Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

'm going to buy the rd-800 !

Dextroze

Hello guys !

After many video on YouTube and some tries in store...I think I'm gonna buy the Roland rd-800.

My girlfriend is also a piano player (classical), me more jazz.

I think it's a really good keybed (maybe the better to my taste).

Lots of sounds, some effects, heavy but solid stuff.

But...You guys know keyboards verry well and...Is there something I should be aware concerning the rd-800 ?

Things I could have missed (beside the $$$!)?

If I can afford it it's only because my girlfriend will help me to pay since we sometimes need to practice at the same moment.

She is also very nice and generous :)

I need your advice on that specific keyboard.

Thanks a lot !

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I can afford it it's only because my girlfriend will help me to pay since we sometimes need to practice at the same moment.

Buy it immediately before she changes her mind.

As a jazz pianist and long time devotee to the Roland Superior Grands and actions I advise anybody to go for the current Yamaha CP4 instead.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

I've actually got a CP4 on the way. But I listened to tons of eval and demo tubes, and I have to say that some of the RD800's pianos sounded better than anything else I'd heard. Can't speak for the action other than what I've read, but you should be very happy with the sound.

D-10; M50; SP4-7; SP6

I'm a fairly accomplished hack.

+1 for the Yamaha. I used to be a Roland guy but think the CP4 is vastly superior to the RD800.

It does come down to personal preference I guess but I found the RD to be far too muddy and mellow. I liked the crisp Yamaha. Thought it had a better finger to ear connection too.

It's also lighter and it also has a standard power lead slot as opposed to the RD which has the power lead soldered in the back due to an error with the original units. That would annoy me

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

Roland RD800, Yamaha CP4, and Kawai MP7 seem to be the big competitors in this niche. Kawai MP11 if you can deal with the weight.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The thing that often gets overlooked about the RD-800 -- and, to be clear, I'm not overtly endorsing this DP -- is that there are lots of parameters to change the AP sounds, even down to individual notes. In other words, people who dismiss it are most likely basing their opinions on the factory patches and haven't tried to dial in something they would like more. So unless you have truly "gotten under the hood" of the RD-800 and spent time tweaking it, I don't think you're qualified to offer an opinion on its AP sounds beyond the factory patches. There's no reason to think that you couldn't dial in sounds that are less "muddy and mellow."

Dana, I'm sure you're correct in your observation - that superior sounds are possible on the Roland than what appears at factory boot. The challenge is the target market - those often looking for a digital piano aren't looking to menu dive, program and tweak (a vast generalization, but I think you get the gist).

That, and the fact that the CP4 with all its shortcomings is really excellent out of the box at the few things it aims to do well, and that comparison verdict for non-programming types is fast to arrive at.

There's also the tertiary argument that, "Well, if the Roland is capable of better sounds, why didn't they program them up front?", but that can be such a chicken-egg argument that it's not worth belabouring.

Brett, I can only imagine Kurz doesn't come up in the discussion because 1) Forte is so new very few (any?) forumites have ownership experience to draw from, and 2) because of distribution and retail challenges, hardly anyone's actually played one in the store, either.

Anecdotally, I will say this - Out of the box I was underwhelmed with any of the pianos in my Kronos (the original, purchased when first released). Inspired by busch's programming and custom pianos, I started tweaking and editing my own piano. Moral of the story I've ended up with a really great Kronos grand piano patch that works really, really well in all sorts of live settings.

All to say, many kudos to busch's excellent programming. I find it constantly inspiring, and admire his skill a great deal.

Dana, I'm sure you're correct in your observation - that superior sounds are possible on the Roland than what appears at factory boot. The challenge is the target market - those often looking for a digital piano aren't looking to menu dive, program and tweak (a vast generalization, but I think you get the gist).

That, and the fact that the CP4 with all its shortcomings is really excellent out of the box at the few things it aims to do well, and that comparison verdict for non-programming types is fast to arrive at.

