Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommend a laptop

kwyn

Budget $1500-$1900

NO DELL. After spending huge $$ on Alienware in the past, Dell's crappy customer service, proprietary power supply issues, and lack of any care on their part about their customers after they have your money, I've had it with them /end Dell Rant

So I plan on running Cantabile. Within that, Kontakt (within that STUDIO DRUMMER, Galaxy Vintage D piano, prob Scarbee Bass, Scarbee A200/Rhodes, and VB3.

There may be times that all of those are running at the same time. I'm looking for low latency (obviously), no pops with a small sample size (64 or less).

I don't care about the graphics card so much unless it's really taking a huge load of the processor, but I doubt what I'm talking about running is going to need a crazy video card.

I'm thinking a minimum 16 gigs of ram, and probably nothing less than an i74900 mq but if that's overkill, I'm all ears.

May even be willing to purchase external USB audio interface if it will help.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To run Windows, I like the Lenovos.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/?menu-id=laptops

I use the W series as a desktop replacement. It's powerful and portable, but the power supply is huge. There are lots of options from them though. Construction is pretty sturdy and they're hard to beat for price/performance.

Alternatively, a MacBook Pro running Windows and/or Mac OSX gives you a lot of options.

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro

Obviously, just over your budget, but don't buy your RAM from Apple.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Macbook Pro

Thanks. I forgot to add that I like VB3 64 bit. And I'll probably get vb3 II as plug in in addition to the DMC dsp card. But, as seen in the other thread, VB3 II probably will only be on Windows.

Suggest you look at Hewlett Packard. Not the home user Pavilion models, but the business models. Well built, many rugged models, no junkware. I buy them from HP's Refurbished site - these are almost new machines. When HP sends out a new business computer, if it fails in the first month, they just send another computer and a FedEx label to return the original. Then they fix any problems, reinstall factory software, and sell as refurbished. Considerably lower price, and specials below that when the model has been superseded (which happens a couple of times a year). I've bought my last 7 machines that way, and helped my clients get good deals. They might have a few scratches, but many look brand new.

Some of the notebooks are workstation quality (the Z series), the EliteBook is their highest non-workstation line, then the ProBook.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

+1 on the HP ProBooks, in my day job we switched from Dell to ProBooks about 3 years ago. We find them to be the best value for money at the moment.

But the first one and the most recent one - 6 weeks old - both had HDD's fail within warranty. Hasn't deterred us as HP use name brand drives which could have gone to any customer but a good reason to back up regularly.

Plus they are also ideal for a personality swap if you ever want to go major geek and use a fruitier OS.

Whatever brand you choose get an i7 with 16gb or more of RAM and consider swapping to an SSD.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Macbook Pro

I just got a MBP myself. Best decision I ever made. And you can get VB3 to run with a wrapper. MainStage for $30 and you can about call it a day. Even includes Alchemy now and all the libraries too. I had a Lenovo that I was running Cantabile and VB3 and the difference is night and day. Just my opinion.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Macbook Pro

I just got a MBP myself. Best decision I ever made. And you can get VB3 to run with a wrapper. MainStage for $30 and you can about call it a day. Even includes Alchemy now and all the libraries too. I had a Lenovo that I was running Cantabile and VB3 and the difference is night and day. Just my opinion.

I totally agree regarding the MacBook Pro; one thing you should be aware of if you decide to go the Apple route is that Intel is just now releasing the new Skylake processors. Apple (and everyone else using Intel chips) is expected to come out with a major upgrade to the MacBook Pro late this year or early 2016 as a result.

Saw a guy using a Getac packed with SSDs and a Xpress 34 connector to a UAD rack that worked really well.

PianoTeq, Kontakt and VB3 stuff sounded great.

Said it was military surplus he bought used for 1500.

This thing looks like an accessory kit to HumVee spec op group.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Macbook Pro

Interesting. Can you describe the night and day difference that Cantabile and VB3 showed between the MBP and the Lenovo?

I'm curious to how much different those two pieces of software can run on different OS's

Plus they are also ideal for a personality swap if you ever want to go major geek and use a fruitier OS.

What do you mean? What OS? I've always run windows... Are you referring to linux? Just guessing that since you said "major geek" :laugh:

Macbook Pro

Interesting. Can you describe the night and day difference that Cantabile and VB3 showed between the MBP and the Lenovo?

I'm curious to how much different those two pieces of software can run on different OS's

Okay, I'll try to describe the difference. I got to the point where I could operate Cantabile fairly well. I could set up my songs and if a song called for piano on my lower tier and organ on my upper tier, I could set that up fairly easy. It took me awhile to get to that comfort level. With MainStage, it is just very intuitive. Yeah there is the visual aspect looking cleaner and cooler, but there is something about MS3 that somehow makes it feel more like a real instrument more than a computer program (if that makes sense). For me it was more like I was buying a new workstation than a computer. Almost all of the VSTs I own work fine in MS3 (with the exception of OP-X Pro and a couple of others). Someone posted in a thread recently about VB3 working no problem with a wrapper called 32 lives. It's a little pricey, but I seem to remember paying almost that much for several other wrappers I bought to get my 32-bit plug-ins to work in a 64-bit environment. To sum this up, it's hard to put into words exactly why it feels like the difference between night and day between the two. If I were to make an analogy, it's like going from a KB100 amplifier you've been playing for years to the SpaceStation v3 amplifier. It's like you've been hearing mono all your life and suddenly you can hear everything, all around you. Sorry that this is so hard to find the right words ...

