Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What about roland KC keyboard amplifier series?

Hi guys.

All is said:

Do you have any experience with tha roland KC keyboard amplifier series on stage?

I had an idea for small gigs:

Why not 2 KC 150 for my set(2 keyboards)playing small gigs?

I don't have any idea about the sound..it seems amplifiers like that are not as used as in the past..

Is there any advantage with these solutions?

Thanks for sharing experience about that:)

Nord stage 2 EX88,Nord electro 5D,roland RD800,Roland FA08,Korg kingkorg,Korg PA4x,Yamaha PSR s970

Native instrument maschine studio et komplete 10.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I never owned one but they are popular backline and have used them plenty of times.

They are functional for stage monitors due to their loud mid rangy honky tone that is easy to hear. They are convenient and the built in DI in my experience has been clean.

The advantage is their convenient one package mixer/amp/speaker/DI solution for multi keyboards.

Disadvantage is they sound like shit.

I will gladly use one if it is backlined.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Oh boy, you are opening the biggest can of worms imaginable with your question.

Many of us here have considerable experience with these models, and most of us hate them. They sound pretty awful. They are derided often, and with good reason.

Most of us would recommend getting full range, powered PA speakers. Search the forum for enormous amount of information that has been discussed over the years. But even the most inexpensive powered PA speakers will likely sound better than the KC series....

Where´s the damn chainsaw in the smiley´s department ?

A.C.

Under the "Halloween" section.. only available to Keyboard Magazine Subscribers...

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-violent013.gif

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/images/smilies/chainsaw-smilie.gif

http://www.reel-time.com/forum/images/smilies/violent-smiley-019.gif

duck. :facepalm:

funny!

Great thread!

That being said...I used 2 KC100's (now KC150,) and I found them fine. For monitors facing me, I didn't have to crank them also, I'm not a audiophile or a big spender for lounge gigs :) As long as speakers don't hurt my ears.

I also used them when moving. Two of them sideways and I would put the keyboards on them and had space underneath for bags, etc.

I currently use 30 year old GK keyboard amps in stereo, oh well.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Even a Behringer powered monitor sounds better than a KC amp. Quite honestly, and I'll probably get a lot of crap for this--I've never heard anything marketed as a "Keyboard amp" that sounded pleasing to my ears, but that's just me.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, MX61/Korg Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I had an idea for small gigs:

Why not 2 KC 150 for my set(2 keyboards)playing small gigs?

A pair of EV ZXa1 at about the same price will sound a lot better, and as a side benefit, be a lot easier to carry around (the weigh half as much). (Though also, I'm not sure from your post that you necessarily need a pair of whatever you get.)

Is there any advantage with these solutions?

Built in mixer, I guess. You're better off with a better sounding speaker and a small separate mixer.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hi everybody.

Many thanks for all these(sometimes funny)posts.

I have so much respect for all the community here because i know people is very kind and experienced.

So i have so much consideration for what you write.

lekanout, this is an example where a quick search before posting would have been immensely helpful to you... but enjoy the fireworks that are coming. twothumbs

Sven:

I did that with the words "roland kc150"with the search function in this forum,and i didn't find a lot of things..

I did a research in google with "KC150 reviews",and didn't find so much things too.

I thought at first it was simple to have information about these products but strangely you have far more with amp speakers.

A pair of EV ZXa1 at about the same price will sound a lot better, and as a side benefit, be a lot easier to carry around (the weigh half as much). (Though also, I'm not sure from your post that you necessarily need a pair of whatever you get.)

In fact here's the problem:

I have montarbo powered speakers(nm250 A,well known in europe)and they are quite good,but little so in the bass range they can't do miracle.

I'm using often as wedge monitor on little scenes(we are speaking about little gigs because for sure in the big scenes we know structure,engineers etc are here),or sometimes for direct sound.(i have a little mackie vlz3 for premixing my keyboards,and put the stereo output of my mackie in the 2 montarbo for stereo)

If i'm not directly amplified by my little montarbo,i'm sending the mackie output in the PAsystem of mly band.

The problem is simple:

My sound is not directy near my instrument,but with the voices...while guitar,bass(with their amp)are "near" their sound.

So i thought"why not having my sound with 2 specialized keyboard amp...near me,like in the old ages..a kind of direct and pure sound in the same spirit than the guitarist near his amp.

I thought maybe it wasn't a bad idea..

I thought maybe it was a "fatter"solution.

So i made this topic to have some feedback...and wasn't delused about all you said.

Well,it seems there is a consensus about how shit they are :))

So let me asking you another question:

Is it possible to find today some specialized keyboards amp who can do better (for pure and direct output,like guitar amp)than high class amplified speakers?

Thnks again,and excuse me,i promise you i'm doing my best because i love this forum and this community,but sometime i can't understand all the subtilities of the posts from others because of my native language!

Nord stage 2 EX88,Nord electro 5D,roland RD800,Roland FA08,Korg kingkorg,Korg PA4x,Yamaha PSR s970

Native instrument maschine studio et komplete 10.

What are the opinions on Peavey KB amps? I have the KB2. I don't have enough experience to judge their sound quality.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I always liked the sound of my crate KX80 (until you hit the limiter), but at 70 lbs, the only place I've put it lately is the classifieds.

Get powered speakers that can sit like a wedge monitor. I use and love the Yorkville NX55P. But there are lots of other good choices, Yamaha DXR, QSC K10, etc.

My Yorkies sound great, -3dB at 45Hz makes for a very solid piano bass sound.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I have a pair of Carlsbro Hornet 45's which are in my studio and sound great.......... http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/carlsbro-hornet-45-keyboard-89721.jpg
Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Best sounding keyboard rigs are what most of us used before powered speakers.

large 3-way passive cabinets with 15" drivers. Rack mounted power amps, mixer, etc..... My old keyboard rig was larger than some band's PAs. LOL

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have a Peavey KB3. Used to have KC150 (it started "buzzing".. don't know why)

Pros of Peavey KB3

Sounds reasonably good

Built like tank

Combo amp benefits - mixer, speakers, amp, line out all in one

Monitor channel you can put PA feed through (I use that frequently)

Cons of Peavey KB3

Very heavy ( downside of built like tank)

Not as loud as it looks

If you are going to use a keyboard amp as personal monitor, that is an OK strategy (I always go through the PA with keyboards). If you want something loud and clean... powered PA speaker a better bet (even if you need separate mixer). Just my view.

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

My old keyboard rig was larger than some band's PAs. LOL

Yup. :D

My EAW FR 153 pair:

http://reloadedrocks.com/SkynnynLynnyrd/Promo/Bills/8663.gifhttp://reloadedrocks.com/SkynnynLynnyrd/Promo/Bills/8663.gif

Things change.

It's nice that really good sound is now available from a much smaller, and lighter, box these days.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I have a KC550 on stage. it sounds like ass. I cannot imagine a lesser model sounds less ass-like. I never play without running to FOH, so it only annoys me and my bandmates. they all notice the difference between it and PA speakers.

I stopped taking it to rehearsal, I just plug into the PA. I don't take it to many gigs anymore either. bigger venues that can give me my own monitor mix, where I hear my keys thru, say, KCs, I always go ... wow.

What I like the most about it is I can stack my cords/accys box, backpack, costume box(as needed) and keyboard stand on top of it and roll it. The stacked gear raises the push height so its quite easy. pushing it alone, have to bend over too far.

its an ass on wheels, really. and, as mentioned, not a nice one.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.