Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

6 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

BAND NAME!  

I checked the band name registry, and the name is available.

• Like 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

15 hours ago, Mark Schmieder said:

I can see how the sustain aspect of distortion can be thought of as meeting some similar goals to a compression pedal (depending on how it's used), but I personally would not think of the pedals as interchangeable, regardless of setting.

I think it'd be understandable for someone to consider overdrive and distortion, whether from pedals or amps or plugin apps or whatnot, to have a degree of compression similar to that of a compressor pedal; but to simply think that OD/Dist pedals are "a variation on compression" is ridiculously ignorant.

I recall many, many years ago being informed by a half-assed Army Cook that his Brother played electric guitar and that "distortion makes an echo that makes it sound like you're playing a lot faster than you really can"... :rolleyes: 

Say, how 'bout that Octron4?! :D :thu:  

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

20 hours ago, Caevan O’Shite said:

"I recall many, many years ago being informed by a half-assed Army Cook that his Brother played electric guitar and that "distortion makes an echo that makes it sound like you're playing a lot faster than you really can"... :rolleyes: "

Finally, a definition of distortion which makes sense.

• Haha 3
Scott Fraser

I did my final shootout of the EHX Glove vs. the Vox Copperhead tonight, and accidentally wrote two songs in the process, but it's worth noting that both songs got inspired while playing the Vox pedal. After much careful listening, I noticed what the Glove is missing, in spite of being an awesome pedal: it doesn't crunch differently based on dynamics, like the Vox. In other words, this is probably why I perceived it as replacing the sound of the amp and sounding like a recording, whereas the Vox pedal feels and sounds and reacts like a tube amp, even if not plugged into one. I'll put the recently purchased Glove up for sale tomorrow. Less is more. I believe in focusing on fewer choices, to improve one's technique.

• Like 5

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Nothing really new to report, but…I just added Chase Bliss Audio to my list of pedal brands that I’m probably buying new ONLY (joining Spaceman Effects).  Not that there’s anything inherently wrong with buying them used.  They’re great pedals, and they’re well made.

But the used market on them is RIDICULOUS.  I had long been interested in their Spectre flanger.  Hell of a stompbox.  But the price tag kept me from getting one every time I looked.  I could afford one , no problem, but I had other priorities.

I just looked at them on Reverb.  The Spectre has been discontinued, and prices for used ones are going between $800-1100.

• Like 2

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

2 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

I had long been interested in their Spectre flanger.  Hell of a stompbox.  But the price tag kept me from getting one every time I looked.  I could afford one , no problem, but I had other priorities.

I just looked at them on Reverb.  The Spectre has been discontinued, and prices for used ones are going between $800-1100.

I am very sorry to hear that, and I know how it is...

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 8:54 PM, Mark Schmieder said:

I saw an article that says that overdrive is a way of making your tube amp sound like a solid state amp, and is mostly used by country and blues players.

The same article says that distortion pedals are almost exclusively used by heavy metal guitarists, and that it's a variation on compression.

WTH?!?!?

This sounds like someone whose "knowledge" (I use the word so loosely it's falling apart)  comes from a none-too-deep perusal of the Sweetwater catalog, or something? I'd also suggest that it's a VERY young person, like 8-12 years old, whose confidence in their assertions comes from blissful ignorance.

Dare I ask where you found this?

• Like 3

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

17 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

Nothing really new to report, but…I just added Chase Bliss Audio to my list of pedal brands that I’m probably buying new ONLY (joining Spaceman Effects).  Not that there’s anything inherently wrong with buying them used.  They’re great pedals, and they’re well made.

But the used market on them is RIDICULOUS.  I had long been interested in their Spectre flanger.  Hell of a stompbox.  But the price tag kept me from getting one every time I looked.  I could afford one , no problem, but I had other priorities.

Sorry you missed out on that . . .

Several of my local EM buddies have strongly recommended the Chase Bliss MOOD pedal as something I'd enjoy, but at their price point, I don't expect I'll ever get one.

• Like 1

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

• 4 weeks later...

I think I like this... I think it'd be cool to stack reverb into this, particularly the flanged reverb of my Keeley Gold Star Reverb...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

I like the octave down and sub-octave tones, as well as the fuzz and modulation. Seems like an excellent, more cooperative alternative to the classic MXR Blue Box.

However, me, personally- I would avoid the digital octave up and- especially- the two-octaves-up sounds like syphilis.

I’m amused that they point out its compact and rugged.  Like a MXR pedal would be anything but!

Niiiiice pedal though.  Adding it to the shopping list.

FYI: to any of those who occasionally import gear from the UK, NOW IS THE TIME TO SHOP!  Because of the blink and you missed it administration of England’s PM Liz Truss, the currency is at a historical low of approximately .9£ to $1.

Might get me something new from ThorpyFX…

• Like 3

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

My first response is "That was a really low-energy video demo." The guy didn't really seem all that excited, IMHO.

I first encountered the Slicer effect in my Boss GT-3, so it's been around since the end of the 90's. I also had the big Twin Pedal SL-20 Slicer for a while, but . . .

