Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Light My Fire: A Classic Rock Salute to The Doors

Shamanczarek

This album came out in June 2014 and few people seem to know about it. Produced by former Yes member Billy Sherwood it features several major Classic/Prog Rock Keyboardists, singers, and Guitarists. On keys we have:

Keith Emerson

Rick Wakeman

Patrick Moraz

Tony Kaye

Geoff Downes

Thijs Van Leer

Brian Auger

Edgar Winter

Mark Stein

Jimmy Greenspoon

Ken Hensley

Chick Churchill

Christopher North

Jordan Rudess

Guitarists include:

Steve Howe

Steve Morse

Jeff "Skunk" Baxter

Leslie West

Pat Travers

Mark Farner

Larry Coryell

Steve Cropper

Chris Spedding

Mick Box

Zoot Horn Rollo

Steve Hillage

Ted Turner

Roye Albrighton

Elliot Easton

Todd Rungren

Vocalists in addition to some Keyboardists and Guitarists who take lead vocals:

Ian Gillan

Lou Gramm

Graham Bonnet

Joe Lynn Turner

Robert Gordon

Jimi Jamison

David Johansen

Eric Martin

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, how did I miss that!?

I do wonder sometimes about the people who market classic rock stuff - I only narrowly avoided missing Focus and Martin Barre playing in my hometown a couple of years ago, the publicity for the event was terrible, with a turnout of less than 150 people in a venue that had a capacity for over 500; on the upside, the queue to meet Thijs van Leer after the show was remarkably short :thu:

Gear feeds the soul.

Slight nit-pick, I don't know if Billy Sherwood was ever actually considered a member of Yes, although he wrote, played and I think sang a lot on their Open Your Eyes album.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

I just previewed most of the songs on iTunes. They mostly sound like crap! OY!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Nobody will ever do these songs better than The Doors. I think this album is interesting just for the magnitude of the musicians who participated. Good or bad who would ever expect to hear Ian Gillan, Rick Wakeman, and Steve Howe play Light My Fire, Pat Travers and Jimmy Greenspoon doing The End, Mark Farner and Chick Churchill doing Break on Through, etc?
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nobody will ever do these songs better than The Doors. I think this album is interesting just for the magnitude of the musicians who participated. Good or bad who would ever expect to hear Ian Gillan, Rick Wakeman, and Steve Howe play Light My Fire, Pat Travers and Jimmy Greenspoon doing The End, Mark Farner and Chick Churchill doing Break on Through, etc?

True.. but the arrangements are pretty dismal.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

It may sound sacrilegious, but I never really liked The Doors. I thought the original arrangements were pretty dismal. Are they even worse on this album?

Think I'll pass

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

It may sound sacrilegious, but I never really liked The Doors. I thought the original arrangements were pretty dismal. Are they even worse on this album?

Think I'll pass

You shall be whipped to death by a wet noodle! If you felt that way about the original arrangements, you make just like these. Seriously, they reminded me of William Shatner's rock cover album. "Love Her Madly" is especially unfortunate.

Here is one of the "better" ones... Bathed in reverb and effects, like the others.

[video:youtube]

Now this is kinda cool...(except for the bad clonewheel...)

OH YEAH! Found a winner! This works...

Hmm, thanks for the clips HD, think I'll pass.

Doors were my first huge obsession. I've mentioned before that listening to Ray was crucial in my transition from playing written classical stuff to learning how to improvise, without the added burden of learning about the blues at the same time.

They have not aged as well perhaps as other acts, but they were on the bleeding edge of improvisational jazz rock and the psychedelic mood of their first 2 albums was a mind bender.

Moe

---

Hmm, thanks for the clips HD, think I'll pass.

Doors were my first huge obsession. I've mentioned before that listening to Ray was crucial in my transition from playing written classical stuff to learning how to improvise, without the added burden of learning about the blues at the same time.

They have not aged as well perhaps as other acts, but they were on the bleeding edge of improvisational jazz rock and the psychedelic mood of their first 2 albums was a mind bender.

+1

listening to Ray was crucial in my transition from playing written classical stuff to learning how to improvise, without the added burden of learning about the blues at the same time.

I've never thought of the Doors that way before, but I totally get what you're saying. RM's solos were very easy to understand and follow. He'd take a simple motif and build on it gradually and logically. I can see how learning this sort of improvisation would be a good stepping stone for a classically trained player.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

listening to Ray was crucial in my transition from playing written classical stuff to learning how to improvise, without the added burden of learning about the blues at the same time.

I've never thought of the Doors that way before, but I totally get what you're saying. RM's solos were very easy to understand and follow. He'd take a simple motif and build on it gradually and logically. I can see how learning this sort of improvisation would be a good stepping stone for a classically trained player.