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I believe the Surface Pro 4 will have a 16GB configuration (vs the 8GB max on a Pro 3).

With that configuration, it may be worth serious consideration, if it fits into your budget & you can wait until October.

Live Rig: SV-1 | Sk1 | Prophet 6 | Sub37 > SM10 > SS3

What do you mean? What OS? I've always run windows... Are you referring to linux? Just guessing that since you said "major geek" :laugh:

No see here you need plenty of knowledge to successfully implement.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

13" MBP retina

But wait until September 9th when Apple rolls out updated hardware.

That's Spetember 9th 2016 that you're referring to?

KLONK

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

13" MBP retina

KLONK

New MacBooks will probably not be part of this announcement. Apple tends to focus these events, and the current focus will likely be the newest iPhone. They will also show consumers what's new in iOS and maybe OS X.

IOW, I don't expect new MacBooks to be announced on the 9th. In fact, the current line of MacBooks are unlikely to get anything besides a speed bump upgrade anytime soon. That means there won't be an event when those arrive, just a press release and new info on the Apple web site. Anyone interested in getting a new MacBook probably should just get the best deal they can now (always check the refurbished models and educational discounts if you're eligible).

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

From looking around, it still appears that much more powerful PCs are available at lower prices than MBPs anyway.

I know it's been that way for some time now, and having a lot of windows experience, as polished as OSX is, money, VB3 II, point me towards windows (just NOT DELL).

Off topic, but please don't support DELL and their crappy proprietary power supplies/ mobo power jack, and crappy soldering, which break, become unrecognizable and thus cause your otherwise powerful PC to throttle! And then charge ridiculous amounts of money to replace their cheaply made parts. They don't care how much you spent (Fully loaded AW14 here) once their one year obligation is up. You're lucky if someone will even talk to you at that point. And the company line is "I'm sorry, but your warranty is up." That's why I'm on here willing to give my next $1900 to anyone ASIDE FROM DELL!

13" MBP retina

New MacBooks will probably not be part of this announcement. Apple tends to focus these events, and the current focus will likely be the newest iPhone. They will also show consumers what's new in iOS and maybe OS X.

IOW, I don't expect new MacBooks to be announced on the 9th. In fact, the current line of MacBooks are unlikely to get anything besides a speed bump upgrade anytime soon. That means there won't be an event when those arrive, just a press release and new info on the Apple web site. Anyone interested in getting a new MacBook probably should just get the best deal they can now (always check the refurbished models and educational discounts if you're eligible).

Yeah, I have the same take on this. Thanks.

I don't know where you are located, but is it possible you could locate someone near you that has a MBP and MS3 setup that you could hang with for a few hours and check it out yourself firsthand before you make your decision? You already seem to know PC laptops and seem to have a good understanding of what you're in for there. I am not a Mac Fan Boy but did own them back into the 80s. I've been strictly PC ever since. Apple has come a long way since the 80s. I feel like (as I said already) that I bought an "instrument" and not a laptop. I also feel I have a much more stable, user-friendly experience in front of me than I did with my Lenovo. It's your call and your money but I really encourage you to try it first.

Hardware:
Yamaha

Software:
Recording

Sorry for being late to the party, but this thread is missing the most pertinent information to the OP. For Windows laptops, not many people are aware of what really makes a laptop suitable for professional live audio.

Windows computers, across all brands and configurations, may be subject to something called DPC latency - read about it here. DPC latency is different from the regular audio-processing latency that all computers (even Macs!) will have, to a tiny extent. DPC is more of a black and white issue: either a particular laptop make and model has it, or it doesn't. And it's Windows-specific.

The bad news is there's no way of looking at the specs or the brand or even the price range to judge whether a laptop will have DPC latency or not. You just have to google the make and model with the term 'DPC'. Or download tools like this or this to check if that particular make and model has it or not.

Apart from DPC issues, Windows laptops also need a bit of tweaking to get the best performance out of them. There's a lot of other tiny hidden quirks that are mostly unknown (even on a forum filled with guys into pro audio :P ). For example, unless your laptop comes with a TI chipset, FireWire audio interface performance will be affected. I know, FW ports on laptops are very rare these days, but the example shows how obscure good info can be.

Which is why it makes sense to go with a laptop customized for pro-audio (unless you're a geek at heart!), like the one @McGoo recommends above. There are a few other companies that do this as well, like ADK Pro Audio. These machines would be ready for pro audio right out of the box - like a Mac. HTH.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

You might want to check that the VST's you plan to use are optimised for touch screen use with Win10. If you need to add a qwerty keyboard then the Surface seems to me to be an expensive laptop.

The Microsoft keyboard attaches to it, but can easily be removed to use as a tablet. HP has a similar thing for their business Windows tablet. Surfaces are expensive, but well made and available in some powerful configurations. If you are spending the %% for i7, 8G RAM, and 512G storage, the keyboard is not a large percentage of the price.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

New MacBooks will probably not be part of this announcement.

Joe - I recommended that folks wait for September 9th. I made no claim that Apple is releasing new MacBooks at this time.

Although Apple will probably wait until later this year to update the Mac line, it's certainly prudent to be aware of the September event.

Here are some rumors: KLONK, KLONK, KLONK, KLONK .

:)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived