Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

StudioLogic Sledge 2.0 VA Synth

DulceLabs.com

With all the interest the 2.0 upgrade is stirring up on the NAMM thread I figured the Sledge deserved a thread of its own.

There is a nice article over on MATRIXSYNTH covering what the 2.0 upgrade entails.

One thing I am confused about: They state the 2.0 will double the poly to 24 -- but I read there was a 1.4 update that doubled the poly from 8 to 16. :idk

I think it's cool that synth over 2 years old can get such a drastic improvement in functionality with just a firmware update, but it does make me wonder: Is there a trade-off somewhere or did some brilliant engineer figure out a way to optimize the code?

GASsing heavily for this, but it is not in the cards for me this year - still, as an synth enthusiast, I am looking forward to reading reviews from owners after the 2.0 is installed.

ONE other thing: When the Sledge was being discussed in a thread a while back, something was mentioned about it having a limited filter. I can't find that thread now, so if anyone who can shed some light on that it would be appreciated.

281340.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume it is basically just like a computer with black and whites and you are sort of loading a new VSTi program that is programmed to have all the hardware mapped to it. The new sample features sort of blow my mind. The 2.0 program seems like a huge rewrite to me.

Nick at Sonic did a great job of addressing it's routing limitation but I don't know if they still hold.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Nick at Sonic did a great job of addressing it's routing limitation but I don't know if they still hold.

That's what I am wondering. Very interested in hearing an A/B comparison after the new firmware goes in. Kudos to the engineers who figured out how to squeeze so much more out of the existing hardware.

I think it's cool that synth over 2 years old can get such a drastic improvement in functionality with just a firmware update, but it does make me wonder: Is there a trade-off somewhere or did some brilliant engineer figure out a way to optimize the code?

My guess is that, rather than re-engineer a new synth from scratch, the electronics in the Sledge are probably basically the same as the Blofeld, and the Blofeld things it couldn't previously (or still can't) do are a result of decisions about interface, market differentiation, and license fee negotiations.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have to add something to my other posts. There was some confusion (I think it was the language barrier) about the sample licensing. I just received another e-mail from Studiologic about it:

"Hello,

the additional cost is only when installing a 2.0 in a previous Sledge; all new Sledge 2.0 (from the factory) do have the Licence already installed.

Sorry if I did not explain well before....

regards"

So if you plan to buy a Sledge 1.5 now and upgrade to 2.0, be aware that you will have the additional cost of the sample license. (Current 99 Euros, or $112 bucks in Library of Congress.)

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

There goes most of that $150 discount if MF doesn't ship 2.0. :(

I'm working on finding that out now. Nothing expected to ship for almost 3 weeks anyway. Went to Washington Music Center earlier today to play it for awhile, how disappointed was I to find the OS was 1.0.

Besides that, I finally got to play the DSI Pro 2 and the Moog Sub 37. Can't go wrong with either one of those. :2thu:

:nopity:

hopefully the Sledge doesn't have the same quality issues like the Numa and Numa 2......

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

MF has these sales several times a year, probably a half dozen last year. So if you are patient you can probably get this on 2.0 at some point.

There are a few vendors that seem to have 10-15% sales on a semi-regular basis. I don't think I've bought anything in the last 5 years that wasn't either on one of these sales or B-stock. It's also nice to sell your equipment and get 90% of what you paid for it new.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

The SL licence will only be available in the beginning of february ... the rest is almost history ... I've installed 2.0 ... it's rather fantastic on such an already wonderfull synth.

CX3II.DX7.DX7IIFD.FS1R.EX5.FIZMO.ION.JV90.KARMA.MICROX.MKS50.MORPHEUS.MS20.Q+.R3.S2000.S950.SLEDGE.SY99.TG77.TX7.TX81Z.WAVESTATIONEX.WAVESTATIONSR.Z1.

http://www.dipching.com

MF has these sales several times a year, probably a half dozen last year. So if you are patient you can probably get this on 2.0 at some point.

I'm also wondering if the price may jump a little for the factory installed 2.0 versions. :idk

I've installed 2.0 ... it's rather fantastic on such an already wonderfull synth.

Can it now do sync sweeps? The biggest limitation of the original to me was the inability do recreate an analog sync sweep.

I understand that the only modulating source is the LFO. Since it has ramp waves I'm good with that (somewhat) if it results in a classic tearing sync sweep.

I went ahead and cancelled my order until they can figure this out. Unit still wasn't scheduled to ship for over 2 weeks, and who knows how solid that date is? I'll revisit this keyboard for sure, just not now.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

There is a series of how to program videos featuring the Sledge.

Here is number 10.

[video:youtube]

• 2 months later...