There's also the tertiary argument that, "Well, if the Roland is capable of better sounds, why didn't they program them up front?", but that can be such a chicken-egg argument that it's not worth belabouring.

I hear ya. I just thought a plug for an important, overlooked feature of the RD -- especially since it's the OP's primary interest -- was only fair before the pile-on of CP4 fanboys. :poke:;)

Agreed. The older I get, the less I understand fanboys in any domain. Clonewheels, stage pianos, Mac vs. PC, iPhone vs. Android, Ford vs. Chevy, yadda yadaa.

Seems to me it takes a very insecure soul to see a purchase decision of a tool to serve as a proxy for intelligence, or character, or wisdom.

Roland RD800, Yamaha CP4, and Kawai MP7 seem to be the big competitors in this niche. Kawai MP11 if you can deal with the weight.

Where's the Kurzweil Forte? (Best sounds for a start IMO)

I don't really put it in the same category... it's $4k. It has, I think, also a wider range of non-piano sounds than any of the others. Also, it's action is not so much a high-end piano-specific action as the others profess to be, but more of an "all 'round" action. If we expand the group to include this, then I would also include the Nord Piano 2, and probably the new Kronos with the 3.0 software. These are all strong as stage pianos. But if your focus is on (a) piano sound, (b) high quality piano action, and © under $3k... that's kinda the group I was defining in my original statement.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The Roland is really cool. If you played the instrument and it speaks to you then get that the Roland.

The deciding factors that make my decisions easier on stage slabs are the non-piano things. I won't buy an RD-800 because it isn't what I need. I am more a MP-7 or Kronos guy because of the I/O and controller layout ..... but Roland does a lot of stuff and it really cool. If I thought I would never need to control external devices the Roland would be tempting partly because I really like their synth engines. Also the curves on the RD-800 are sexy.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I'm with D-bon, buy it before she changes her mind ! :)

But, after hearing these comments from forum members, should you at least play the CP-4 first? Also, have you considered the Kurzweil Artis ?

Kurzweil Forte 7, Mojo 61, Yamaha P-125,

Kronos X61, Nautilus 73

Hi dextergoldberg.

Buy the rd800 my friend!

I had the cp4(both with the roland),it´s a great stage piano but i've sold it

Outside the good keyboards sounds on each,i found the RD 800 superior for all...

If you prefer the keybed and piano sounds from the yam,buy the yam ok.

But if you don't find the yam superior...nothing to say more.

The roland is so much than the yam.(more power and editing,more versatile sounds..etc etc)

I had the 2 both,and sold the yam!

Nord stage 2 EX88,Nord electro 5D,roland RD800,Roland FA08,Korg kingkorg,Korg PA4x,Yamaha PSR s970

Native instrument maschine studio et komplete 10.

Agreed. The older I get, the less I understand fanboys in any domain. Clonewheels, stage pianos, Mac vs. PC, iPhone vs. Android, Ford vs. Chevy, yadda yadaa.

Seems to me it takes a very insecure soul to see a purchase decision of a tool to serve as a proxy for intelligence, or character, or wisdom.

I thought that only applied to things like cars , with virtue , bravery etc , underpinned with feelings of Grandeur :D

Keyboards too?? :D

Brett

The thing that often gets overlooked about the RD-800 -- and, to be clear, I'm not overtly endorsing this DP -- is that there are lots of parameters to change the AP sounds, even down to individual notes. In other words, people who dismiss it are most likely basing their opinions on the factory patches and haven't tried to dial in something they would like more. So unless you have truly "gotten under the hood" of the RD-800 and spent time tweaking it, I don't think you're qualified to offer an opinion on its AP sounds beyond the factory patches. There's no reason to think that you couldn't dial in sounds that are less "muddy and mellow."

