Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acoustic piano questions

Daddyg3042

Hiwas hoping I could get a little piano advice, the acoustic kind, that is. I have a Yamaha grand, and have had it now for 7 years. It was purchased new, and has been regularly tuned by a piano tech that was recommended by the place where it was bought. Hes independent and has no affiliation with this store. It's always sounded pretty good to my ear.

About 12 months ago, this piano tech was injured, or sick, not sure which, but when I called him about a tuning, he told me he wouldnt be working in the near to mid term. A few months after that, I was ready to get it tuned and found another guy who sounded knowledgeable and reputable, so I had him come over. What he said was that there was a significant number of tuning pegs that had never been turned, and how that was not a good thing. He worked on the piano much longer then the original tech ever had, and seemed a little put off with the difficulty he was having in adjusting the pegs, i.e. he was straining to "break" the peg free. When he left, the piano sounded good, but not markedly so over what the original tech had been doing for 5-6 yrs.

Im now starting to notice some weirdness.notes zinging in a couple areas of the piano, where notes ring out, and as they decay, sound almost like someones turning the filter knob. Its only a few notes, and doesnt happen all the time, but its bothersome. Im wanting to get this addressed, as well as the piano needs to be tuned again, and Id really like for some work to be done on the hammers, as its pretty stridentas Yamahas tend to be.

What Im curious about is, was this 2nd tech accurate? Should these pegs that had never been turned (supposedly) have been worked by the first tech even if the string was in tune? I feel like the 2nd tech, by adjusting all the tuning pegs, may have introduced this weird zinging, but understand it could be coincidence. Is this effect common?

Lastly, any recommendations on techniques to soften the hammers so the sound is less percussive? I know they can be fluffed, but is that optimum for achieving a softening of the strike, and does it compromise the hammers?

Thanks for any thoughts

"May you stay...forever young."

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't say for sure, but the 2nd tech may have been right. If the piano hasn't been tuned (completely) over years, the piano can be hard to tune and can exhibit weirdness after the first tuning. It probably needs a second tuning for it to stabilize.

I'm not a tech, but the ways I'm aware of for softening the hammers is by squeezing them (fluffing) with pliers which is temporary, or with a needle done by a tech (permanent.)

Here's a link to a piano technician/tuner forum.

Piano Tuner / Technicians Forum

Whenever I've noticed "zinging" from strings, if I understand the sound you are describing correctly, it's because some bit of felt is just barely touching the strings while they vibrate. Could be the damper's that come down to sit on the strings and keep them from ringing not getting up far enough away when you press the pedal, or it could be the red felt material they use at the end's of the strings as they attach to the harp. There is very little a good tech can't rectify.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

How long was it between tunings when your new tech came in? He may have done a pitch raise which would require a second tuning after it stabilizes. However, he should have told you of that fact.

If I were in your shoes, I would call the original tech and explain to him everything you said here and see what his take is.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone.

Think you're spot on with the zinging, Mr. Fudd. I didn't bring up my sustain pedal problem, but just over the last few weeks, there's very little play between engage and release. That could be a likely culprit in bringing felt and strings together. Thanks!

I'm sure I'll call someone to come take a look soon. I have some misgivings about calling the 1st tech, if indeed what he's done is considered unacceptable to most. He's a good guy and works on pianos all over town, so it's a bit unsettling to see such a wide discrepancy in the 2 techs approach to these tuning pegs.

Did someone say Peg?

"May you stay...forever young."

The pedal not catching the damper lift mechanism right could definitely be part of the problem. You could look behind the pedal and see what's not connected right. Probably a minor fix. But if you're not technical let the tech do it.

Tuning pegs are simple, tighter gets higher pitch looser for lower, like a guitar. The holes they sit in can become worn and the pegs no longer hold their place well. But this generally happens over a long period of time. Newer pianos should hold tune pretty well with the exception of changes in humidity as the seasons change. You might want to consider a piano humidifier. Ask your tech about installing.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

It could be the damper pedal. The Kawai upright in our studio was having a lingering sustaining ring from the damper not fully in contact with the strings on release. The pedal was "loose" and I adjusted the washer and bolt to acceptable use. However, the pedal slipped again and I replace the worn threaded washer. Problem fixed and functioning properly.

As an owner of multiple acoustic pianos, my best advice is find a really good tech (the guy who can't get to you for weeks because he's too busy) and pay him whatever he asks.

Really.

The guy who works on my piano in Florida must be 75 years old. I have to book him two months ahead of time. But my piano always sounds magnificent after he's spent a couple of hours with it.

Your mileage may vary.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Getting a good tuner is essential. Luckily my buddy is a left handed guitarist that also was the VP of the local guild around here of piano tuners. He does all my work.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Archived