Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yes in the slow lane

Aidan

No dissing Shemp! It took me a long time to realize his comedic genius. Curly and he were different, but both really good in their roles.

Live: Nord Stage 3 Compact, Nord Wave 2, Viscount Legend

Toys: Korg Kronos 2 88, Roland Fantom 08, Nord Lead A1,Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP

www.echoesrocks.com

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Dan, agreed.... Shemp is a misunderestimated comic genius.....

As to CP----he seems to have gotten tighter over the years and he seems to be in the best shape, physically and musically than his former badmates.....

As to White-----nah, don't see it... He's ok, and certainly has or had good time, but he doesn't have the rhythmic concepts or sense of pocket of his countrymen Bruford, Baker, Watts, Starr, Tony Oxley or Phil Seaman

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Oh and BTW, regarding "Cans and Brahms". As most of you know the piece is wholly an arrangement of an excerpt from the 3rd movement of Brahms 4th symphony. (Or is it the 4th movement of Brams' 3rd lol?) With at least 5 or 6 different parts on the original "Fragile" album, all pretty effing hard and IMPOSSIBLE to play in total in real time. I'm sure the solo pices are all included for completeness' sake, missing band members notwithstanding. I'm not a huge Downes fan, but, at least in this instance, he shouldn't be castigated for his performances.....

I completely understand that, and I completely understand that much of it would either have to be sequenced/tracked, or other players would need to be involved. I have no issue with that aspect at all. I just don't think he did his part especially well, and it is just one example.

Here is the clip I was talking about in my first post in this thread:

and as a contrast:

Stage: Korg Krome 88.

Home: Korg Kross 61, Yamaha reface CS, Korg SP250, Korg mono/poly Kawai ep 608, Korg m1, Yamaha KX-5

No dissing Shemp! It took me a long time to realize his comedic genius. Curly and he were different, but both really good in their roles.

Yeah, Dan, agreed.... Shemp is a misunderestimated comic genius.....

Many people don't know that Shemp was the original "third stooge" (i.e., before Curly) but returned to the act many years later, after Curly had medical problems.

I had the opportunity to meet Mousie Garner, a vaudeville comedian before he passed (he was 90-something at the time). He told me he filled in for Shemp during their live shows. He said that Shemp was the nicest and most "naturally funny" of all the stooges. Personally, I think Shemp's funniest stuff were his appearances in Abbott and Costello or W.C. Field's movies.

Sorry for the OT gang, I can't help myself...

KC Stooge Thread

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

A

Alan White is totally underrated and NO ONE sounds quite like he does. He has a very unique style and his sense of time is fantastic. His playing on Drama and 90125 is killer.

It should be: it's Jeff Porcaro.

Porcaro ghosted on Tempus and Does it Really Happen.

Drama is a great record, but I thought that when it came out. (I was in high school and we did Into The Lens.)

But this maligning of Going for the One? It's not cohesive???

You guys need to listen to that album again. It's strange sounding for sure (lots of high end....probably lots of booger sugar), but the playing, the writing, and the arranging on it are excellent. The pacing is fantastic, and Awaken has been a live stable since its release. Nope....GFTO is a great record. And if you don't think so, you can GTFO.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

You think that was bad? How about this?

Ouch. It is a tricky little thing, but still... Here's how the Yes tribute band I was in did it...

[video:youtube]

(camera problem, so the "video" is audio only)

Very good cover of this challenging song! Love the vocals.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

A

Alan White is totally underrated and NO ONE sounds quite like he does. He has a very unique style and his sense of time is fantastic. His playing on Drama and 90125 is killer.

Yup. Alan is great, but does not hold a candle to Bruford.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Oh and BTW, regarding "Cans and Brahms". As most of you know the piece is wholly an arrangement of an excerpt from the 3rd movement of Brahms 4th symphony. (Or is it the 4th movement of Brams' 3rd lol?) With at least 5 or 6 different parts on the original "Fragile" album, all pretty effing hard and IMPOSSIBLE to play in total in real time. I'm sure the solo pices are all included for completeness' sake, missing band members notwithstanding. I'm not a huge Downes fan, but, at least in this instance, he shouldn't be castigated for his performances.....

I completely understand that, and I completely understand that much of it would either have to be sequenced/tracked, or other players would need to be involved. I have no issue with that aspect at all. I just don't think he did his part especially well, and it is just one example.

Here is the clip I was talking about in my first post in this thread:

and as a contrast:

Someone should put a cape on him.

I never did like live albums for this very reason - tracks get played slow or fast compared to the original and I don't want to hear the poor quality/assholes shouting out/applause etc!

The only thing is live albums are very useful for me with Genesis for hearing how they did it live.

Also there are some fine versions of tracks which suit being played slower. Watcher of the Skies is a good example.