The Sludge. LOL.

Hate the color of the keys.

[video:youtube]

I've been jonesing for one of these for a while, but I haven't been able to play one in person. The fact that they've given it semi-weighted keys might tempt me to get one anyway. I like the black better than the original yellow, but it sorta looks like a Pittsburgh Steelers color rush uniform.

http://www.studiologic-music.com/images/Sledge_Black/totally_improved.png

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

There are environment consideration I take into account when judging colors. Some Yamaha stuff like the MOX6 and MOX8 are pretty hard to read in the dark. Not being able to read my controls can make me blue.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/CEB2/3rdbase2_zps8714a0b2.jpg

It's encouraging that Studiologic and Waldorf keep tinkering away at this. It seems like they have been fixing many of the original's shortcomings along the way (low polyphony, weak sync sweep, inability to route filter cutoff to key velocity) - and now they've added a better keybed and and vastly improved the look.

With it's oversized dimensions and monstrous front panel, it's definitely bucking the trend for a modern VA. You're either going to love it or hate it.

I love it. I think it's sexy as hell, and personally see no problems navigating those oversized knobs in a dimly lit environment. Plus there is a backlit display panel for patch selection if I must.

My response to look of the schoolbus original was more of an "Eeew" while this one is definitely more "Ooh!" :D

The Sludge. LOL.

:roll:

Hate the color of the keys.

I don't myself, but wouldn't be using it live if I ever pulled the trigger on one. Been talking about for a few years now, just don't need it. TUMS working well. ;)

Also, Dr. Fortner working for Gearslutz.com does a great job as always. :2thu: New, lower price for original Sledge. :thu:

Some good points made. A few thoughts and questions.

There is a Waldorf programmed synth engine in the Sledge. The sledge could be X86 based since Waldorf has Windows VST synth engines. But I doubt it since we're not seeing any cooling fins or fan ports on the body. Which makes me think it's DSP like the Blofeld and it's also very possible it's very similar silicon as well. Maybe the hardware was already capable of this many voices from the start. Is there a limit on the poly depending what sample rate the engine runs? Does it run 96k, 48k or 44.1?

Are there actually build quality or other quality control issues on the Numa 2? I know the 1 had a few niggles, but I haven't actually heard many if any complaints from Numa 2 owners.

Those of you that went for the Numa on the first run, any problems to speak of?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Which makes me think it's DSP like the Blofeld and it's also very possible it's very similar silicon as well.

For some reason I was under the impression that the engine is a "crippled" Blofeld. I think I read something about that here in another post. :idk :idk :idk

There's no modulation matrix like on the Blofeld, but something like that requires a lot of menu diving. I think is why it's not included.

What's there is what's on the front panel. It's just the basics, and there's some odd choices, but it's what I'd prefer on a synth of this type.

It is what it is...

Zaphod a question about polyphony if I may: Does the listed 24 voices max hold with all three oscillators enabled, or is this one of those inflated stats where it's only possible if you're playing a single oscillator per voice?

I'm reading conflicting reports about sync sweeps. Can you get a convincing sync sweep with that ramp generator as modulator?

Listening to a couple of demos it sounds like the Sledge is capable of patch remain, which would be useful in some situations. Comment?

That Sledge Black looks so badass cool that I'll probably just get one sight unseen when they become available.

Zaphod a question about polyphony if I may: Does the listed 24 voices max hold with all three oscillators enabled, or is this one of those inflated stats where it's only possible if you're playing a single oscillator per voice?

Good question, will have to research. I run many layered patches, and have not run out of polyphony.But I am pretty sure none of my layered patches contain all 6 oscillators (which is what you would get in layered mode, in effect, with 3 on each layer slice)

I'm reading conflicting reports about sync sweeps. Can you get a convincing sync sweep with that ramp generator as modulator?

Probably have to try this out on my youtube channel aka Mark Pigott

Listening to a couple of demos it sounds like the Sledge is capable of patch remain, which would be useful in some situations. Comment?

That Sledge Black looks so badass cool that I'll probably just get one sight unseen when they become available.

Patch remain? You mean sustain pedal? sure!

Centre Point Stereo Monitor

10" mini tremor sub

If you are layering two patches with three oscillators each and getting more than 4 voices simultaneously, at least they're not counting individual oscillators as voices. If with that layer you can put all 10 digits down on the keys at the same time with no voices cutting out, that's pretty good.

Wow you have a lot of Youtube vids. Any idea which one would have the sync sweeps?

Patch remain means that if you change patches while holding notes (either on the keyboard or sustain pedal) those held notes don't cut off.

Thanks for your help Mark! :thu: You're the only person I know who has one of these :)

Archived