Spot on! Im constantly digging into edits. The factory presets are only a good start at best. With the RD800 you have to "get under the hood" to really appreciate all it has to offer. I enjoy having expansive editing options as my AP preference can change daily. I don't believe there is a one size fits all for AP. But you really do need to spend time the Rd800. Ive had mine for a year and Im still not qualified to offer a valid opinion beyond the factory patches because there is so much to discover and APs are personal preference. But I can tell you that "muddy and mellow" can easily be edited to be as "clear and bright" as needed. Even as crisp as a CP4 perhaps.

She is also very nice and generous :)!

If your girlfriend dumps you, buy an MP7.

[font:Century Gothic]KAWAI ES7 | ROLAND RD-800 | YAMAHA CP4 | YAMAHA STAGEPAS 400i | PRESONUS R65 & T10 | SHURE SRH1540 | SENNHEISER HD650 | K&M OMEGA [/font]

Why is this a problem ?

Once you know wich you will use it's not a problem anymore to have too many sounds no ?

Thks for all the answers guys...such a great community!

I was really info the mp7 for a moment but I feel that there is notnenough sounds :)

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

If someone told me both RD800 and CP4 had great sounds but I had to choose based on the size, weight, look then I'm picking the CP.

I'm a big fan of scifi movies, but when it comes to DP's give me a traditional look (CP.) I also don't like the extended length of RD to fit pitch bender (CP.) Weight goes to (CP.) The power cord issue speaks to me more than just having to permanently having to attach power cord. I love the keytops in CP. They don't seem to scratch and they have a nice color. It really gives me the impression I'm playing an acoustic.

I'm also older and don't play multi-keys any longer, so all that aesthetic stuff is important to me. I do think the CP is better suited for jazz.

edit: I love the real time effects on RD800 (Nord-like.) That is the one compromise, I have to live with.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Buy it immediately before she changes her mind.
Marry her immediately before she changes her mind. :P

If you want a less expensive alternative without sacrificing piano or electric piano capabilities, check out the Casio PX-5S. :2thu:

May I have your permission to use that on the poster? ;)

Seriously, to the OP the RD-800 is great, the CP4 is great, the MP7 is great - they're all great. But you need to get out there and play all these boards for yourself - please don't rely solely on YouTube videos.

Cheers,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Don't do it! BluesKeys got one and he has a big problem with it: IT HAS TOO MANY SOUNDS!

You forgot the smiley face, Jeff. :)

BluesKeys loves his RD-800. He just needs to organize all those sounds so they're easy to access on a gig.

Tom

PS - I only had ONE Maker's Mark last night. BluesKeys had the Sweet Baby Jesus... or it could have been the Dirty Little Freak. That waiter screwed up the bill. I think he was on drugz. :taz:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Tom, I watched you order a second MM, and I went ahead and called the waiter back to ordered a second Sweet Baby Jesus.

As for the RD800 I am overwhelmed with the amount of sounds. As with every keyboard there are those I would never use. However I have found multiple AP sounds and multiple EP sounds that are very usable. Most times I find one of each as my go to patches. I can't say that yet with the RD800. I can also say if you fell a sound is muddy, there are 4 real time EQ's to color the sound on the fly. So you can menu dive and set your own or tweak on the fly. There are plenty of bright Yamaha sounds on it for me, but I am not a fan of how the bright sits in the mix.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Tom, I watched you order a second MM, and I went ahead and called the waiter back to ordered a second Sweet Baby Jesus.

Well. I guess I was having a better time than you thought I was. If that's the case, he screwed up the bill in our favor. He charged us for just ONE beer.

Perhaps I was the one on drugz, but you KNOW that would be a lie. :laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

May I have your permission to use that on the poster? ;)

Of course you can! MP7 would fix my broken heart instantly .... unboxing an MP7 would be foreplay for me. I know, TMI :laugh:

[font:Century Gothic]KAWAI ES7 | ROLAND RD-800 | YAMAHA CP4 | YAMAHA STAGEPAS 400i | PRESONUS R65 & T10 | SHURE SRH1540 | SENNHEISER HD650 | K&M OMEGA [/font]

Archived