It's a lot of fun to blend with other effects, and experiment with putting it in different places in the signal chain, so I was surprised that the demo video didn't really explore that at all? On my GT-3, I quickly discovered how to create a "Who's Next"-sounding patch by running the Slicer through a Swept Filter; running the Slicer though a Phaser produces much the same sound. I can easily picture someone combining the SL-2 with the SY-1 Synth pedal, to create faux-Sequencer sounds.

My issue with the big SL-20 was a lack of flexibility. You couldn't do anything to change the preset Patterns, so unless you found some Patterns that inspired you, you'd have to deliberately compose around them, using the Slicer Pattern as a Rhythm Guide of a sort. I don't expect that you can change the Patterns on the SL-2, either.

One notable upgrade to this version - controlling the Tempo with an Expression Pedal. It may seem obvious, but on the SL-20, the ONLY function the EXP Pedal controlled was the Volume Level of the Slicer effect. Even within the GT-series Processors, you can Assign the EXP Pedal to control the Rate of the Slicer effect.

I'd really like to hear Andy from Reverb demo this pedal. A little enthusiasm goes a long way . . .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

My first response is "That was a really low-energy video demo." The guy didn't really seem all that excited, IMHO.

Mhm~Hmn...

I first encountered the Slicer effect in my Boss GT-3, so it's been around since the end of the 90's.

My issue with the big SL-20 was a lack of flexibility. You couldn't do anything to change the preset Patterns, so unless you found some Patterns that inspired you, you'd have to deliberately compose around them, using the Slicer Pattern as a Rhythm Guide of a sort.

The biggest reason I never got one...

I'd really like to hear Andy from Reverb demo this pedal. A little enthusiasm goes a long way . . .

Indeed! There are a few other such music-gear video demonstrators who also tend to do a particularly good job at these things, often making some cool music or reinterpretations of classic tunes.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Winston Psmith said:

Yup. He referred to several features which he never demonstrated nor expounded upon. Like pitch shifting, storing user presets, the SFX settings, etc. Seems to me he just opened the box, played with it for 5 minutes, then did the video. Lame.

• Like 4
Scott Fraser

Love the idea, trying to think about how I would incorporate it into my current FX rig. I'd really have to work on making the most of it, particularly in a live setting? From my perspective, it's almost like using a Patchbay or a Sub-Mixer, with 8 I/O or S/R jacks on that thing, plus the AC adapter input. A demo showing how you might want to connect it to your pedal chain would be very helpful.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dannyalcatraz said:

I was just informed this exists:

If I didn't already have a fantastic clean boost or two (or more, if counting the volume boost functions of several excellent pedals including a chorus and a wah of all things), and a killer Rangemaster Treble Booster type pedal, I'd be VERY interested in the ThorpyFX Heavy Water Dual Boost- I'd snap one up ASAP! As it is, though, I really don't think that there's anything there that I can't get from pedals that I already have.

But if I didn't have those, this'd be an excellent candidate for populating a pedalboard.

9 hours ago, hurricane hugo said:

If you have any familiarity with Sunn (((O, you already know what this is going to sound like, but it can do more. Momentary-switch octaves!

I like the sounds that this pedal is capable of; though I have plenty of pedals that I could stack in combinations to cop a lot, perhaps all, of what it can do. Such as my Octron or Fuzzarro Ƨuperfuzz (I have the only one made ;):D) stacked into my Fiery Red Horse or SL Drive or Plexitube stacked into my 2B or CS Ranger... yeah...

I do not happen to have a Rat or any permutation or clone of one, though. Maybe this would be an excuse for me to get, say, a JHS PackRat. Or maybe, just maybe, a Life Pedal...  ;):D

• Like 2

Lots of pedals in the $300+/- range, in that roundup . . . You're looking at Modular Synth $$$ to assemble a Guitar pedalboard, at that rate.

• Like 2

🤔 Aaaah, folks are still comin' up with ways to teach an old dog new tricks- in this case, the Origin Effects Halcyon Green Overdrive brings some great new features to the venerable Tube Screamer breed. :cool: 

I think that this pedal and its combination of new tricks would have served me VERY well with my Carvin Vintage 33 amp, which I almost always had set to its  lead/overdrive "Soak" Channel, while constantly adjusting my guitars volume-controls and my "touch" to vary from clean to mean to scream.

If this pedal works out as well as claimed as an "always on" pedal for such 'clean-up' techniques, it might have provided me with the final fattened, rounded, mid-boosted overdriven lead-tone with a little treble and bass roll-off that I wanted to get with that amp when I rolled my guitars volume-knobs all the way up, without stomping on any footswitches.

The DRY knob puts me in mind of the SparkleDrive, another take on the TS, but the Adaptive Circuitry?

Boss had a short-lived Distortion pedal, the DA-2 Adaptive Distortion, using their MDP/Multi-Dimension Processing, which all of their "X"-series pedals use. The description of the Adaptive Circuitry within the Halcyon sounds very similar? It would be interesting to compare the Halcyon with the Boss OD-1X.

• Like 2