Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Deep Purple inducted

Dana.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YES YES YES! AND CHICAGO AS WELL!

It's about time!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

You can't put in all the great bands or there will be no one to induct next year.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

YES YES YES!

Ironically, they were not inducted.

Hopefully next year...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I guess we can now say that the RR HOF is relevant..??

I wouldn't go that far...

Somewhere, Jon Lord is smiling at this long overdue recognition of Purple's body of work!

Sure, better late than never and "who cares about this disgrace of a committee", but it is kind of a shame they waited until Jon was dead to do the thing they should have done 20 years ago...idiots.

I suppose the moronic committee finally realizes that prog-rock did exist and it mattered to a lot of people.

And congrats to the very deserving Chicago. Again, 20 years late on that.

Next: Geils, Tull, and Yes....20 plus years late.

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

Just the RRHOF reacting to news of the year. Straight Outta Compton the #1 movie in the country for a month? Let's induct NWA. Nevermind that they aren't a rock act. Jon Lord passes? Let's honor him posthumously. Nevermind that it would have made better sense if he could have walked up to receive the award while alive.

True. Now that Chris Squire passed they can induct Yes... Jan Wenner's timing is perfect (idiot)...

Somewhere, Jon Lord is smiling at this long overdue recognition of Purple's body of work!

I suppose the moronic committee finally realizes that prog-rock did exist and it mattered to a lot of people.

I would argue labeling Deep Purple as Prog (although the third album was pretty Prog-like) .. Mark II is definitely "hard rock"', or even "heavy metal"... In any case, they deserve recognition.

I wonder if Blackmore will show up with his Druids?

From the "experts" at Wikipedia:

"Deep Purple are an English rock band formed in Hertford in 1968. They are considered to be among the pioneers of heavy metal and modern hard rock, although their musical approach changed over the years. Originally formed as a progressive rock band, the band shifted to a heavier sound in 1970. Deep Purple, together with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, have been referred to as the "unholy trinity of British hard rock and heavy metal in the early to mid-Seventies". They were listed in the 1975 Guinness Book of World Records as "the globe's loudest band" for a 1972 concert at London's Rainbow Theatre, and have sold over 100 million albums worldwide."

The Rollingstone ?

Isn't that magazine a total chauvinistic travesty against the fine arts of pop/rock music ?

When they exluded the band Queen from ''100 Greatest Artists of All Time: The Immortals'' they got me really disappointed and angry.....

The absence of Queen in the top 100 disqualified ''Rollingstone'' as remotely objective from a worldwide perspective on western pop/rock music.

I know you all love a good ''sweet home Alabama'' showstopper over the Atlantic (pun intended :-) ), ....this is from the band who didn't even made it top 100...

Please listen to this and tell me they don't deserve to be in the top 100 ?

[video:youtube]

Steve Miller via the Washington Post:

When you look at the people not inducted, its crazy. The Spinners were one of the greatest live acts ever to sing and play. Los Lobos are phenomenal. Chaka Khan? What is the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? Does anybody know?

Ian Paice on whether Richie will be invited to play...

IAN PAICE INTERVIEW

"As an ongoing band, we need to take into account how the present members feel about that, the guys that aren't involved in this evening. We don't have salaried guys with [keyboardist] Don [Airey] and [guitarist] Steve [Morse]. They are fully accredited members of the band and they share in everything, and into decisions as well. They will have to be consulted and see how they feel about anything that the three of us originals think we would or wouldn't like to do."

Thinking about it, Purple should just say: "F##K You, Jan Wenner! You don't invite Don Airey and Steve Morse into the hall as members of DP, we won't play!"

That's what Jon would probably say...

It's nice to see Chicago in.

For Queen part of the (unfair) reason may be because their music style goes so wide. "Another One Bites the Dust", "You're My Best Friend", and "We Will Rock You" - if you didn't already know they were by the same band, and did not recognize the lead singer's voice, would you think they are the same band? And then "Bohemian Rhapsody" really does that in one song.

So glad to hear of this great news and like so many others are saying, "Tt's about time". Too bad Jon Lord is not here to experience this well deserved honour. However, he's probably looking down with a smile on his face. RIP Jon.

Cheers

Donnie

Hammond XK3-C; Yamaha Tyros 3; Casio PX-5S; Yamaha DX7 IID; Yamaha DGX 520; Yamaha Stagepas 500 & KS50 (x2) Leslie 147(1971) Lots of other stuff

It's nice to see Chicago in.

For Queen part of the (unfair) reason may be because their music style goes so wide. "Another One Bites the Dust", "You're My Best Friend", and "We Will Rock You" - if you didn't already know they were by the same band, and did not recognize the lead singer's voice, would you think they are the same band? And then "Bohemian Rhapsody" really does that in one song.

I hear you,...but most of your arguements should apply to Simon and Garfunkel too.....anyway how can i take any list serious which puts little Richard and Chuck Berry in the top 10 of the ''100 Greatest Artists of All Time,..the immortels'' that is the criterea not the style of music per see ????

Of course their influence (CB and LR)in co starting a new page in the history of pop music was obvious.(like everything after WW2 began to change dramatically) But the music itself was simple, easy to learn and didn't take great musical skills to perform.

Again, i personally like them both very much when i was trying to learn rock/blues piano during my puberty, but to place them far and above Prince, the fully absent Queen and Deep Purple is a travesty against some of the musical geniuses of our century.....

I know taste is very personal, but some things need a little bit perspective and placing Little Richard as number 8 of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time: The Immortals.....is an injustice towards the real musical elite.

Thinking about it, Purple should just say: "F##K You, Jan Wenner! You don't invite Don Airey and Steve Morse into the hall as members of DP, we won't play!"

That's what Jon would probably say...

Tommy Bolin should have been included, as well!

Great Lord solo at 4:30

And for those who doubt Blackmore's talent, Check out his run at 7:44.

[video:youtube]

Archived