Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Forte will be my one & only

rickzjamm

The Forte 7 disappeared from the Kurzweil website again.... does that bode nothing good?

Maybe they are editing it.

It said Prelimanary or something before at the bottom.

Any chatter about a 61k? They went bold with a weighted 76. How about another courageous act opting for an organ action with waterfall keys?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forte blows Nord Stage or Kronos out of the water in any sound category. Maybe not so much with organ/leslie sounds.

THAT´S a JOKE !

All, except new ac. pianos, new e-pianos, harpsichord and some tuned percussion, is what you already have in the PC3 series plus some from KORE64 ...

Already in the synth department, a PC3 falls short against a Kronos.

It´s hard to program a synth sound which doesn´t alias in the upper ranges on the PC3, also the LFOs alias and are lame in addition.

In the VA, saw and square waveforms work, all the other incl. PWM introduce aliasing which is CLEARLY audible.

Only 1 ENV per layer you can modulate, the AMPENV. Meh ...

I like and use my PC3, but I know what it cannot do too.

The FORTE technology might be a step forward in technology for Kurzweil, but they have to do MUCH more homework before they will release anything blowing everything other out of the water, regardless in which category.

A.C.

Yes it is a joke , it blows them into the weeds - including the organs...

Brett

I like this board. I think the work Dave did on this is outstanding, especially the piano's/Roads. Im not a fan of the action Kurz uses here, and at 4 G's Id have to be enamored w/the action. Did someone say Kurz Forte module?

Man I'm loving this board!! The sounds are top shelf Kurz all the way but the KB3... fogedaboutit!!!! I've been playing it at the last couple of gigs & the guitar player turned around & thought I brought my trusty SK1, he couldn't believe a stage board that wasn't Hammond or red could sound like that!!!

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

Another question: has Kurzweil now fixed the patch remain problem which affected early models as highlighted in review and video here?

I just got a call from the a buddy of mine... who happens to be the software engineer at Kurz R&D who fixed this bug. (He was also was my roommate at Berklee back when the earth was cooling.)

It was a bug. Patch remain is now totally, absolutely fixed, solid as a rock.

Good to hear that the glitch was a fixable anomaly!

As long as you're here, I was wondering... I know that KB3 has been enhanced in the Forte... some sonic enhancements I think, and also the "zero polyphony"implementation. I was wondering, did any KB3 enhancements make it to the Artis, or is the Artis KB3 identical to the PC3 series?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

:2thu:

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Good to hear that the glitch was a fixable anomaly!

As long as you're here, I was wondering... I know that KB3 has been enhanced in the Forte... some sonic enhancements I think, and also the "zero polyphony"implementation. I was wondering, did any KB3 enhancements make it to the Artis, or is the Artis KB3 identical to the PC3 series?

As far as I know the KB3 enhancements in the Forte are the zero polyphony and the fact that it *can* use more units of fx than a PC3/PC3K (32 instead of 16).

I believe the Artis, Forte and PC3 KB3 engines should otherwise be the same. The only difference is that the factory presets might be different between the models, based on choices made by the sound designers who happened to have been working on each project.

I'm also frustrated, as a complete non-programmer, that patches like Fagen Phaser have no sliders or mod wheel dedicated to phaser intensity or speed. I wish I could find the time to learn how to assign some of this stuff myself, but it would seem to me that this should already be programmed.

Go to Program 25 Hotrodded Dyno Rhodes and find out how it´s done there w/ the chorus where sliders MIDI 25 and 26 control LFO speed and LFO depth.

In regards of FX amount for chorus or phaser, you can do the same w/ the MIX parameter p.ex..

But you will never get rid of the sample jumps on the PC3 Rhodes programs.

The FORTE will be an improvement for sure w/ it´s new sample sets, but editing FX chains in depth on the FORTE is only possible using the software editor and this is what holds be back from buying a FORTE.

There is NO program I use in the PC3 w/ stock FX chains/settings, so for me it´s essential I can edit everything from the front panel (which is faster anyway).

My PC3 is almost never connected to a computer, except DAW work.

A.C.

Thanks Al. I'll mess around with it when I find time.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I'm also frustrated, as a complete non-programmer, that patches like Fagen Phaser have no sliders or mod wheel dedicated to phaser intensity or speed. I wish I could find the time to learn how to assign some of this stuff myself, but it would seem to me that this should already be programmed.

Go to Program 25 Hotrodded Dyno Rhodes and find out how it´s done there w/ the chorus where sliders MIDI 25 and 26 control LFO speed and LFO depth.

In regards of FX amount for chorus or phaser, you can do the same w/ the MIX parameter p.ex..

But you will never get rid of the sample jumps on the PC3 Rhodes programs.

The FORTE will be an improvement for sure w/ it´s new sample sets, but editing FX chains in depth on the FORTE is only possible using the software editor and this is what holds be back from buying a FORTE.

There is NO program I use in the PC3 w/ stock FX chains/settings, so for me it´s essential I can edit everything from the front panel (which is faster anyway).

My PC3 is almost never connected to a computer, except DAW work.

A.C.

Thanks Al. I'll mess around with it when I find time.

Anyone can feel free to ask away and I'll be happy to give pointers on how to do this stuff on a PC3/PC3K.

For this: You want to edit the Fx chain, figure out which box in the chain is the effect you want to control. Then you can edit the box and hard-set the parameters or you can go to the FXmod page and assign a controller. On FXmod page (1-3) on far left, select the box #, (moving left to right) then select which parameter, then select which slider (just move the slider while holding Enter), then set the depth for the slider.

Here are the tutorial videos - there's a short chapter on Fxmods.

http://kurzweil.com/product/pc3k8/video/

The Forte in general has fx params like phaser rate and depth assigned to sliders and enable/disable for each on the buttons above them. And they're adding more and more editing features with each OS. So far they've added half-pedaling, 16 zones, zero polyphony KB3 and expanded program editing (but not full VAST... yet).

Dave, just a heads-up none of those video links appear to be working any more. You might want to alert them.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Hot dang... what a coincidence.

41.4lbs vs. 48lbs on the 88k

76 weighted. Nice news for the guys where the 88k doesn't fit in the car across the back seat? Shaved the end panels too, 43.2" vs. 54.5" on the 88k.

http://kurzweil.com/content/image/product_detail/254/medium/forte7_front_high.jpg

Thanks for the hefty GAS attack.

My thoughts exactly.

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Dave, just a heads-up none of those video links appear to be working any more. You might want to alert them.

I've been told website videos are being fixed presently.

For now, all PC3/PC3K (and other Kurz) tutorials are up on youtube.

Archived