety of Amp Simulators. Piano players will appreciate piano-focused effects like Damper Resonance for a super-realistic piano experience and the HD reverbs that let you put yourself in any performance space.

- Pure Analog Circuit

MONTAGE features professional balanced outputs with Pure Analog Circuit (PAC). PAC improves the quality of signal after being converted to analog from digital for clear harmonic reproduction and even frequency response. The result is an output capable of reproducing MONTAGEs internal content expressively with power and clarity.

3. Streamlined Workflow

How do you want to integrate your instrument with your system? How do you want to organize the onboard content? How do you want to interact with the instrument while you play? MONTAGE answers these questions and more with a flexible, streamlined workflow.

- USB Audio/MIDI Connection

Connect MONTAGE to your computer with a single USB cable and capture every nuance of your creativity into your DAW. MONTAGEs powerful USB driver can send 16 and receive 3 channels of STEREO 24 bit/44.1 kHz digital audio to/from your computer or iOS device (MONTAGE is class compliant, no driver needed!), no other hardware required!

* MONTAGE supports the sampling rate up to 192 kHz.

- SSS (Seamless Sound Switching)

Seamless Sound Switching (SSS) lets you change performances seamlessly without any cut-off in envelope or effects. This is perfect for live performances where you end one song and start another without stopping.

* This function is only available for Performances that have a maximum of 8 parts.

- A/D Input

The A/D input processes external audio sources with your instruments DSP. Use mics, guitars or any line source as an input and process with the internal effects.

You can even use these sources with the Envelope Follower or Sidechain for a truly unique sound.

- Physical Control

Eight Rotary Encoders and Faders with Stepladder LED

MONTAGE features a comprehensive set of physical controls for intuitive music making and sound creation.

Touch Screen

Select and change parameters directly with the new color touch screen.

Eight Rotary Encoders and Faders with Stepladder LED

Stepladder LEDs next to the faders indicate position making it easy to see where your current mix position is.

Keyboard Action

MONTAGE is available in three different configurations:

MONTAGE6 and 7 feature the premium FSX semi-weighted synthesizer action with aftertouch in 61 and 76 keys respectively.

MONTAGE8 features an 88 key, fully-weighted Balanced Hammer action with aftertouch. This provides equal resistance for each key across the keyboard and is perfect for playing a variety of instruments from acoustic piano to electric piano, synth sounds, organ and more!

- LIVE SET

Live Set lets you organize your Performances however you want without copying, changing order or renaming. When a Performance is selected, you can easily register it to a Live Set. This is perfect for playing gigs or even creating your own organization scheme for Performances.

- Direct Control Assignment

Direct Control Assignment assigns controls at the touch of a button. Simply select a parameter, hit the Direct Control Assignment button and move the controller to control that parameter. Its easy!

- Cubase AI bundle

MONTAGE is bundled with Cubase AI, Steinbergs professional music production application that offers integrated recording and editing.

http://i.imgur.com/SRdIYUa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/C68iHor.jpg

The fit and finish looks top notch! I'm sure there will be quibbling with certain hardware and functional placement details, but it looks like Yamaha has placed a lot of focus to step up their UI and workflow in the Montage design (and the touch screen graphic interface looks very inviting). :2thu:

MONTAGE features an 8-operator FM architecture

mama mia...

Bösendorfer Piano

As part of the MONTAGE introduction, Yamaha is pleased to offer an incredible Bösendorfer Imperial Premium Grand Piano.

Other than the CP1, I have never connected with Yamaha DP's, so this just became a lot more interesting.

- USB Audio/MIDI Connection

Why this isn't standard on every modern keyboard mystifies me...

All in all, it seems like a well though-out design.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

:thu: Looks fantastic. Thanks, Dana ! Think I'm starting to get what Yamaha has done here.

If the Montage 88's weight is at least closer to 50 lb (as opposed to the Motif XF8, at 64 lb), this instrument could create an immediate shift in my rig. Practical GAS has hit, and I've recently started to replace gear that just doesn't work for me; the idea being a slightly smaller stable of gear I enjoy playing, and don't have to fight with.

In addition to the significant improvements and additions, the Live Set appearance of a CFX Piano, plus new Bosendorfer sample is intriguing. Smooth, velocity-balanced pianos are essential for me, and if Yamaha pulls off their usual playability combined with the greatly expanded memory, I'm likely in.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

No sequencer!? So this isn't really a Motif... more of a JP80

The Montage is looking more and more like a performance synth, and less like a fully self-contained workstation. However, there's the Steinberg-Yamaha connection - Cubase.

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

Beautiful looking synth. I can't remember the last Yamaha keyboard I thought was really good looking. They seem to be emphasizing that it's 128 stereo polyphony. Wondering if there's lots of new stereo samples (the next frontier for digital hardware synths).

Wonder where they got the idea of Live Set mode?

Good specs.

Busch.

I really like the looks of this!

I am glad to see they keep one thing I love about my MOXF:

I use my MOXF as my audio interface for Mainstage in my live rig.

It makes life very simple when I bring the MacBook to a gig.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Yamaha doing what they do best. This may wipe out my GAS for a used EX5.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Beautiful looking synth. I can't remember the last Yamaha keyboard I thought was really good looking. They seem to be emphasizing that it's 128 stereo polyphony. Wondering if there's lots of new stereo samples (the next frontier for digital hardware synths).

Good specs.

Busch.

My read is 256 note polyphony total between the two engines: 128-stereo note AWM2 plus 128-note FM-X. Maybe wishful thinking????

This just earned you a slap at gearfest, Al. :P

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Good specs.

Busch.

I wonder if hauling around a laptop with the Montage is going to be a 'must have' requirement

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

This just earned you a slap at gearfest, Al. :P

lets be fair, if your flagship synth can't "do Jump" proper, it just isn't a flagship!

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

It also looks like the Motif arps/patterns (along with sequencing) are missing in the Montage spec (still full spec TBD). The focus is a differentiated powerhouse synth with a HQ sample-based set + 8-operator advanced FM and lots of real-time sound control/UI.

Good. I never liked the trickle-down from Tyros approach. If you want an arranger, buy one, but the audiences are very different for these keyboards and I think they were putting features in their pro-boards a lot of users never requested nor used.

Busch.

It also looks like the Motif arps/patterns (along with sequencing) are missing in the Montage spec (still full spec TBD). The focus is a differentiated powerhouse synth with a HQ sample-based set + 8-operator advanced FM and lots of real-time sound control/UI.

Dont worry... It will have everything the Motif XF had, and then some more... Full backward compatibillity is a must so all pro musicians that rely on their setups on stage can easilly upgrade...

I also dont believe in accidently leaked... These 2 instances have been carefully planned, giving just enough information to get people hyped before Namm... Top knotch marketing i would say...

I think arps and pattern mode will be shown early next week.. In cluding some leaked youtube movie...

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

My read is 256 note polyphony total between the two engines: 128-stereo note AWM2 plus 128-note FM-X. Maybe wishful thinking????

That's how I read it as well.

Also, the one person the Internet who correctly predicted AWM2 + FM also said the new piano is 10 layers. Big jump from the 3-4 layer pianos in the Motifs. Let's hope the ROM has a lot of new sounds (I think the Motif sounds are well traveled) and not just one big piano.

Busch.

Archived