Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tomorrow is Sunday

ashevillecabbie

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So who is laying down scores/soundtracks/background music for preachers?

In other words who is using synths (rather than organ or piano piano to back up the choir) to forge a new direction in church music accompanying talented orators?

Yes. I play a Motif XS and Kurz PC3 at church.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I play a Kurz PC2 and PC3 at church, plus using an iPad as a sound module. I do use synth patches where appropriate. Our other keyboardist handles acoustic piano patches all the time on a Kurz SP2X, so I get to play with electronic pianos, organs (both Hammond and pipe), orchestrals, bass, and synth.

I am mostly accompanying singers, choir, and praise team; rather than pastor. I still don't really have that part nailed down, although I've heard it done (great when done well).

Reminds me - back in the days when I was a musical electronics tech, I got a call early on a Sunday morning from the pastor of a large primarily black church about an hour away. The organ had died, and they really wanted it fixed that morning because they had a big event with lots of guests driving from distances that afternoon. I had done some work for them before at regular times.

So, I was willing to go, but asked the pastor how I could check it out when working on it - His response was just to lay down some praise chords while he was preaching. Worked out pretty well, better than I expected. Was definitely a different Sunday morning for me.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

In other words who is using synths (rather than organ or piano piano to back up the choir) to forge a new direction in church music accompanying talented orators?

Well, since you asked... I'm a co-director of music for our denomination's General Assembly. We just met in July (4000+ in attendance every night for 5 nights). The assembly theme was based on Isaiah 40. They wanted to do a full reading of it for opening night. I talked them into letting me drive the creative. Here's the demo I put together for what we did. It was performed by a 16 piece praise team, 100 piece choir and 9 scripture readers: http://www.bimedia.biz/biviewExt.php?id=4958

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

\Here's the demo I put together for what we did. It was performed by a 16 piece praise team, 100 piece choir and 9 scripture readers: http://www.bimedia.biz/biviewExt.php?id=4958

Wow, impressive! Was this recorded live with the readers (maybe thru the PA feed?). The quality is excellent, as is your dramatic arrangement and the other performances.

I'd love to hear it all of this. Is there a CD available?

Hammond A100 w/ 2x Leslie 122, Leslie 145 w/ combo pedal, Casio P5S, SS3, Groove Tubes SFX G5 cab + CPS/QSC RM4500 KB amp, 1955 Steinway 48" studio upright.

We don't even play piano or organs. Everything is A capella.

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

We don't even play piano or organs. Everything is A capella.

[video:youtube]

Unfortunately yes... I regret the non existence of instruments in Orthodox faith...

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I'm a certified hole-plugger, playing keys, keytar bass, auxiliary percussion, or drums (roughly, ordered by descending competency) as needed. The repertoire is pretty much the stuff you would hear on your K-Love station; personally I prefer pipe organs and hymns. :-) Currently I am playing drums in the Saturday evening service, but I am sometimes tapped for one of the three Sunday morning services.

When I play keyboards, it's usually as "second" keyboardist, with the other one on rompler piano. That frees me up to do Hammond-ish stuff, strings, synths, etc.

I used to bring a K2600 to do keyboards, with the clonewheel sounds routed through an RT-20, but due to an aging back I have moved to a PC361. Although the 2600's organ is a bit more pleasing to my ears, the PC3 is plenty good enough for the mix.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

At my Catholic church, sometimes the main keyboardist lays down a simple synth pad under the liturgic texts of the Holy Mass, when the priest chooses to sing them instead of simply reading. Other times the choir spontaneously hums the same chords instead.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

\Here's the demo I put together for what we did. It was performed by a 16 piece praise team, 100 piece choir and 9 scripture readers: http://www.bimedia.biz/biviewExt.php?id=4958

Wow, impressive! Was this recorded live with the readers (maybe thru the PA feed?). The quality is excellent, as is your dramatic arrangement and the other performances.

I'd love to hear it all of this. Is there a CD available?

Thanks, but no CD unfortunately. The only live recording I've heard is a board mix and it didn't sound good (like most board mixes!). This was simply a demo that I prepared in advance & sent out to the entire team to learn (along with detailed charts).

If anyone is interested in the backstory, my day gig had me write something about it for our company newsletter.

http://www.bimedia.biz/music-soars-at-general-assembly/

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Greg, that MP3 sounds fantastic. I shared it by email with our praise group and musicians.

Just loaded up the PC361 and auxiliary stuff to carry over to another church tonight along with our small choir for a couple of songs. I got the 49 key controller and iPad just for this kind of "two song" thing, but for the particular pieces, wasn't satisfied with the apps that I have. Rehearsals have used the PC2 and PC3 that stay at the church, so may as well use a board that immediately translates to the same sounds.

Surprised - I did manage to get everything loaded, including the card (but not all assembled in my Chevy Volt. Was easier to load in the van that I did have, but the Volt gets lots better mileage.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived