Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Organ fans, I give you The Peddlers

Aidan

I'm not sure how much, if at all, this trio penetrated into the US market but during the 60s and 70s in the UK, they were on TV quite a lot on various variety shows. I was too young to appreciate them first time around but just rediscovered them and my God, what a band.

Roy Phillips is great organist, who actually started out on guitar for Joe Meek's sessions. Anyway, here are a couple of vids, the first is interesting in that Roy's playing a Lowrey Berkshire, as used by Pete Townsend, and I think the wah effect is built in to that model. Second is on a Hammond (model?) but also hot as hell (love the drummer's stick-twirling).

[video:youtube]

Edit: well, they penetrated the US psyche enough for this to be used on Breaking Bad, it appears...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting this. Great stuff. I never recall hearing this.

AS you probably know, Jimmy Smith also did a great version of "Walk on the Wild Side" Spoiler note, this is the Elmer Bernstein song, not the Lou Reed one.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

Very cool. Thanks. The first clip is lip synced so the organ was probably just a prop. Sure sounds like a Hammond/Leslie through a wah wah. Some pretty interesting rhythmic fills in the second clip. He sounds a little like David Clayton Thomas.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Hi Guy's,

for the record, Roy Phillip's lives in New Zealand now. Here's his website http://www.royphillips.org/

Such a shame he's across the world from the U.K. I still get the hairs stand up on the back of my kneck when I hear their rendition of 'What'll I do'. Not because it's the best song ever, but because listening to tunes like that made me take an active interest in organs, which I am still dabbling in now. Thank you for that Roy.

As times have changed, I now have a couple of keyboards, but I have one above the other with a set of Roland PK5 pedals. These are all played 'organ' style. Even with my limited musical ability I still get a buzz playing like this !!!

Chris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAU7PMLzjfA. 56 seconds on, Organ players heaven.

Wow,,, very interesting & tight group. My 1st time hearing this group and I wanna hear more. Anything with Organ is tops in my book. Thanks for posting. I think I will roam over to Youtube for some more. :2thu:
Hammond XK3-C; Yamaha Tyros 3; Casio PX-5S; Yamaha DX7 IID; Yamaha DGX 520; Yamaha Stagepas 500 & KS50 (x2) Leslie 147(1971) Lots of other stuff

I wonder what those doorbells on the organ are for?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Very cool. Thanks. The first clip is lip synced so the organ was probably just a prop. Sure sounds like a Hammond/Leslie through a wah wah. Some pretty interesting rhythmic fills in the second clip. He sounds a little like David Clayton Thomas.

Yep this is mimed but according to the comments section, that was actually Phillips' own Lowrey. There's another video of someone demoing one for sale and the wah effect is demonstrated on that, so it was a stock function rather than a mod.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

The Peddlers are fantastic, I'm a long term fan, and old enough to remember them from the late 60's. I have a lot of their Albums and my fav is "Live at the Pickwick" they were once described as a "musicians group" as I think most of their fan base consisted of musicians! I never get tired of listening to Roy's singing and Organ playing, thanks for giving them a mention Aidan.

Some info from my Dad - a great player and a key influence throughout my musical life:

The pedlars, they were great. The Lowrey Berkshire (1st clip) did have a built in wah wah pedal effect. The second clip was a Hammond A 100 series ( similar to the B3 & C3) but with internal amps & speakers. Looks like his had been moded with thumb pistons fitted to the front rail -never seen that done before. Looks awful!

The A100 series had NO pedal sustain so it was just a thump when you pressed a pedal. I think you could get a mod whereby you got pedal sustain & I bet the organist had that fitted.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Yes, The Peddlers were ahead of their time in some ways, and of their time in others.

I have several of their albums, and Roy Phillips' sound and style were among my early influences. Check out his Hammond (A100) tone and chops on this track from their album "Birthday" and included on the compilation "How Cool Is Cool".

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXe1UyPA-p8

Lockshen Pudding by The Peddlers on YouTube

Yes, The Peddlers were ahead of their time in some ways, and of their time in others.

I have several of their albums, and Roy Phillips' sound and style were among my early influences. Check out his Hammond (A100) tone and chops on this track from their album "Birthday" and included on the compilation "How Cool Is Cool".

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXe1UyPA-p8

Lockshen Pudding by The Peddlers on YouTube

Very impressive! WOW! How did I miss these guys?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Very impressive! WOW! How did I miss these guys?

Fashion and taste are funny things ... you can be appreciated as hip in one decade, dismissed as "corny" in another, forgotten in the next, then rediscovered as "retro" by another generation and be appreciated as hip all over again ... meanwhile the music speaks for itself, and as Duke Ellington said, there are only two kinds of music: good music, and the other kind.

The Peddlers' magnum opus was an ambitious and highly regarded album titled "Suite London" with the London Philharmonic Orchestra. Roy Phillips plays Rhodes and Clavinet as well as Hammond on some tracks.

A track from this was nicely covered by chillout wizards Zero 7.

Great stuff! I'll have to keep my eyes open for their albums in my travels.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

The Peddlers were never "corny" , - just a fantastic band of great musicians in anybody's language , with Awesome songs .....

How anyone could have missed hearing them is beyond me.

They used to be played on the radio , but never enough!.

All musicians should read the story here at least > http://www.royphillips.org/then1.html

Brett

Wow... I've never heard the Peddlers before and I thought I was fairly knowledgeable about late 60's - early 70's rock and R&B, Many thanks for the heads-up.

Roy Phillips definitely has some serious organ chops and a great soulful voice. And the drummer kills it. I'll be on the lookout for some more of their material now.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I had never heard of these guys either. Pretty killer!

I'd love to know what those pistons fitted to his A-100 did...don't usually see switches mounted into the front rail but occasionally someone manages to stuff them in there...whoever did that to Roy's A-100 did a nice job, if you ask me...

On edit...I see in another clip at least one of them is his Leslie switch...

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com