Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

StudioLogic Sledge 2.0 VA Synth

DulceLabs.com

Thank you! One of my favorite things about the Sledge is the polyphonic glide. And it's got the old school "slide" that slows as you approach the note. Is that logarithmic glide?

Anyway, I might have to keep it around a bit longer!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And it's got the old school "slide" that slows as you approach the note. Is that logarithmic glide?

We used to call that exponential glide. The first Moog modular keyboards had it. It's essentially the curve of a charging capacitor, which is exponential.

Moe

---

Ah yes, I remember that terminology. My first synth, a DX-27, allowed you to choose between logarithmic and exponential. I don't remember how close it came to emulating it digitally...

Funny how some analog synths have exponential glide and others don't. My ARPs have it, my Univox Mini-Korg has it, but my Prophet 5 doesn't and my friend's mid-70s Minimoog doesn't have it. Oddly enough, my late-70's Micromoog does have it. The Minimoog Voyager doesn't have it either, although I'm getting mine updated at the factory, so maybe they'll install that option...It's my favorite type of portamento - something so funky about it!

And it's got the old school "slide" that slows as you approach the note. Is that logarithmic glide?

We used to call that exponential glide. The first Moog modular keyboards had it. It's essentially the curve of a charging capacitor, which is exponential.

Ha! So it is just the natural behavior of the capacitor. Thanks for the lesson!

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Yup! A useful side effect of the exponential charge cycle is that musically, it takes the same amount of time to glide between any two pitches, no matter the interval - because the capacitor charges faster for a higher voltage difference.

The Lucky Man solo, with its wide leaps could not have been done with linear glide.

Another name for exponential glide is Constant Time, for this reason. Linear glide is sometimes called Constant Rate. Accurate labels but more confusing for the user.

Moe

---

I have read a great deal of misinformation about the Sledge II, probably coming from negative nellies or just regurgitating what they have read on the net.

To my ears, my Sledge II can do things my Waldorf Blofeld can't.

the effects are nicer on the Sledge, you do get two wavetables if you layer, you can access the Notch, Comb and PPG (as well as disable the filter) via cc, or realtime control from a Blofeld keyboard (not the module, no midi out)

The ability to FM WITHOUT enabling an Oscillator is great (as on the Blofeld the Oscillators have to be on, and in a certain order.

As I own two Blofeld keyboards and a module I can compare and contrast these with the Sledge and I can tell you that the Sledge is a different beast than the Blofeld, and not a crippled or scaled down one.

And as a 52 year old I get grumpy when I read the misinformation!

Centre Point Stereo Monitor

10" mini tremor sub

I owned a Sledge while it was still in OS1.0. I also owned a Blofeld Keyboard and a module. From what I recall, the Blofeld could cut through a mix without any issues, whereas I could never get the Sledge to compete with the distorted guitars in the band. But, as I said, that was still in 1.0. They might have updated it to the point that the Sledge now sounds better, but I would need to hear the difference in person.

Right now I'm thinking of getting another Blofeld Module though..

The Lucky Man solo, with its wide leaps could not have been done with linear glide.

True that. I've been playing "Lucky Man' in honor of Keith on my Nord Stage 2 (12-string guitar sample on slot A, mono-synth on slot B), and I have to have one hand on the glide function to make it anywhere close to the original. Also have to increase the reverb towards the end of the solo. Lots of fun, regardless!

So here are some weird things I've noticed about my Sledge that hopefully they can update:

1. Mono mode: should you be playing in poly mode and want to switch to mono, you need to wait for the amp release envelope to fully close or you get this "unison"-type sound that doesn't trigger properly and sounds out of phase.

2. When saving a patch, you have to pre-emptively know where you are going to save as you can easily overwrite an existing patch because the screen doesn't give you any feedback as to what you are writing to other than the patch number. Also, can't seem to find the lower-case letter function when naming patches.

3. LFO in poly mode syncs with each note played. A very nice function, but would be nice if you could sync all voices to one LFO, like on most poly-synths I've played.

All things aside, I have to remember that while I try to make the Sledge sound like this or that, it truly is its own instrument and has its own sound. A very cool one at that!

Interesting about the Blofeld module, but some observation on the Facebook Blofeld group, it seems to be the modules that have most of the issues. I have argued, in theory, that the keyboard is the deluxe version, and may possibly have a better

build quality (but this is pure speculation on my part)

I owned a Sledge while it was still in OS1.0. I also owned a Blofeld Keyboard and a module. From what I recall, the Blofeld could cut through a mix without any issues, whereas I could never get the Sledge to compete with the distorted guitars in the band. But, as I said, that was still in 1.0. They might have updated it to the point that the Sledge now sounds better, but I would need to hear the difference in person.

Right now I'm thinking of getting another Blofeld Module though..

10" mini tremor sub

As anything besides my named patches as called MARK INIT (1 osc, 8' sawtooth), it allows me to scroll up from my named patches with the advance button, but yes you have to be carefull. I moved my patches in the patch librarian and renamed any init to MARK INIT.

Patches 1-99 will be layers/ splits

100-199 is unused

200-299 are my non layered named patches

and 300-399 are those "factory" presets.

I also replaced all the samples with the MELOTRON samples..

So here are some weird things I've noticed about my Sledge that hopefully they can update:

2. When saving a patch, you have to pre-emptively know where you are going to save as you can easily overwrite an existing patch because the screen doesn't give you any feedback as to what you are writing to other than the patch number. Also, can't seem to find the lower-case letter function when naming patches.

10" mini tremor sub

You found the secret way to get unisono on the Sledge!!! I have been looking for this for 6 months. You can exploit this by applying an LFO at say 16 depth, it will add a very nice chorus to the sound.

Also , if you hold a chord in mono mode, it usually gives you that phasy unisono put in poly mode.

Good find!

1. Mono mode: should you be playing in poly mode and want to switch to mono, you need to wait for the amp release envelope to fully close or you get this "unison"-type sound that doesn't trigger properly and sounds out of phase.

10" mini tremor sub

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have some questions about velocity control of filter cutoff:

Is it a menu option?

If so, is it on/off or does it have a sensitivity range?

Is it (velocity control) simply added to the filter envelope Amount?

Thanks

Archived