Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

'm going to buy the rd-800 !

Dextroze

Dexter, I remember listening to your SC page a few months back that you posted. You're an excellent player...so yeah just go with what speaks to you best. You're at a level to know what will work better for you then anyone else here.

I'll just say one thing regarding Rolands for me at least. And that's they've never seemed to work out live. And I did spend a lot of time futzing with editing on the RD700GX. I know the 800 is two generations past that , so maybe this newer version is better suited for live playing.

Keep in mind when trying to hear your voicings within say a Quintet or Sextet setting with Tenor, Trumpet & Bone- those horns take up a lotta sonic space, and I've simply found best to have something that is really clear and crisp sounding on comping and soloing.

And for single note lines on uptempo more intense stuff within the trio- I'm, in general, always scuffling it seems more on Roland then Yamaha.

It's a huge drag to have to play real Jazz on an electric keyboard in the first place over even a borderline acoustic ...like a 6' Young Chang or something equally as barely passable.

I just try to go for the path of least resistance with the Yamaha CP4... :)

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok guys;.. :D

In fact it seems that I might not have enough money... 2200 it's a lot...

I'd like maybe to go toward the MP7 but... You think they are enough sounds ? The keybed ? :'(((

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

The MP7 is an absolute killer for hhe price ..

Yes it's less than the rd800 for the number of sounds,but no problem all'the essential is very good and efficient.(quite good organ emulation for example)

I found the keybed really pleasant and on the top of this category.

Another thing:

The mp7 is a beautiful peace of hardware:

Wood panels,metal case...

Beautiful!

Nord stage 2 EX88,Nord electro 5D,roland RD800,Roland FA08,Korg kingkorg,Korg PA4x,Yamaha PSR s970

Native instrument maschine studio et komplete 10.

I dont think it's a big compromise going with the MP7 over RD800. MP7 is a great value at 1500.

Regarding sounds and keyboard;

- 256 sounds is a good offering. Not sure what your needs are, but you should be able to dig up sounds you are looking for. Plus, excellent edit features such as virtual technician and plenty options on edit menu that rivals RD800.

- RH2 with Let-off, Ivory Touch and Triple Sensor is among the best action out there.

So, MP7 might be your best option if money is tight. I also suggest you try a CP4 if it fits your budget. I've played it many times and really enjoyed it. I immediately get that connection others have posted about.

[font:Century Gothic]KAWAI ES7 | ROLAND RD-800 | YAMAHA CP4 | YAMAHA STAGEPAS 400i | PRESONUS R65 & T10 | SHURE SRH1540 | SENNHEISER HD650 | K&M OMEGA [/font]

Ok guys;.. :D

In fact it seems that I might not have enough money... 2200 it's a lot...

I'd like maybe to go toward the MP7 but... You think they are enough sounds ? The keybed ? :'(((

Have you thought about a RD300NX ? Ivory G3 key bed and Super Natural pianos.

Basically a lighter version of the RD700NX.

Do you really need all the extras that you will probably never use ?

" I may not be as good a player as you but I'm having fun "

Honestly,the kawai mp7 is far more better than the rd300nx for all,and for not so much money.

Nord stage 2 EX88,Nord electro 5D,roland RD800,Roland FA08,Korg kingkorg,Korg PA4x,Yamaha PSR s970

Native instrument maschine studio et komplete 10.

If you want a lot sounds there FA-08.

The MP-7 is a great stage piano for the price.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

It is OK. The MP7 is way better. FAs make nice pop machines because of the sampler sequencer and synth library.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I think the MP7 action is far better than that of the FA-08/RD300NX, which have Roland's lower end action.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

dexter, I'd save up and get the RD-800. :saber:

i know there are a number of opinions, and perhaps yours would differ with mine as well, but I compared the RD-800 with the CP4, found the RD-800's action vastly superior to the CP4's action, and purchased the RD-800.

Reminds me of when my girlfriend's father asked me why I had two cars, and I said it's because I can't have two girlfriends.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Well, if you really love her buy an engagement ring and a PX150. Then register for a RD800 as a wedding present. Get it all done in one shot. Am I moving too fast??