I got drafted into my first band when I was 14. The local bully (drummer naturally) cornered me in the bathroom at school and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He strong armed an organ and amp from another hapless kid and I joined. A week later I was learning Light My Fire.

I may have learned to improvise anyway, but it was nice to have some success immediately. I could grasp what Ray was doing and that was important.

Moe

---

I could grasp what Ray was doing and that was important.

It's all about thirds.

It continues to fascinate me how his style was so tightly constructed around a particular interval like that.

Thirds provide a chord sense, and can be used to create sevenths.

Thirds can provide economy of movement which can be handy when playing LH bass.

Here's LA Woman with Patrick Moraz on keys. I first found out about this album from reading an interview with Patrick. He said he thought that Jimi Jamison sounded the most like Morrison of all the vocalists involved.

Here's LA Woman with Patrick Moraz on keys. I first found out about this album from reading an interview with Patrick. He said he thought that Jimi Jamison sounded the most like Morrison of all the vocalists involved.

Though I'm not sure that the aim of re-doing Doors songs should include having a singer sound like Morrison. I mean, if you want to hear something that sounds authentic, why not just listen to the Doors? Better, I think, to take the songs in entirely different directions.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Once our generation is dead and gone, I believe the Doors will be regarded as the most important band of the 1960s. That's because they are absolutely worshiped by millennials. When you think about it, they were the prototypes of the alt rock scene from the last 20 years or so.

I gave a quick listen to a few of the clips. It was better than I thought. But it's still weird to assemble a bunch of virtuoso musicians for a project like this - music from a band that was the antithesis of virtuosity and showing off of chops.

Once our generation is dead and gone, I believe the Doors will be regarded as the most important band of the 1960s. That's because they are absolutely worshiped by millennials.

That will pass too. ;-) Really, the Doors may be remembered, but I think the most important band of the 1960s will have to be the Beatles, both musically and culturally.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Once our generation is dead and gone, I believe the Doors will be regarded as the most important band of the 1960s. That's because they are absolutely worshiped by millennials.

That will pass too. ;-) Really, the Doors may be remembered, but I think the most important band of the 1960s will have to be the Beatles, both musically and culturally.

The who?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The who?

They were Paul McCartney's old band. (I overheard this in a club a couple of years ago when we called a Beatles tune)

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

To clarify... I don't think the Doors were the most important band of the 60s. I wouldn't even put them in the top 5. But ask that same question to young adults age 21-35.

I run a weeknight karaoke show that's primarily geared for this age group. Outside of "Come Together" the Beatles are never sung (and that one isn't sung all that much). The Stones never get sung period. But the Doors are sung every night.

That band is absolutely worshiped by people 40 years younger than those of us who grew up in that era. And when we are all dead and gone...

Interestingly, in 2013 Billy Sherwood produced an album with William Shatner called Ponder the Mystery. Sherwood's band Circa with Tony Kaye backed Shatner in live performances.

The recording features:

Rick Wakeman

Edgar Winter

George Duke

Edgar Froese

Nik Turner

Zoot Horn Rollo

Vince Gill

Robby Krieger

Mick Jones

Al Di Meola

Steve Vai

Joel Vandroogenbroeck

Simon House

I would rank The Doors as one of the most influential bands of the 60's. And I agree, kids nowadays dig them.

I would rank The Doors as one of the most influential bands of the 60's. And I agree, kids nowadays dig them.

Actually, teenagers have dug them for decades. Even back when I was in HS (in the 80's) there was a segment of the population that was all about some Doors. Then came the movie with Val Kilmer, and "a segment" became "f***ing everybody"...

Personally, I can't stand Robby's guitar on the first several albums. I used to use "Light My Fire" as an example of what NOT to do when playing a guitar solo when I was teaching. Oh - and Jim's drug-addled pseudo-poetry bored me to tears. Ray was fun, though, and so was their drummer - really outstanding sense of volume control in context.

Awful album, just don't like albums like this, like Coverdale has said, no point when you can listen to the real thing. Yes we are still getting young kids at our weekly tribute shows in Venice. This year it's gonna go wild as it's the 50th anniversary of the Doors . This summer is gonna be insane. It usually is but this will take it up a lot of notches!

Awful album, just don't like albums like this, like Coverdale has said, no point when you can listen to the real thing. Yes we are still getting young kids at our weekly tribute shows in Venice. This year it's gonna go wild as it's the 50th anniversary of the Doors . This summer is gonna be insane. It usually is but this will take it up a lot of notches!

Hey John! Send me the details about your Venice shows. I would love to drive up and see you guys!

Archived