I saw Yes last year on Cruise to the Edge and I have to say really enjoyed the gig - couldn't really fault it or the Jon Anderson sound-alike.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Damn, that kid is good.

Yes should hire him!

Thanks for making my day, Shutoku!

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

No disrespect, Tony, but I stand by my opinion with the qualifier that both the title track, Wondorous Stories and Awaken are fantastic .... Agreed, the playing is fantastic but I still don't think the rest of the tunes hold up as well as those three do.... And three great tracks don't make a great album, IMO.....

Robert Bosch, 1919

Carl Palmer is , without a doubt, the worst famous drummer. His time is horrible. In the famous drum break in "Karn Evil 9," he rushes like his ass is on fire. Keith's sense of time is a million times better and he holds all those tunes together.

Actually, Emo's time is terrible as well- way too fast live. Greg Lake was the one with the sense of time in the band, and always pulled them back- you can hear how he would pound the bass out slowing the other two back down.

I think is was on Redbeard's interview in 1974, when playing "Hoedown" from "WBMFTTSTNE" that Redbeard commented on how fast Hoedown was, and both commented "Yeah, Keith... Keith..." jokingly.

And listen to the bridge of "Heat of the Moment" on the Asia album- you can hear John Wetton pulling Carl back to tempo.

And that was a studio album.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Porcaro ghosted on Tempus and Does it Really Happen.

Wait.what???

My curiosity is piqued. Please cite your source.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

And listen to the bridge of "Heat of the Moment" on the Asia album- you can hear John Wetton pulling Carl back to tempo.

And that was a studio album.

..Joe

Exactly. Rushing in a live situation is totally forgivable. It's Carl's time on the studio albums that is the most egregious.

Endorsing Artist/Ambassador for MAG Organs and Motion Sound Amplifiers, Organ player for SRT - www.srtgroove.com

In context though, in those times these guys were kids, and for many, "the faster/busier you play, the better you are." Not sure what I'm trying to say, but it's something like hindsight is 20/20.

Here for the gear.

Naturally, this thread has got me on a Yes kick, especially the discussion about the Drama-era. The 2011 release "Fly From Here" is a sleepy-little gem. It is the Drama band with Benoit David singing lead and Trevor Horn back in the producers chair. The title suite is a Horn-Downes Buggles-era composition that was finally recorded by Yes 30 years later.

This is a really excellent sounding album (go figure). I recommend it for anyone who was into the Drama/90125 sound.

Thanks Mitch, I will check out "Fly From Here".....BTW, everyone, what are your thoughts on "Tormato"?

Robert Bosch, 1919

Tormato is to me... interesting.

I remember when it came out, I though my LP was bad because of that buzzy, high-endy sound it had. A friend's copy made us both think it was maybe a bad batch of LPs that were shipped.

I really like "Future Times," and "Circus of Heaven" is typical Jon. The rest is kind of meh, except for the playing, which is always outstanding.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I remeber listening to it as a teenager and thinking "Yes sounds like a band with no direction...." I could't even remember any of the tunes after the record stopped! I just moved to Marin County and local heroes TheTubes' "White Punks on Dope" ruled the airwaves.....synthpop and punk were blasting out and "Don't Kill the Whale" seemed like a lone timorous voice ...... I'm really curious what that sounds like now.......

Robert Bosch, 1919

90125 was fine. I couldn't get into most their catalog.

It seems like a 70s British keyboard band thing. Early Genesis, Yes and ELP had weak songwriting. The stuff meandered endlessly with too much noodling and not enough good hooks. Downes is a genius but Yes is the weakest band he ever played with in terms of songwriting. Not sure why I feel this way. I thought Asia was good yet they all share so much personnel.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Early Genesis, Yes and ELP had weak songwriting. The stuff meandered endlessly with too much noodling and not enough good hooks.

Listening to prog in search of a good hook is like listening to AC/DC in search of a tender love ballad. ;-)

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Early Genesis, Yes and ELP had weak songwriting. The stuff meandered endlessly with too much noodling and not enough good hooks. Downes is a genius but Yes is the weakest band he ever played with in terms of songwriting. Not sure why I feel this way. I thought Asia was good yet they all share so much personnel.

I'm not sure either.

I think you need to put the Katy Perry covers down, and jettison that pop shit you've been forced to learn, and remember WHY YOU GOT IN THIS GAME IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!! YMMV of course. :)

Saying those prog bands (in particular no less) suffered from weak songwriting is like saying modern pop suffers from over arranging.

Those bands used forms closer to classical forms than Verse/Chorus/Verse/Bridge/End.

And the songs are too long. Good 'Prog' would be the 1st 4 Kansas albums and Lucky Man. :D

Guys that got me in this were Kansas, Head East Reo, One Eyed Jacks, Styx, Steppenwolf, Edgar Winter, ect.... And I like Gregg Rolie a lot.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Archived