[font:Century Gothic]KAWAI ES7 | ROLAND RD-800 | YAMAHA CP4 | YAMAHA STAGEPAS 400i | PRESONUS R65 & T10 | SHURE SRH1540 | SENNHEISER HD650 | K&M OMEGA [/font]

Dexter,

I have the RD800 & love it!! I connected to the key bed action immediately & the sounds are huge & kick butt live. I tweaked the piano to sound as close to the CP as possible & it definitely cuts pretty good the through the dense sonic dust storm the guitar player creates (he says loud equals better tone, go figure... i say better tone equals better tone).

My only critique is I wish the organ sim was better, but that's for another space (I use a vent & it's passable for my needs).

Good luck on your quest.

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

I played the Rd 800 and Kawai MP7 extensively at NAMM.

The problem was that the VI Labs Ravenscroft was across the hall from Roland.

I do not want to comment too negatively on either the Roland or the Kawai, but the difference was glaringly apparent. The Ravenscroft software displayed a sensitivity and tonal quality that I have not encountered in any other digital instrument.

The Kawai controller that was being used with the Ravenscoft was also among the best I have played.

Of the Roland 800 and Kawai MP7, I probably liked the Kawai action better. The big problem for me was that I thought that the Rhodes on the Kawai was nothing special. And the weight on both those boards is prohibitive.

Yeah... Well... Maybe I should buy the FA-06 and get use to play different sounds, work on them etc. Put some money aside and buy the rd-800 or a new roland in one year...So much easier to take a light keyboard to gigs !

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

I played the Rd 800 and Kawai MP7 extensively at NAMM.

The problem was that the VI Labs Ravenscroft was across the hall from Roland.

I do not want to comment too negatively on either the Roland or the Kawai, but the difference was glaringly apparent. The Ravenscroft software displayed a sensitivity and tonal quality that I have not encountered in any other digital instrument.

The Kawai controller that was being used with the Ravenscoft was also among the best I have played.

Of the Roland 800 and Kawai MP7, I probably liked the Kawai action better. The big problem for me was that I thought that the Rhodes on the Kawai was nothing special. And the weight on both those boards is prohibitive.

I'm thinking of setting up a laptop rig with Ivory pianos in it attached to the RD-800 (might stock it with the Ravenscoft as well).

I've had the RD800 for about 6 months and it's action was the main factor in my decision over the CP. After trying the Yammie, it was apparent the "out-of-the-box" sounds were better but will a little editing the RD will cut through just fine. A few extra lbs isn't that big deal for me now but maybe down the line when I'm hobbling around with a bad back that may change!
Roland RD-800, Roland RD-64, Nord Electro 5d -73, Hohner D-6 Clavinet, Wurlitzer 200A, Fender Rhodes Mark 1 Buz Watson, QSC and Presonus PA, Gibson and Bugera Tube Amps. Gobs of lights and lasers.

Dexter, I remember listening to your SC page a few months back that you posted. You're an excellent player...so yeah just go with what speaks to you best. You're at a level to know what will work better for you then anyone else here.

I'll just say one thing regarding Rolands for me at least. And that's they've never seemed to work out live. And I did spend a lot of time futzing with editing on the RD700GX. I know the 800 is two generations past that , so maybe this newer version is better suited for live playing.

Keep in mind when trying to hear your voicings within say a Quintet or Sextet setting with Tenor, Trumpet & Bone- those horns take up a lotta sonic space, and I've simply found best to have something that is really clear and crisp sounding on comping and soloing.

And for single note lines on uptempo more intense stuff within the trio- I'm, in general, always scuffling it seems more on Roland then Yamaha.

It's a huge drag to have to play real Jazz on an electric keyboard in the first place over even a borderline acoustic ...like a 6' Young Chang or something equally as barely passable.

I just try to go for the path of least resistance with the Yamaha CP4... :)

Wisest post in the thread.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Go for the RD800 that was your first choice , and what you wanted.

If you can't afford it just now just wait and save a little longer and try and avoid taking out credit for it.

Its horses for courses and "one mans sugar is another mans poison"

I have a Roland RD300NX and I really like it and thats all that matters.

" I may not be as good a player as you but I'm having fun "

Archived