Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pop/lounge song suggestions for keyboard+female vocal?

jeffw_00

So after a long hiatus, my wife and I are trying to get into our music again, working by ourselves and going to open-mic nights. We're trying to come up with a list of crowd-familiar pop songs that sound reasonable with -only- keyboard + female vocal, and are appropriate for an open-mic/lounge environment. [and yes, the crowds are generally in their 40s/50s - like us? :-}]

For the gigs I have a lightweight 76-key keyboard MIDIed to a PC2R in mono mode.

We're not finding a lot of songs that work without a guitar. Ones that have worked for us so far include "Just the Way You Are","Will you love me tomorrow", & "If I Fell".

If you have any suggestions we'd love to hear them - thanks!

/j

PS - I know I'm late to the party, but around the time SM shut down I got distracted by life. It's great to find this forum - many familiar names here :-}

K2500X, SP-6, various K1xxx, Kurz MicroPiano

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"King of Pain" would work, check out Alanis Morissette's version. You could make it work with just piano.

[video:youtube]

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

My wife and I got into doing the open mic thing over the past couple years at a friend's bar. Off the top of my head, some of the tunes we've run using just keys and vocals include:

Only the Lonely - The Motels

Big White Gate - Grace Potter

Journey tunes (Faithfully, Open Arms, I'll Be Alright Without You...)

Is It Over Yet? - Wynonna

I Won't Hold You Back - Toto

Crazy - Patsy Cline

At Last - Etta James

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

We have even did this as a piano and vocal piece. You can do a pretty wide span of material. This was fun. I probably over play it. It is in F# and lends itself to going fullbore Romantic and channel your inner Liszt. I arpeggio like a mother hubbard on the bridge.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Carole King

Roberta Flack

Fleetwood Mac

Linda Ronstadt

Shawn Colvin

K D Lang

Bonnie Raitt

Adele

Natalie Cole

Fiona Apple

Norah Jones

Billie Holiday

And about a hundred more

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

CEB - we lean towards 60s/70s/80s, but have no problem checking out newer stuff, we will also check out wineandkeyz selections - thanks!

I wasn't sure. I'm playing very current Pop music. I'm now conditioned to the thinking if it isn't current then it isn't Pop. But frankly in general it is my opinion that wrinting is not as strong as it used to be. In the 60s Rock bands like the Grass Roots understood the elements composition. There was a lot of strong writing in the 70s also. Somewhere in the late 80s that seemed to have gotten lost to some degree.

My Top 40 Country band did You and I by Lady Gaga as a piano feature.

Never Grow Up by Taylor Swift was a tear jerker.

Done quite a bit of Adele and Norah Jones stuff.

Time After Time from the 80s is one of my favorite songs.

My philosophy is if the lyrical story or compostional elements are strong enough or interesting you can make it work regardless of the original arrangement. You just need a really good hook.

If 60s-80s is working then I would keep running with that for sure.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Here are a few I did in a duo, from the era. They arrange out nicely with just piano:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAE9Stw2vmU

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0F14LJT9EQ

This version is a treat to watch with Ray Charles & Van Morrison on stage together.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyCAZRKXaQk

Live Rig: SV-1 | Sk1 | Prophet 6 | Sub37 > SM10 > SS3

Archived