Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rocky Mountain Way

Rockitman

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You mean the electric piano playing while Joe Walsh does the talk box thing? I would guess it to be a Wurli 200.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Sounds like all wurli to me, maybe running through an auto Wah or some other effect like a mu-tron or something.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Not to derail the thread, but the I've always thought the live version on "You Can't Argue With a Sick Mind" is infinitely better. Great B-3 comping (along with some tasty piano jangling) on it in lieu of all the wah stuff on the original.

[video:youtube]

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

It sounds like a Clav to me through a WaWa but rolled back to the heel down position with the envelope shut down .... I don't hear a Wurly.... the RMI had a clav like sound on it also also but I think it's just a clav?

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I always used a clav for this part. But a Wurlie would work as well.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I always used a clav for this part. But a Wurlie would work as well.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I used a crunchy wurly patch on the pc361, an octave down. I always meant to get in there and make it a little closer to the original....but heck it sounded fine and if anything I needed to work on playing it (playing that steady left hand plus the right gave me a few issues, mainly because the left hand starts on the higher note and not the low pinkie, if that makes sense....my left hand kept trying to turn it around and play the low note on the 1)

Sounds like all wurli to me, maybe running through an auto Wah or some other effect like a mu-tron or something.

+! sounds thicker than a clav to me... and if I were covering it today I might even use a synthesized/analog electric piano patch (horrors!). I could see using a Polysix with reso filter, or auto-wah.

Jerry

Definitely a Rhodes through an Analog Synth via CV inputs.

Joe Walsh never did this live like the Studio version when I saw him twice, or twice with the James Gang.

We do this oldie too, Guitarist has the Dunlop Talk Box and thankfully Omnisphere 2 has this patch already.

I just added the new Retro Phaser and sweep it through the PA left to right.

Spacestation v3 does dirty sounds really well.

I have to cover the backing Distorted Guitar with the left hand and on the right hand have the PianoTeq Pro5 Upright for the rest of the tune.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Really? "Definitely?" How do you know. There several likely ways that it would have been done at the time. You know for sure it was DEFINITELY ad Rhodes through and Analog Synth via CV inputs? That doesn't even make sense, to tell the truth, unless you're saying it ALSO was routed through the filter and you're trying to say that the signal level was triggering the filter envelop....in which case that would be exactly the same as what others said...using an AutoWah. Why would you go through the trouble of patching through a synth when you could just use an AutoWah? And how is it definitely a Rhodes? Wurlies had more of that signature growl when you strike it hard. Listen to the bass notes and the tone on the hard vs soft strikes? Not to be an ass, but when somebody uses a word like "definitely", I expect it to be followed by something like "I know because I was the keyboard player who played on the album".

Dan

It sounds like a Clav to me through a WaWa...

+1

I use a clav sounds with autowah.

As others mentioned, the fatter tone, and I'll add the seeming velocity response adding the growl, is what lead me to think Wuli (or some EP), but I can hear the higher notes having more clav like characteristics, even though they still certainly have a different tone than I'm used to hearing. But that could certainly be attributed to an autowah and amp. So the more I'm listening, and the more evidence comes out, I'm thinking Clav with Autowah and an amp is probably most likely it...maybe with some additional effects and eq as well.

Dan

I wish I had the originals to experiment with. Still I'm tempted to fire up the Kronos and simulate different possibilities. But since it's not the real things, it would be a waste of time because people would just be adamant about whatever there opinion is and discount however I made the sound because it's just a simulation. Not worth my time to add 20 pages of people arguing about things they can't prove or disprove.

Answer: make the damn sound however you can with what you have,

Done,

Dan

Has anyone done this with a REAL clav? Just curious.

Dan

Has anyone done this with a REAL clav? Just curious.

I did.... In the 70's.

I played a D6 though a wah wah into an Ampeg V4. I used more of a bass sound by filtering out the high end. I got a real ballsy sound out of that combo, I could even get ringing feedback.

I used the V4 because that is what Ian MacLagen used in the Faces, and I wanted the same distorted Wurlie sound that he used to get.

Yours was exactly the kind of real world experience I value. It's too easy to speculate. What you say makes all the sense in the world. Thank you.

Dan

Really? "Definitely?" How do you know. There several likely ways that it would have been done at the time. You know for sure it was DEFINITELY ad Rhodes through and Analog Synth via CV inputs? That doesn't even make sense, to tell the truth, unless you're saying it ALSO was routed through the filter and you're trying to say that the signal level was triggering the filter envelop....in which case that would be exactly the same as what others said...using an AutoWah. Why would you go through the trouble of patching through a synth when you could just use an AutoWah? And how is it definitely a Rhodes? Wurlies had more of that signature growl when you strike it hard. Listen to the bass notes and the tone on the hard vs soft strikes? Not to be an ass, but when somebody uses a word like "definitely", I expect it to be followed by something like "I know because I was the keyboard player who played on the album".

I based my "opinion" on the lowest octaves that would have required a Satellite 88 note which Wurlitzer didn't have.

Also quite familiar with Rhodes and CV and Analog Filters in general.

Townsend and Dahlia Derbyshire were heroes to us kids back in the 80s.

You're not being an ass, just trying to find proof of concept.

Take a listen to Herbie Hancock on Actual Proof from the Thrust album/CD.

Then check out anything Townsend did with the EMS VCS modules.

You might agree after hearing Townsends Looping EG on Baba O'Riley or We Wont Get Fooled Again the filtering/phasing is quite similar and "definitely" not a wah-wah.

Also take a listen to Zawinul using a Wah-Wah and Rhodes on Tale Spinning, especially Man In The Green Shirt.

Huge difference in sound.

I perform this stuff and sadly have to recreate it on a Solaris or a quality plug in like Omni 2 or Zebra2 HZ.

The Looping EG Zebra2 has was very accurate considering it's 0s and 1s doing what racks of analog modules once did.

Even my sophisticated Multi Segment Looping EG on Solaris is not as good as what Urs and Howard did with Zebra2.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Archived